• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (9 Viewers)

Least Bittern or Common Myna, depending on how you count birds. Although not yet considered established by most sources, the handsome Common Myna has the potential. The bird was at a Publix in West Palm Beach, Florida.

I used a very reliable old trick to find the Least Bittern, which was at the Wakodahatchee Wetlands in Delray Beach, Florida. While walking on the boardwalk I came across a man with a camera on a monopod with his lens pointed into a clump of rushes. Follow the direction of the lens and - voila! - a life bird.

Cyclops said:
Mine was quite a pleasant surprise for me. While at sea on an old tug at Scarborough last year I saw my very first Gannet! And not just one, but a few flew over! We were a few miles out at sea, so I wonder where their nearest breeding site would be to Scarborough?
The nearest breeding site is at Bempton, It is the only Gannet colony on mainland Britain

Bit of a monster day today, with 6 lifers in total.

Corn Buntings (10+) around Choseley Drying Barns, near Titchwell.

Tree Pipit, Ring Ouzels (5) and Short Eared Owl, all at Holme.

Stone Curlew (2) and Woodlark (2), both on Weeting Heath.

Nothing mega, but 'whew', I need to lie down!

Life list now bumped up to 184

Jason

Well done Christine, I have just seen your pictures and asked the question that has been answered here. I hope to see one soon because they are beginning to be a regular sight in this country.

It was Kittlitz's Plover which I saw two years ago at the old settlement ponds in the grounds of the local sewage works.

Just had two female and one male Brown-headed Cowbird pole up to the feeders in my back yard. Very easy life bird and number 518.

Saw 2 Caspian Terns and a flock of about 50 Purple Sandpipers in the Stockholm archipelago yesterday. Will post a complete report later.
Graham

Cyclops said:
Is Sociable Lapwing distinct from Sociable Plover, or is it the same bird?
Just curious.
In The Collins Bird Guide(Mullarney et al) its Sociable Lapwing, in the Birds of Britain and Europe (Peterson et al) its Sociable Plover but both are as Larry Lade points out Vanellus gregarius, and what a super whatever it was, it made my day and most probably my month!!!!!!!.

My list here contains 28 life ticks from a list of 31 species seen on a recent holiday in Orlando.

Moorhen, House Sparrow & Mallard weren't lifers!!

Richard

Life bird with photo

New member here. Just got two lifers in one trip to Quintana Neotropical Reserve on the Texas Coast. The spring migration is in full swing and that little reserve was full of birds yesterday, Orioles, Buntings, Tanagers and Warblers. A Lincoln's Sparrow came so close, I almost could not focus. I also got close to a Tennessee Warbler (thanks to birdforum for confirming the ID). Of course, these are not rare, but new to me.

Attachments

• IMG_6559bf.jpg
    IMG_6559bf.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6500bf.jpg
    IMG_6500bf.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 69

Users who are viewing this thread

Back