• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (11 Viewers)

Dusky Grouse

This past September I saw the Dusky Grouse twice, once in the National Bison Range NWR, MT and then a few days later in Glacier NP. NOTE, this is a new bird. In August the American Orin. Society decided, after DNA testing, that the two subspecies of Blue Grouse (Interior and Pacific) were actually separate species. They are now the Dusky Grouse (Dendragapus obscurus) and the Sooty Grouse (Dendragapus fuliginosus). Not bad getting a lifer so soon after it became a "bird" :clap: .

bobsofpa said:
This past September I saw the Dusky Grouse twice, once in the National Bison Range NWR, MT and then a few days later in Glacier NP. NOTE, this is a new bird. In August the American Orin. Society decided, after DNA testing, that the two subspecies of Blue Grouse (Interior and Pacific) were actually separate species. They are now the Dusky Grouse (Dendragapus obscurus) and the Sooty Grouse (Dendragapus fuliginosus). Not bad getting a lifer so soon after it became a "bird" :clap: .

Hi Bob,

I used to live in Colorado where I had seen Blue Grouse of the "Dusky" form. I had seen the "Sooty" form in western Washington State way back in 1978 but didn't realize it right after the split. In going back through old notes I discovered I had a new bird for my Life List that I had seen 28 years ago.

Dave

Shore Larks on Holkham saltmarsh and Barnicle Geese near Holkham Hall lake (wild??), on 27/12/2006.

2 Hen Harriers and Common Cranes at Stubbs Mill on 28/12/2006.

Happy Christmas!!

My top bird finally succumbed whilst visiting the Coto Donana on the 28th Dec, thanks to John Butler.

Black-shouldered Kite.

John

Florida Scrub-Jay!!! A great lifer, now one of my favorite birds. They're just SO cool.

But before that on that day or the day before I got these lifers:

Tricolored Heron
Marbled Godwit
Glossy Ibis
Roseate Spoonbill
Western Sandpiper
Reddish Egret
Long-billed Dowitcher
Common Moorhen
Blue-winged Teal
Pied-billed Grebe

Last edited:
Prothonotary Warbler 12 Jan, Tobago. Went to an area of mangroves where I'd been told they might occur and ten minutes of pishing eventually brought one out.

E

Calcarius lapponicus, a trio of Lapland Longspurs in a Horned Lark flock at Jones Beach yesterday. Very uncommon winter visitor there, most often just one (which I always miss) and usually hangs out with the Snow Buntings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back