• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2014 (3 Viewers)

The black-necked grebe was still at Depuradora this am, along with 4 garganey, 3 green sandpiper & 2 common sandpiper, plus a tawny pipit long the approach road.
Chris

Hi Mike
I once had small family group of Blue Tits in the garden of a villa we were staying just outside Pollensa. They were extracting larvae from the tips of the branches of almond trees and feeding them to their young. This would have probably been more than 15 years ago.

Hi Chris
Thanks for the records from the Depuradora. Will be off there shortly, having just finished dealing with the contents of the moth trap.

Martin

Last edited:
Thanks to Chris (who I met later in s´Albufera), I picked up the Black-necked Grebe at the Depuradora (stunning bird). I also had the same Sandpipers but 5 Garganey (3♂ 2♀). Slightly later, in a different location I had three more Garganey and 8 Marbled Duck/Teal. Then back at s´Albufera I met Hugh. He´d been lucky enough to see a Red-throated Pipit at Es Cibollar II. Unfortunately, it didn´t make an appearance for me (or Chris) but there was a nice group of Green and Wood Sands there. At Es Cibollar I, the usual Black-tailed Godwit and three [more?] Garganey - one pair immediately below and to the right of the hide - my closest views ever. Sa Roca didn´t add much, apart from good views of Purple Heron.
This morning, three Bee-eater were seen by the Parc Director (just after speaking with me but, of course, I missed them). It´s good to know that they are arriving and something else to look/listen for.

Martin

Last edited:
I´ve just received the results of reporting the colour-ringed Ruff I saw at s´Albufera on my second day here (25.3.2014). It was ringed in the Netherlands at Polder-Gaast-Ferwoude on 4.4.2009 as a less than 2 year old male. It continued to be seen in the Netherlands in April 2009, 2010, and April/May 2011. In April 2012 it was then seen in France (Saint Marie du Mont). Then back in the Netherlands in April 2013. Finally in s´Albufera on 19, 22 (seen by Pere Garcias) and 25 March 2014 (me). Presumably it will arrive in the Netherlands sometime soon.

Martin

Just back from a late tour of the hides. At Es Cibollar the Whimbrel that´s been present for some days reappeared and 2 Marbled Duck/Teal looked as if they were prospecting for nesting sites but flew off after about 30 mins. Sa Roca was quiet but with 6 Wood Sands, plus another 16 that flew over and looked as if they dropped in somewhere near Es Cibollar II. One Osprey flew over. Decidedly chilly, especially for just shirt-sleeves.
Let´s see what tomorrow brings.
Martin

Last edited:
Martin
Many thanks for the info on Mondrago Nature Res,it is a wee bit South of my usual haunt of Northern Majorca but Mikes description sounded like it may just be worth the drive.

Cheers

Bob

You could double-up with a visit to Salobrar de Campos (the salt-pans) as well, if you had the time. There have been some good reports from there, especially waders and flamingoes.
Martin

Hi Bob. Mondragó is right over in the South-East of the Island, quite a trek from Pollença area but I live there so it's easy! It's good for Tawny pipit, Short-toed lark and migrants on the right day, Pied flycatcher, Redstart and Willow warblers. There will be Nightjars at the end of April and there are two torrents which attract a few waders. The Orchids are wonderful so it's a great place to visit but there is nothing to see that can't be seen easily in many other areas. Hope this helps. Mike

Hello again- At the Can Cuarassa pools the screens are still in disrepair, so every wader flies off as you approach Hugh Matthews.

