• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2014 (2 Viewers)

Hi Mike

I met a couple this morning (who I´ve spoken to before) and they have had Blue Tit in the garden of their hotel, they thought possibly nesting under the eaves. I don´t think they are in the same hotel as Hugh but if I see them again I´ll ask them which hotel (in Puerto Pollensa) and let you know. They also saw Little Bittern near Sa Roca, by the solar panels.

This morning there were two Black-tailed Godwit at Es Cibollar I, one Squacco Heron at Es Cibollar II. Black-necked Grebe still at the Depuradora. I was told of some Bee-eater that were heard going through/over the Bóquer Valley today and the same people had good views of Little Bittern here (somewhere). 8 Marbled Duck still on site.
Just off for a late afternoon stroll around the hides. Will report anything of interest later.

Martin

Low level Blue Tits

I've not got all my records computerised yet, but I saw Blue Tits as follows:
x1 29th April 2001, S'Albufera.
x2 5th Sept. 2005, Port de Pollenca at an apartment garden in Llenaire.

Mark

Last edited:
Es Cibollar I was much the same but with a nice group of 10 Wood Sandpiper.
Sa Roca/Es Ras was pretty quiet other than 2 more Wood Sands and 2 Little Stint (which I expect have returned to the area now that the water levels have dropped and there is exposed mud).
I find it´s always worth checking out the field opposite reception (from the rustic gate) and this evening was no exception. Among the feeding flocks of House Sparrow, Greenfinch, Linnet and Yellow Wagtails was the Whimbrel. Quite an odd sight. Moments later three Stone Curlew flew low over the field and landed on the largest of the islands opposite Sa Roca hide (if only the photographer had stayed a few more minutes he could have got some great shots).

Martin

Last edited:
Hello again- got the car this morning but the family took precedence for places to go- but the boys were happy to go right up to the Talaia dÁlbercutx- what a great place- fantastic views and for once I was above the Ravens and Booted Eagles, with Crag Martins and Wrens for company,and with a distant Blue Rock thrush down by the Mirador. I can see why the raptor study group get up here to check out migration, although nothing was very obviously migrating today. We then went out to the Victoria area behind Alcudia- another nice area which I had not been to before. the only additions to my list were Firecrest and Chaffinch, but the views were again really excellent. Tonight I saw the Scops Owl again at the back of the Pollentia Hotel, and the Iberian Puss Moth was at the floodlight again. Tomorrow we are going west along the motorway and up NW of Palma to La Granja, a very nice old manor house in a wooded valley which ahs a good selection of woodland birds. Hugh Matthews.

Thanks everyone for the Blue tit records, very helpful. Either Blue tits are expanding their range by coming down to sea level or I have been seriously misinformed!
La Granja is a very interesting place to visit and gives a glimpse into how life must have been in Majorca many years ago, well worth a visit. No other news tonight but thanks everyone for keeping the sightings going, much appreciated, Mike

Hi Hugh

As Mike says, it´s a very interesting place. If it´s the same place I´m thinking about (it was about 20 years ago), and is the same as when I was there, take a look at the ceiling in the old kitchen - it should be covered with moths (Pyralis farinalis, Indian Meal moth, etc.). It was also nice to see some ´rare´ Balearic livestock, especially the famous black pigs.

Hi Mike

I don´t think it is really misinformation. It´s just that things have changed here. When I first started coming you hardly ever saw a Blackbird and if you did, it was only briefly from a distance. Now one can almost step on them they are so ´tame´. Similarly, Purple Heron and Balearic Warbler are now less easy to see due to competition from Grey Herons and Sardinian Warblers. Rock Thrush has, I believe, all but disappeared from Cuber. Audouin´s Gull and Stone Curlew are now much easier to see and more numerous.
These changes can be quite rapid, which is why many of the cuts affecting the environment are so disasterous. Not only for the people who have lost their jobs but also for those still expected to do more with less money (for instance all the Parcs) - and with no scientific recording being done in the Parcs to monitor these changes. It´s only when things disappear that people start to notice - but by then it is too late.
There are lots of good things hapening in the environment but there could be so much more with a little investment in the future. You mentioned the lack of herbicide spraying, killing off much of the native flora along roadsides woth hebicide, etc., but I saw a gang out just the other day. It was one of the reasons for coming here in the Spring, to see the wonderful, colourful displays of wild flowers. Now about all you see are invasive species, such as the mis-named acid-yellow Bermuda buttercup (it is neither a buttercup or from Bermuda!) that now covers the island, even here in s´Albufera.
That´s enough ranting. Off to see some birds!

