• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (9 Viewers)

4 lifers during a 9 day trip to Caprivi in Namibia:
- Collared Palm-thrush
- Greater Swamp Warbler
- Rosy-throated Longclaw
- Thick-billed Cuckoo

A Merlin. Watched this shape streak past and as I followed it, it just didn't look like a Cooper's hawk. Out of the blue, I said, "You know, I've never seen a Merlin". Looked it up when we got home and there wasn't a doubt. Looked at recent sightings and there were two in that same location during the previous week. Mighty fine.

With the recent split of Lesser Short-toed Lark (now renamed Mediterranean Short-toed Lark), I picked up an armchair tick in the form of Turkestan Short-toed Lark.

Dave

Last edited:
I forgot about this thread...looking back, I don't think I've made any updates since 2013! Lots of firsts in the years since.
2020 has been a little slow with just two lifers: Barn owl (my most recent, in September 2020), and orange-crowned warbler (February 2020)

In general, first sightings from around my local areas have gone down over the years, as to be expected as the list grows longer, and leaves fewer species left unseen! But this year with the Covid lockdowns and many birding parks and spots closed for at least 1/2 of the year made it even more difficult to land any lifers.

In 2019, I had 5 firsts: Bufflehead, short-tailed hawk, scarlet tanager, western tanager, and Tennessee warbler.
2018 had just two: Golden-winged warbler and vermillion flycatcher
2017 I had 4: white-faced whistling duck, least grebe, Acadian flycatcher, and indigo bunting
2016 had 9: Ruddy duck, lesser scaup, common nighthawk, American oystercatcher, scissor-tailed flycatcher, eastern wood peewee, cave swallow, eastern kingbird, and yellow-billed cuckoo.
2015 had 10: American white pelican, swallow-tailed kite, reddish egret, Virginia rail, short-billed dowitcher, long-billed dowitcher, whimbrel, blue-crowned parakeet, budgerigar, Blackburnian warbler.
2014 had 18: Mute swan, northern pintail, peregrine falcon, whip poor will, spotted sandpiper, neotropical cormorant, American goldfinch, yellow-headed blackbird, brown-headed cowbird, eastern meadowlark, black-throated green warbler, Cape May warbler, chestnut-sided warbler, ruby-crowned kinglet, bank swallow, tufted titmouse, cedar waxwing, Swainson's thrush
2013 had 18: White-cheeked pintail, red-tailed hawk, sharp-shinned hawk, American flamingo, yellow-breasted chat, northern parula, Carolina wren, black-whiskered vireo, La Sagra's flycatcher, savannah sparrow, barn swallow, American robin, northern waterthrush. That fills in everything since my last post in this thread which was in early 2013 after listing magnolia warbler, great crested flycatcher, blue grosbeak, Connecticut warbler, and red-eyed vireo.

Not a world lifer, but a new ABA bird...Tundra Bean Goose. It's hanging out in suburban Philadelphia, most recently on a snow-covered golf course. A first state record for PA, and I read it's only the second record for the eastern US, so a serious mega.

I twitched it Thursday morning, which was challenging in and of itself, because we had 9" of snow overnight.

I haven't been keeping track long but have seen lots of lovely birds all over North America and have enjoyed watching and casually identifying for years. New to me in the last couple of weeks were a solitary Pied-billed Grebe that hung out on our pond for about 5 weeks (and didn't seem to mind me watching at all) that I wish I'd photographed, a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker who's been around our place for about two months, a Golden-crowned Kinglet that I've seen the last two weekends but haven't been able to photograph yet, and four White-crowned Sparrows (three immature, one mature) that just appeared this past weekend. Also got my first (and second) Eastern Screech Owl (both red) in the last couple of weeks. All of these here at home. We are lucky to have some land and a pond that brings a lot of different wildlife.

Cheers
IMG_20201126_122902.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back