• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost birds - the Ghostly 2008 quiz. Register now! (2 Viewers)

To maybe encourage the last few stragglers to put in answers, I now post all 15 picturres with the bird highlighted. It is clear from the guesses that some people have missed some of the birds....

looking at that at least I found the birds even though I fear I may have mis-ID all of them!

Here are the first five answers, being:

1. Sedge warbler
2. Avocet
3. Reed warbler
4. Yellow wagtail
5. Semi-collared flycatcher (can't understand why no-one got this; adult female with sing pattern clearly showing!)

Attachments

• lost1ans2.jpg
    lost1ans2.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 66
  • lost2ans2.jpg
    lost2ans2.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 71
  • lost3ans2.jpg
    lost3ans2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 62
  • lost4ans2.jpg
    lost4ans2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 55
  • lost5ans2.jpg
    lost5ans2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 78
6-10 being:

6. Wryneck - a lot of people completely missed the bird and htought the bit of wood at the front was it!
7. Redwing
8. Fieldfare
9. Black-throated thrush
10. Rock pipit

That fieldfare could easily have been a Kestrel species....

Attachments

• lost6ans2.jpg
    lost6ans2.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 71
  • lost7&8&9ans2.jpg
    lost7&8&9ans2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 71
  • lost10ans2.jpg
    lost10ans2.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 64
And finally 11-15:

11. Grey hypocolius
12. Skylark
13. Stone curlew
14. Black redstart
15. Little owl

Congratulations to ...............

Attachments

• lost11ans2.jpg
    lost11ans2.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 67
  • lost12ans2.jpg
    lost12ans2.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 58
  • lost13ans2.jpg
    lost13ans2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 55
  • lost14ans2.jpg
    lost14ans2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 60
  • lost15ans2.jpg
    lost15ans2.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 58
...Dan Pointon and Xenospiza, who both got 13 out of 15.

Notably, Andrew Whitehouse and James Andrewes both got 12, and on 11 were Jurij Hanzel and Nick Derry.

Well done to all of you - these were extremely hard and in one case impossible, it seems.

Now, as we have three pairs of scores, I open up the tie-break to all six of the above named.

First one tomorrow.............

lol, and thanks for not posting my score up GV.

They make a bit more sense now, although I still prefer my choices for 7 and 8. (I think I was misled into going for the most exotic combo option I could ;) )

We can't climb up the scoreboard with our answers to the tie-break pics, right? We'll only be involved in three separate head-to-head contests, won't we?

Last edited:
Hi Jurij,

Yes, the tie-break is to establish who is 1st & 2nd out of Dan and Xeno, who is 3rd and fourth out of Andrew and James, and who is 5th and 6th out of you and Nick.

When I've found a suitable picture I'll post it later!

Sean

Well, here is the answer to the tie-break, and two of the six top spotters got it right.

As such, we now have a winner in the form of DAN POINTON, the wonderboy!

We also have a fifth place in the form of Jurij Hanzel.

Well done both of you - there were (as Jurij spotted) in fact two birds in the picture - both were AZURE-WINGED MAGPIES.

Here are the "reveal" pics for the tie break picture. Also, the tie-break 2 for James and Andrew to sort out third place.

The quiz is open to all to have a guess just for fun; if you top sixers also want a go, we can maybe see who gets the most out of 18....there's one more after this.

Attachments

• lost-tb1ans.jpg
    lost-tb1ans.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 78
  • lost-tb1ans2.jpg
    lost-tb1ans2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 91
  • lost-tb2.jpg
    lost-tb2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Well done Dan, everyone else as well ;)

GV, is there any chance of telling us how many people got each of the original 15 birds correct? - this would be an indication of how difficult each photo was . . . and allow people (well me for starters) to see how we got on compared with the cream of the BF quizmasters. . . It'd also be interesting to see what the alternative answers for the birds were as well . . . maybe still keeping it anonymous?(!) ;)

Cheers, dan

Hi Dan,

I purposefully didn't publicly post scores and answers, as I don't think that's fair on people who didn't get as many. I took it that everyone would know their own score and be able to compare it with the winners and runners up.

What I will do is list each one with how many people got it right. The second most popular answer is shown next to them:

1. 9/21 Yellow-browed, Pallas's warbler, Chiffchaff, Bluthroat all with 2
2. 12/21 Goosander with 3
3. 11/21 Marsh warbler, Whitethroat 3 each
4. 12/19 Water pipit with 2
5. 0/20 Most (14/20) went for Pied fly, with a few for Brown, Collard and RB Fly.
6. 14/20 Various by people who were identifying the piece of wood!
7. 7/18 Skylark with 4
8. 13/18 Kestrel/Lesser kes with 2 each
9. 7/17 Various
10. 6/17 Water pipit with 8!
11. 9/15 Various
12. 7/17 Short-toed lark with 4
13. 12/16 Various
14. 15/17 n/a
15. 16/17 n/a

Here's the answer to tie break 2.

No correct answers. Wilson's phalarope it was.

Here's the very final one, taken in Siena, Tuscany last May from the Hotel window.

I'm going back there next week for my birthday and there is a very good chance of me finally unblocking Wallcreeper on my birthday at a Nature reserve nearby. Wish me luck!

Sean

Attachments

• lost-tb2ans.jpg
    lost-tb2ans.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 83
  • lost-tb2ans2.jpg
    lost-tb2ans2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 72
  • lost-tb3.jpg
    lost-tb3.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 89
Well, I can see a Crane . . . ;)

(And cheers for posting the above list of scores)

Have a good trip, and good luck!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back