Martin

As I came out of my room I saw a very low raptor (briefly) above the laboratory. It wasn´t a Marsh Harrier. Hopefully someone else saw it and reports it as I would like to know what it was. [EDIT] Looking at the list, the escaped Golden Eagle was seen today, so that must have been it. It certainly had pale shoulders´.
The first broods of Red-crested Pochard that I´ve seen were around today. Two females with 5 or 6 aducklings at Es Cibollar I and one with 7 slightly larger ducklings at Sa Roca. One Stone Curlew showed there after a brief shower and there was a nice male Wheatear in the field.
Thanks (again) to Chris, I had stunning views of a male Little Bittern from the "3rd" bridge - where you turn right to go down to Es Cibollar I & II. It gave even better views later during the rain shower when there were no people about. It´s a ringed individual but I could barely get any part of the number. It was photographed by a German who I spoke to in the Sa Roca hise - he had a fantastic photo of it.
Whilst at Es Cibollar I managed to see 3 European Pond Terrapin (Emys orbicularis. Two were mating and the other was "just watching". I´ve not seen any here for many years, just the alien Red-eared Sliders (of which there are quite a lot, unfortunately).

Martin

Last edited:
Sad to read about the continuation of spraying of wild flowers, when will Mallorca realise that people come here just to see the carpets of flowers and orchids? If there are no flowers then they will no longer come, it's as simple as that. Even in my short time here the numbers some species have changed quite considerably and they should be monitored so we can understand more about what is happening. That's my rant over too! Mike

Just a few additions from this afternoon.
Clive popped in to see me, which is always nice and later we chatted while waiting, unfortunately without success, for the Little Bittern to reappear. However, while doing so I spotted a Cuckoo flying over, heading over Es Cibollar. A bird that´s always nice to see, despite its parasitic behaviour. We also had Reed Warbler singing and briefly in sight. More broods of Mallard from Es Cibollar I (8 and 11 ducklings!), as well as 60 Black-wing Stilt (being their usual noisy and agressive selves - even to Purple Gallinule).
Finally, from the mound, 26 Wood Sand, one Little Stint and 8 Stone Curlew, the latter in flight, plus one Redshank.

Martin

Hello again from a warm and slightly wet Port de Pollenca- just enough rain to wet the ground this evening. The day started with a fine male Common Redstart in the hotel grounds, and then we were off to La Granja. It was nice to be surrounded by bird song, much of it familiar, but with Nightingale and Serin added to the mix. At least 6 Firecrests were on the nature trail, a dozen or so Raven were doing acrobatics over the hills to the North, and my target bird for the day, Red Kite, flew over at lunchtime. For Mike I can report 2 singing male Blue Tits, but this is of course at a reasonable altitude, and within the Tramuntana region. We got back to PP at 1700, and I managed to get down to Albufereta for half an hour- Common Pochard was new, and I had brief views of a wader which I thought was Grey Plover, but I couldn´t be sure. I then met a Scottish birder who told me about 2 Wheatears in the ploughed field by the finca. When I got there they had gone, but in the next field was... the Grey Plover, which was a nice bonus bird. Also there was a Humming-bird Hawlmoth and Common Blue butterfly. Tonight the Scops Owls showed again, and the Iberian Puss Moth seems rooted to the spot by the floodlight. I would like to pot it and move it away, but it would mean putting myself in a very precarious position on top of a narrow ledge on the wall. Tomorrow a brief visit ti the Depuradora, and th efields near Maria de la Salut on the way to Randa. Hugh Matthews.