Hi Hugh

When I went to C´an Cuarassa, looking for the Pallid Harrier, there were people refitting the uprights for the screens. Since then the same people have been repairing the drive into Sa Roca. They left here this morning with a load of Arundo donax ¿giant reed? screens so, hopefully, they will be back to normal soon, following the storm damage (or vandalism?).
Best wishes
Martin

A wonderful evening at Punta de n'Amer tonight. (on the east coast just north of Sa Coma) between 5,000 and 6,000 mixed shearwaters seen, both Balearic and Scopoli's, and one Yelkouan shearwater, 10 Great skuas, one Storm petrel and three Dolphins. A couple of Wheatears on the rocks. A super calm sea and good company, what more could I ask for? Mike

Sounds good at Punta de n´Amer, Mike- I was there two years ago and had good sightings of both Shearwaters with some migrant Short-toed Larks as a bonus. Today I went to Albufera and had two firsts-one the Red-throated Pipit (later confirmed by a local with a huge telephoto lens that I met in Sa Roca hide)-the call is very distinctive and alerted me to something that I did not have experience of-then the bird landed on the little island at Es Cibollar 2 and I was able to see the subtle shade of red on the breast. It got chased off by a Yellow Wagtail, but the call was still audible so it didn`t go far. The second "tick" was Martin and it was nice to put a face to the prolific contributor to this thread. As he has summed up most of the birds I will just mention the Black-tailed Godwit (only the second that I have seen on the island in 14 visits) and the apparent dearth of Night Herons- I had to search really hard along the Gran Canal until I found just one hiding in the bushes opposite- there were lots more in the earlier years of our visits. I heard a singing Moustached Warbler near the raised boardwalk at the centre. The new map of birding sites looks good- I purchased one today, together with the last two Anuaris fro 2011 and 2012- I find these very helpful as it is quite easy to work out the sites and numbers despite the language being Mallorquin. On this subject- where exactly should I go at Can Cuarassa to find a Spotless Starling? Tonight at the Hotel a member of staff of the Leicester University Ecology course showed me two small Scorpions that they had found on Formentor, and at the hotel floodlight was the impressive Iberian Puss Moth ( as also seen last year). tomorrow we have a car, and not much birding opportunity, but you never know. Hugh Matthews.

Hi Hugh

I had one too last night.

Interesting to hear of the Leicester Uni course, as with any scientific study being done here. I had previously read about this on their website.

Best wishes

Martin

Apparently a Cream-coloured Courser has been taken into care on Menorca. One of those in Mallorca would do very nicely thank you. A few more Bee-eaters have been reported today.

Very interesting reading about the Ruff Martin, it is always fascinating to hear about the migration of birds which never ceases to amaze me.

Hi Bob. Mondragó is right over in the South-East of the Island, quite a trek from Pollença area but I live there so it's easy! It's good for Tawny pipit, Short-toed lark and migrants on the right day, Pied flycatcher, Redstart and Willow warblers. There will be Nightjars at the end of April and there are two torrents which attract a few waders. The Orchids are wonderful so it's a great place to visit but there is nothing to see that can't be seen easily in many other areas. Hope this helps. Mike

Mike
Thanks for the info on Mondrago,trying to get out to Majorca on Sunday so I may well bump into some of the folk who contribute to this thread.
Is it still advisable to bring warm cloths ,fleece jacket hat etc, for early morning and evenings ?

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob
Yes, I think it is wise to bring warm clothes. I laugh at the airport as all the Brits step off the plane in shorts and T shirts and we are all waiting for them in hats and over-coats! It can still be cold in the evenings particularly when out birding in the exposed areas and on the coast. It is lovely and warm at the moment but that can all change. Hope you bump into some visitors, I have met some great people around the hot-spots. Good luck, Mike

Hi Hugh, many thanks and I am glad that you have enjoyed being in Mallorca. I am interested in your Blue tit sighting. I saw one a few years ago in Parc Mondragó at sea level but was told they are never seen away from the mountains. I think I know a Blue tit when I see one! I would love to hear any other low level records. Mondragó is once again filled with the liquid notes of Nightingales with a differerent one every few paces. I hope you wife gets better soon, Mike

Although it's a few years since I visited Mallorca I often used to see Blue tit in Cala san Vicente (definitely at sea level) around the oak woods.

Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back