• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL close focus distance change? (1 Viewer)

nodd

Neil
With the launch of the new NL Swarovski said they would not be changing the EL but have they? The technical data sheets now say the close focusing distance is now 3.3m compared to the original 1.5m. The website still has it as 1.5m in the overview of the EL which could be an oversight in page editing. May be this change (if it has been done) is so people go for the NL? After all the reduction in price has to come from some where. It will be interesting to see if any new production ELs do indeed have a 3.3 m close focusing distance.

Attachments

• F8240E57-8BAE-428C-8A91-FAA00F16EA7D.jpg
    F8240E57-8BAE-428C-8A91-FAA00F16EA7D.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 8B839AC6-D256-4A6E-B660-FBB91DAB7665.jpg
    8B839AC6-D256-4A6E-B660-FBB91DAB7665.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 90
As an update the over view information has now been changed to 3.3m so the EL has undergone a change. Maybe so as not steal sales from the NL and to give the NL one more selling point close focusing.

I was just about to start a thread on the same topic!

I'm also wandering what other changes/downgrades such as coatings, production materials etc have been included to bring down the price?

Matt

I won't be considering an upgrade to SV FP from original EL then! I'd rather stick where I am than be 'short-changed' on improvements.

RB

Maybe no changes were made, as speculated here, and in fact were just way overpriced in the first place like the rest of the alphas are.

I was just about to start a thread on the same topic!

I'm also wandering what other changes/downgrades such as coatings, production materials etc have been included to bring down the price?

Matt
Could they possibly outsource production to a resurrected Zen-Ray to keep the costs in check :h?: ...... ? ;)

Chosun :gh:

After ten years of production I'd think they could lower the price without cutting any corners.

The 32mm goes from 1.5 to 1.9 meters which isn't too much, but if the 42mm ends up at 3.3 (almost 11 feet) Swaro will probably lose some buyers.

I'm mostly a birder but have definitely used that 1.5m close focus for butterflies.

Oh and for Copperheads, Timber Rattlesnakes, Western Diamondbacks. Social distancing for those guys, but not 11 feet!

I wonder if the reduced close focus will also change the gearing ratio of the knob? I know some were not huge fans of the focus speed on the 8.5x42 SV, but a lot of the rotations were down in the lower range of the magnification and only really pertinent near close focus.

Justin

I won't be considering an upgrade to SV FP from original EL then! I'd rather stick where I am than be 'short-changed' on improvements.
As someone has already pointed out in another thread, it ought to be easy for some time yet to find remaining stock of the FP model with better close focus if that's what you really want. Just don't wait too long.

Swaro might not see it as a customer loss, but a force of their customer base to decide. Do you leave "Swaro' for another brand with less product service, reputation etc.... Or if you really want more min focus, you simply have to pay more for the product. ?

For those of us on the side and not into as many Swaro's as others..... it is an easy decision as i am not playing that game. For instance, 1.9 m should be min in today's world of birding for many are into butterflies, insects, snakes etc. To push beyond that makes me not buy a product, which in my case is the 8x32 CL (hasn't been changed by recent actions). But 3 meters? No thanks.... I want a whole product, not a piecemeal one.

The market will decide, as it always does. I predict Swaro's sport optic sales will soar, and continue to leave Zeiss and Leica in the dust.

I took the plunge and upgraded my old Leica Trinovid 10x42 for Swaro 10x42 EL FP this week. They are brilliant and I am guessing they are old stock as the close focus is 1.5 metres. ��

I took the plunge and upgraded my old Leica Trinovid 10x42 for Swaro 10x42 EL FP this week. They are brilliant and I am guessing they are old stock as the close focus is 1.5 metres. ��

In 10x42 everything before #902748841 (production week 27 = first week July in 2020) is "old stock".

Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back