It was good to meet you again, Martin, and well done for spotting the Cuckoo - I'd probably have missed it. And pity I didn't see the Little Bittern, I've looked many times at that bridge, but they always seem to elude me. But I had a good day at Albufera, but nothing much to add - the Black-necked Grebe was still at the Depuradora, and I saw Tawny Pipit, Common Redstart, Sand and House Martins among the Barn Swallows and Swifts there. Also one Great Egret and a Viperine snake near the Information Centre.
Lots of Speckled Wood but no other butterflies, but yesterday by my home there were several Geranium Bronze, the introduced species.
Clive.

Hi

I´ve just returned from a virtually wasted trip to Costitx to look at the Museum there. As usual, it was not open when I arrived at 11.00, although it was supposed to be open from 09.30. This time, luckily, I managed to locate someone with a key and he let me in.
I had gone there to see a small collection of Lepidoptera collected mainly in the local area by someone who clearly knew what they were doing as the material was well set and labelled, although some of the determinations were ´a little off´. I saw it briefly many years ago but, unfortunatley, almost no trace of it remains. Judging by the number of missing boxes and the quantity of Museum beetle skins, I suspect it was destroyed. What remains is unlabelled and, in the main, unidentified. Such a shame.
I´ll pop round the hides later when all the tourists and local families have had their enjoyment. Hopefully there will be some birds to report.

Martin

Last edited:
Most of the public had gone, just a few photographers left.
Bird-wise, much the same as usual. Still 2 Black-tailed Godwit at ES Cibollar I along with lots of Snipe, Black-winged Stilt, Kentish & LR Plover and the flock of Wood Sandpiper. 20 of them flew off but there were still some remaining. Looking over to the right there was at least 1 Stone Curlew and a Wheatear in front of Es Cibollar II. Going by the mound, I heard Great Reed Warbler singing and had a very brief glimpe of it. Several Nightingales were also in the area. I got to Sa Roca just as the Osprey was leaving, having consumed yet another large fish. Good numbers of Swallow there, along with a few Sand Martin, plus 1 Little Stint and a few more Wood Sands. Just after 6pm there was a bit of commotion with plovers zipping across in front of the hide - followed closely by a very low-flying Peregrine, my first of the trip. I lost it among the vegetation but picked it up again as it circled round and headed off towards Puig Sant Marti (the hill the hang-gliders use). Lots of Yellow Wags in the field, all iberiae as far as I could see, plus one very close Hoopoe stabbing vigorously at the ground. I´m sure this is one of the birds that nest in the buildings behind Sa Roca and that serenades me from first light.
Martin

Last edited:
Hello from the Pollensa Park again- today there was excitement at the beginning and end of the day and not much in between. As I went for my pre-breakfast stroll I heard an Acrocephalus singing- and tracked it down as a Moustached Warbler. There is a small area of wet reed bed at the back of the Uyal hotel next door to the PP garden, with reed stands that remind me of bits of the Albufera- and of course the whole area between Alcudia and Port de Pollenca would have been like the Albufera. I know that MWs have got to the Albufereta- perhaps this one has moved on a little further. After breakfast to the Depuradora- and not much of note- couldn´t find the BNGrebe or any terns- just a few small sandpipers and one BHGull. In the Maria area the roads are a bit tricky- I think I went down the right one, and saw one smallish lark flying away that might have been Short-toed. No sign of any falcons except Common kestrel. Then to Randa- great views over the whole island from Cabrera to Puig Major but only swifts sparrows and a few warblers, plus one pair of Crag Martins. Just before the evening meal I went to the Can Cuarassa pools again, and despite the repaired screens they are not really effective as the birds can see your movements through them. They all fly off as you approach, particularly at the unrepaired second set of screens. Fortunately they all went back to the first pool, and if you are careful you can use the hide screens to get better views. There were 12 Wood Sands, 2 each of Green Sand and Common Sand, and singles of Snipe, Redshank and Greenshank. better still was the Water Pipit at the unscreened pool nearer the coast road. I thought I might walk a short way up the track inland, and I am glad I did because I picked up a Starling sp flying, and then another- and with distant but clear views I saw my first ever Spotless Starlings for the island. They were going in and out under a roof tile below the chimney at the end of the first large building visible in the Club del Sol complex- definitely a possible nesting site. The car is now back with Hiper, so tomorrow after church in the morning (Palm Sunday), I should be able to get a couple of hours in the Boquer Valley. Hugh Matthews.

