• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (7 Viewers)

Yellow Warbler, Little Blue Heron and Tricoloured Heron at Jamaica Bay in NY about a week and a bit ago. Penniless now though so unlikely to see anything new in Britain for a couple of weeks, unless it's close.

Just back from a week on Norfolk island (between Australia and NZ) and got several lifers and more for my Australian list, since NI is considered part of Oz.
Best were the White Terns and Grey Ternlets, the latter were seen less than a metre away.
We also managed to see the rare Red-fronted Parakeet and heard boobook owls. Unfortunately the NI Boobook is extinct, the last female mated with an intoduced NZ Boobook. Those NZ genes must have worked wonders because they now seem to have spread to several parts of the island.

Was hoping for the Glossy Ibis in Lancashire, but couldn't locate it. Ended up getting the Lesser Scaup that is up here though, which is a new one for me

rezMole said:
Was hoping for the Glossy Ibis in Lancashire, but couldn't locate it.

It popped into Marshside and became my latest lifer
:egghead: :egghead:

Attachments

• 2006.10.14.SG_Glossy_Ibis_005.JPG
    2006.10.14.SG_Glossy_Ibis_005.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 101
SiG said:
It popped into Marshside and became my latest lifer
:egghead: :egghead:

Did it stick around?
Going tomorrow.

My latest was the Wryneck at middlebrook last year.
In the middle of a retail park!

Last edited:
My newest lifers were this spring on Mishima island in the Sea of Japan.

They were Two-barred Greenish Warbler - Phylloscopus plumbeitarsus and Blunt-winged Warbler - Acrocephalus concinens. Not sure the former counts though as I have seen Greenish Warbler in the UK.

The latter was a first for Japan, and was found by myself and Mark Carmody on the last morning on the island. My first ever 'first'!

Along with Jungle Nightjar - Caprimulgus indicus, Black Drongo - Dicrurus macrocercus and Plain Martin - Riparia paludicola (3rd or 4th for Japan) it took me over 400 species for Japan.

Since then I have added only one new bird for Japan, a Northern Wheatear -Oenanthe Oenanthe (a rarity in Japan) , again on magical Mishima...again self-found.

Isn't birding cool!

my last lifer was in the summer on our way down to wales stopped at a services and i was in the right place at the right time because i saw a red kite briefly but i saw it none the less strange as it may seem it is a bird that always seemed to elude me .

Brunnich's Guillemots by the hundreds of thousand in Spitsbergen in June - ( could never quite summon up the enthusiasm to travel to Shetland in mid winter for one !!

Papuan Whipbird and a undescribed munia

Until two days ago I had only managed to get two a unsatisfied sightings (both in the Weyland Mountains 1992) of the Whipbird, a very exclusive bird.

I had also heard it on a few occasions, Weyland Mountains 1992 (heard at least three times) and east of Lake Habbema in 1996 (a single bird).

So, two days ago I visited a forest about 40km north of the famous Tari gap, the main reason for this visit was it had got a task from a university in Port Moresby to go to this area in search for a undescribed species/subspecies of munia which a Papuan birder supposdely had seen in this area about a year ago, it was being reported from grasslands in this area. The habitat in this locality is very similar to the one in the Tari gap. As a walked through some fragmented moss forests I looked through the undergrowth in hope for some kind of forest-rail or ground-dove, after a 15 minute long walk in the moss forest I spotted a bird which I was not familiar with, my first reaction was somekind of white-eye. It was not until I had get out of the forest I was able to id the bird with help of my field guide, the bird I has seen a few minutes ago showed positive similarities with the bird in the book, I realized I had seen my first whipbird; the birds body had a olive-brown colour, the head had a few patches of black. The bird was sitting still on a tall brach about 1m above ground, it was well hidden in a thick bush.

The day became even better as I managed to locate that undescribed munia as well, with the help from locals I managed to catch three adults and one juvenile within a hour to photograph and measure. One of the adults and the juvenile I took as "type-serie".

So now I have send the photos and the two birds to the university in Port Moresby, I will get a answer back in 7-8 weeks time, will be intresting to see if its a undescribed munia, a hybrid or a range extension of some already described subspecies.

Quote "Not dissing you, or anything.... But why didn't you collect Dartfords at Dunwich Heath? They can be really peasy there!"

Lol, yeah its a bit of a trek from Fakenham to Yateley, isnt it. Luckily, Im currently at uni in Portsmouth! Still a bit of a trek, but I met up with ColonelBoris. He gave me the tour of his local patch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back