• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (1 Viewer)

Six additions from Kuwait - Socotra Cormorant, White-cheeked Tern, Ruppell's Weaver, Hume's Whitethroat, Basra Reed Warbler & Afghan Babbler.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Socotra Cormorant.jpg
    Socotra Cormorant.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 31
  • White-cheeked Tern.jpg
    White-cheeked Tern.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Ruppell's Weaver.jpg
    Ruppell's Weaver.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Hume's Whitethroat.jpg
    Hume's Whitethroat.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 28
  • Common Babbler.jpg
    Common Babbler.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 36
While going for a new species in Belgium (Iberian Chiffchaff - already seen in Spain), I got stuck at our coast, on which turned out to be a great migration day. This resulted in a new lifer for me: Pallid Harrier. One of my most biggest 'misses' until now in Belgium.

Just back from a trip to Spain, where lifers:

Egyptian Vulture
Common Rock Thrush
Black-bellied Sandgrouse

and ended the trip on arriving at Barcelona airport:

Monk Parakeet

Attachments

• IMG_3609.jpg
    IMG_3609.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Wow, haven't been able to contribute to this thread for a while!

Kirtland's Warbler

Pelee Island, Ontario, Canada.

All the sweeter because (a) it's a genuinely rare bird in Ontario (and fairly rare ANYWHERE), and (b)I've been trying to find one for about the past 28 springs.

Wow, haven't been able to contribute to this thread for a while!

Kirtland's Warbler

Pelee Island, Ontario, Canada.

All the sweeter because (a) it's a genuinely rare bird in Ontario (and fairly rare ANYWHERE), and (b)I've been trying to find one for about the past 28 springs.

Wow, great job with the Kirtland's Warbler! Still waiting for one here in eastern Pennsylvania, not getting my hopes up too much (though PA has a few records).

Wow, great job with the Kirtland's Warbler! Still waiting for one here in eastern Pennsylvania, not getting my hopes up too much (though PA has a few records).

Thanks, birdmeister.

Keep your hopes up, there were four recent sightings in Southern Ontario (the Pelee Island bird being the latest). That is not a lot, of course; but it is much better than when i started birding, when the average number seen each spring was pretty close to zero.

Peter C.

Thanks, birdmeister.

Keep your hopes up, there were four recent sightings in Southern Ontario (the Pelee Island bird being the latest). That is not a lot, of course; but it is much better than when i started birding, when the average number seen each spring was pretty close to zero.

Peter C.

According to HBW, they started breeding in Ontario in 2007, with 2 pairs in 2009 - did that [re-] colonisation fail subsequently?

A long wait for me to contribute to this thread this year, but worth the wait. 1 May, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker drumming away like mad and giving a brief flight view while he moved from one tree to another. I think the location is reasonably public, and it was a lone male with no sign of a nest, but I guess I'm probably not supposed to say where. It's been a bugbear species for ages, so I'm very happy.

According to HBW, they started breeding in Ontario in 2007, with 2 pairs in 2009 - did that [re-] colonisation fail subsequently?

I remember the 2007 breeding (I believe that was in the upper Ottawa River valley), the guy who banded the chicks did a presentation on it. No problem talking about that one, as it was on a Military base, you didn't have to worry about people just wandering around there.
I didn't know about the 2009 pairs, and haven't heard anything since. It is possible they are still pairs breeding in central Ontario, just no-one is talking about them. Certainly, there are areas of former pasture that are being reclaimed by jack pine, so there is the potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back