Much the same as for the last few days at s´Albufera. The main differences being 4 Little Stint at Es Cibollar I plus, on the walk down, I could here Night Heron. When I got to the bridge leading to the hide I counted 35 in the air, calling, and I had a restricted view so there must have been more. Until now I´ve just had ones and twos and even at dusk there have not been many calling. At Sa Roca, just the Ruff that´s been around, on and off, for about the last 12 days (at least it appears to be the same bird).

Martin

Took a short drive to C´an Cuarassa in search of Hugh´s Spotless Starlings but it was probably too late in the day as it was rather warm abd very heavy mirage. Plenty of Cetti´s, Nightingale´s and Sardinian warblers, a few Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff and some pipits but they were distant and landing in dense vegetation so have no idea what they were. A few waders at the pools (B-w Stilt, Greenshank, LRP and 1 Redshank) and one Little Egret.
It´s my final full day tomorrow before flying back to London on Tuesday.

Martin

Hi all,
I'm on the island for a week. This morning we went to Boquer, but had no luck with the Balearic Warblers - we were late arriving though, so will need to give it another try later in the week (and without a 1 and a 3 yr old in tow...).

Went to Depuradora this evening and had a good hour there - plenty of flava wagtails and hirundines, plus I did see the Black-necked Grebe and a male Garganey. Beautiful evening.

Hugh - I think we've bumped into each other a couple of times in the last day or so - thanks for all your advice. May try for the Starlings tmrw.

Hello again from Port de Pollenca- today I wandered up the Boquer Valley on a beautiful sunny day. I met quite a few other birders including a group led by local guide Pep Manchado, one of the authors of the Tourists´guide- and he was bemoaning the lack of migration which he said was the worst he could remember for some years- but there were a few Redstarts and a Pied Fly around as well as some Willow Warblers, and 3 separate groups of Bee-eaters going over at height- making them invisible. The main reason for doing the trip was to check out on the Balearic Warblers, and I am pleased to say that they are there, but still as elusive as ever, on the flat area just before the drop down towards the beach area. I also caught up with the Cirl Buntings at last- at least two singing males, one near the Finca and one a bout halfway along the valley. The rest of theday was on the beach, so just the standard but very elegant Auduoins Gulls for company. Tomorrow we are getting the bus to Can Picafort and then walking south along the beach and into Son Real- hoping for Thekla Lark and perhaps Tawny Pipit, together with agood chance of Hermanns Tortoise. Hugh Matthews.

Arrival

Arrived on Island yesterday afternoon to stunning weather and had a few hours up a very busy Boquer Valley.
Osprey over car park when I arrived being mobbed by gulls,few Redstarts about and Woodchat Shrike below Finca hunting the fence line.
One Booted Eagle heading down the Valley towards Pollensa and as mentioned by Hugh two singing Cirl Buntings which were just about invisible as they sang in bushes.Raven in display flight,usual Blue Rock Thrush and Partridge calling about mid way into valley ,one lone Pied Flycatcher by the two Isolated Pines
On a sadder note i saw two road kill Barn Owl on the Alcudia Town approach road whilst driving from airport,dead birds were about 15 km apart,I suppose this shows that there is quite a healthy population on the island but still sad to see.

Bob

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 43
Hi Bob

Sad but interesting comment on Barn Owls. In the three weeks I´ve been here (in s´Albufera, where they do breed) I´ve only heard Barn Owl once. However, I was also told about a road kill Barn Owl at the side of the Alcudia to Can Picafort road, just opposite the start of Es Comu, part of the reserve.
Today is my last full day but I have quite a bit of work to do here in the lab but I hope to get out shortly and see if there´s anything new on the reserve.
Then it will be back for an early lunch, book my seat on the plane and then perhaps go for a drive - to use up some of the fuel that I´ve paid for but won´t use. I´ve managed to get the car back empty only once in the last four trips so I reckon I´ve lost over 100 euros, so far.

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back