• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski EL 8x32 versus Zeiss FL 8x42 (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
I have been looking at alot of high end binoculars and the decision has come down to these two. These were the top two binoculars in the Cornell test with the Zeiss being first and Swarovski second. I prefer the ergonomics of the Swarovski but the Zeiss seem a little sharper on-axis. Off-axis the Swarovski seems a little better. The Zeiss is of course a little brighter with it's bigger objective. The price is fairly close on the two. I think the Swarovski build quality is a little better and I have heard there service is excellent if you need it. What is everybodies opinion on these two binoculars.

Dennis

Hi denco and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

I have been using the Zeiss FL 8 x 42 for about 2 weeks now and I have to tell you I am totally in love with these binoculars if that's possible ;)

I cannot give you a comparison as far as its Swarovski counterpart but the focusing on the Zeiss is extremely responsive and the ergnomics of the Zeiss are excellent in my hands. I have had ample opportunity to use them in extremely hot, humid conditions and they respond well with no fogging. I've used them at dusk and was able to see a beautiful, clear subject with little light.

I have been looking at alot of high end binoculars and the decision has come down to these two. These were the top two binoculars in the Cornell test with the Zeiss being first and Swarovski second. I prefer the ergonomics of the Swarovski but the Zeiss seem a little sharper on-axis. Off-axis the Swarovski seems a little better. The Zeiss is of course a little brighter with it's bigger objective. The price is fairly close on the two. I think the Swarovski build quality is a little better and I have heard there service is excellent if you need it. What is everybodies opinion on these two binoculars.

Dennis

I tried the Swarovski 8x32 EL against my Nikon 8x32 SE and was somewhat disappointed by the noticeably lower contrast and dimmer image. However I did think that the Swarovski was lovely to hold. I suspect that the Zeiss has better coatings than the Swarovski going by the performance of the 42mm versions. But, I would urge you to try them both in the field. I think the Alula site has reviews of the Swarovski against some others, though sadly not the Zeiss IIRC.

Leif

I'm a Zeiss FL fan myself, although a 10x user. I really don't think you can better them in the current market.

As far as the Swaros are concerned, I rate the 8.5x42 EL's very highly, but like Leif, I found the 8x32EL's 'dull' in comparison.

Again, try them out for yourself; Cornell's or anyone else's test is meaningless unless they suit you and your purpose.

I agree with Leif and Trevor. I've seen the 8x32 EL a number of times and always been unimpressed. Most recently comparing binoculars in a store a few days ago found the 8x32 EL to be dimmer, lower contrast, less sharp and less color neutral not only vs. the Zeiss 8x42 FL but also the 8x32 FL, the Nikon 8x32 SE and (believe it or not) the $300 Nikon 8x30 EII. Of course, like everyone else I love the way they feel in my hands. I would consider adding the 8x32 FL to your short list if you haven't seen it. It is only a little less bright than the 8x42 and has better off axis sharpness.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back