• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (17 Viewers)

A two life bird day! First I finally saw the Green Kingfisher after going to the pond it has been sited on four different times. Then less than two minutes after the Green Kingfisher I had a Belted Kingfisher show up. What an excellent day!

Masked Duck - Florida

#668 - Masked Duck, Viera Wetlands, Florida.

Too easy...see the group of cars. Drive to group of cars. Get out. Walk to within 20 feet of the bird lazily feeding in the marsh. Still, a very nice little duck.

Attachments

• masked_duck_sm.jpg
    masked_duck_sm.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 74
Gray Jay on Friday in the Upper Penninsula. I've looked for them several times, so it was somewhat of a nemesis for me.

The main purpose of the trip was to twitch a Vermillion Flycatcher and a Green-tailed Towhee. We got both, but neither were lifers.

--Neil G.

Taiwan Blue Magpie and Taiwan Whistling Thrush yesterday in Wulai, 25 KM south of Taipei.

I hd superb views of the former feeding in a small fruiting tree - about 20 came out and flew past about 20 yards away - a wonderful view of my third new Magpie this month!( see post 428 on this thread).

The second was a real "non-birding girlfriend" moment: It was sat on a carved marble post in a park - the bird dropped before she got onto it and she responded to my "Have a look through the bins - its a really beautiful bird", with "Well the post is beautiful". Oh well . . .

Woodcock

10/22/2006 - I was sitting by my fire about 1/2 hour before sunset. The fire pit is in a large clearing in the woods behind my house. I had just tipped up my glass of beer and noticed a rather large bird about 100 ft away, wings flapping fast but very animated, flying in my general direction. As I watch it seemed as if this bird was flying right at me. Sure enough, as it approached, it got lower and lower. At first I thought it was a small owl, but then I saw this long comical beak. It had to be only 3 ft from my head before it noticed me there. The sound of the wings were like sheets in the wind, very loud. It veered at the last second to avoid me and landed in the woods only 20 ft away. I tried to flush it up again, but it must have run away under the heavy fern cover.
This was the funniest looking bird that I ever saw up close. I have seen pictures of them, but never one in person (or in flight). The wing span was approximately 20-22" to the best of my judgement.

Just had to cross one off - discovered that Highland Motmot has been lumped with Blue-crowned Motmot.
Thanks for nothing to the AOU South American Checklist working group. Still, maybe they might split something else to make up.

Steve

My latest lifer was a view of 2 common cranes at Stubbs Mill watchpoint near Hickling Broad in Norfolk last Monday evening at dusk. Well worth waiting for!

Sandra
:clap:

lvn600 said:
Peregrine Falcon and Northern Shrike today at Station 43 in South Windsor CT. USA.

Aw man! I've yet to see a Northern Shrike. I've seen a few loggerheads in the south, but I haven't yet caught a northern. Nice bird!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back