• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.
Yeah... they sure do LOL. Not only that, but their calls seem to echo, so they could be on the opposite side of the valley altogether sometimes!!

It's not important
Oh but it is.... you'll be losing sleep over it eventually until you get your picture LOL. This was happening to me for a while over Jays... got him yesterday!!! A friend kept calling me telling me he'd seen one grrr!!! And I'd been in that place the day before!

Yeah... they sure do LOL. Not only that, but their calls seem to echo, so they could be on the opposite side of the valley altogether sometimes!!

Oh but it is.... you'll be losing sleep over it eventually until you get your picture LOL. This was happening to me for a while over Jays... got him yesterday!!! A friend kept calling me telling me he'd seen one grrr!!! And I'd been in that place the day before!
I deleted the originals, that'll sort it ;) maybe ..... blooming weather, I was going to walk down to the Isla, I found tracks in the mud on the bank, been trying to ID them.
20230502_141752.jpg

Dunno... looks like 6 toes on the front, can't think what has that.

Try the Mammals forum: Mammals someone should be able to help. What size were they?

May 16th 2023 A wee interesting event this evening. We have two budgies in a large cage near patio windows. The curtains were closed, them to the outside, so the sun isn't blotting out the TV screen. Almost 8 o'clock and there's a bit of a ruckus, i open the curtains to see what's going on.....
20230516_200001.jpg
This beautiful, young? Sparrowhawk is perched on the arm of the lounger eyeing up the budgies. It obviously doesn't see us as it flies onto the back, the house roof, the chair then away!
20230516_195956.jpg20230516_200427.jpg
Country life. 🥰

I saw that post. The bridge must be the one that's closed... any news on that, as I love driving along that one to/from Kinnordy.

Hmmm... done it again... lost count of the times I've done this.... forgotten to submit the post!!!

Yeah... bet that gave the budgies a right old scare, eh??!!

A Sparrowhawk visiting just goes to show that you've a healthy population around you.

May 17th 2023 A glance out the window gave a me a sight I've been hoping for in a good while.
20230517 - Greenfinches galore - four young.jpg
A family of Greenfinches on a feeder, father overwhelmed by the demands :ROFLMAO: of four youngsters.
There have been four pairs coming to the feeders this year, great to see and I've been hoping they all rear young.
20230517 - Greenfinch young.jpg
This morning, it seems that dad brought them to the restaurant and has left them to it, "Gawn yersels"
P.S. I've been keeping the feeders super clean.

May 25th 2023 - Den of Alyth. Went for a stroll along the Den yesterday afternoon, a bit early for the sunlight to light up the lower areas but I managed to grab a few shots. Lots of feeding going on, Robin, Blackbird, Grey Wagtail and Dippers although the Dipper had its young one out on the burn with it, looked like an instructional day out. I've been scouring for Spotted Flycatcher but nothing yet.
Spent a short time watching the potential Nuthatch nest but, as we walked away, I spotted a Great Spotted Woodpecker first I'd seen down there for a while, as it flew away from the nest tree. Have they taken over?
I witnessed that down in Wales two years ago. I'll have another look soon.
Parenthood - Juvenile and adult Dippers on the burn today.jpg Parenthood - Juvenile and adult Dippers on the burn today 2.jpg
A first for young Dippers for me, you can see that the sun wasn't reaching much of the burn at the time we were there.
Robin - The joys of parenthood.jpg Robin - Harrassed parent.jpg
I'd guess at least two Robin pairs were feeding young.
Dipper in unusual bokeh.jpg Dipper juvenile under instruction.jpg
Getting shots of the Dippers was challenging and I'm pretty chuffed to get any decent shots at all. Looks like the adult is explaining to the youngster how to get into the bugs under the water :)
I'd seen a pair of Grey Wagtails taking food to a nest area last time I was here, only saw the female this time, maybe taking time out for a groom and brush up?
Grey Wagtail female by the burn.jpg Grey Wagtail female by the burn 2.jpg
Saw quite a few Blackbirds foraging and gathering, only one with actual ....... not sure what!
Blackbird male - Bringing home the ......thing.jpg
Spotted a couple of Treecreepers ...... creeping up trees, oddly enough.
Treecreeper showing off the beautiful feather colours.jpg Treecreeper caught in forest light.jpg Treecreeper ...... creeping.jpg
Their feathers are beautiful when seen clearly.
There wasn't a great deal going on but it was a wonderful walk, only met three others down there, love it. We did spot an enormous fungus growing on a tree trunk and I was certain a small bird flew out from the gap behind it but, it won over my patience so after it flew away, nothing more. C'est la vie.
Huge fungus on a tree trunk.jpg
This thing would make a great picnic table or shelter!
We did have a Stoat scampering about on the Airlie road as we headed home.
Nothing exciting reported but, what a fab place for a stroll and just enjoying mature.

May 27th 2023 The first Collared Dove also showed up yesterday and again this morning, I hadn't seen any up here so far so a year first on the patch.
20230528 - Collared Dove on the feeder.jpg
Also yesterday a Rook arrived, perched on the fence staring in the window before dropping and grabbing a bunch of suet pellets. We had a Rook bring a youngster to the garden last year so ...... maybe another this year?
20230528 - Rook on the fence.jpg20230528 - Rook on the fence giving me the eye.jpg20230528 - Rook blinking.jpg
Last night a Yellowhammer female flew into my window and a male dropped to the ground beside and started chirping at her! 🥰 I ran out to check on here and she was just stunned, kept an eye on them and she was up and away with her mate not long after 😅

May 28th 2023 The first Starling youngsters just turned up in the garden, one adult and FIVE young! One youngster wandered around on its own, maybe from another brood, who knows?
20230508 - Starlings being fed suet pellets.jpg20230508 - Starling - Three Amigos.jpg20230508 - Starling youngster.jpg
Always entertaining watching adult Starlings trying to cope with the demands of their young.

May 28th 2023 Took a walk up the Ericht yesterday, it's become a favourite walk with a wee "private" picnic spot :ROFLMAO: if there's no-one else there;)
Quite a few Black Backed Gulls near the weir , four or five of them, probably lesser? and a Black Headed as well as the usual suspects. Didn't see or hear much at all up there for a change.
On the trip home I decided to get out at the bottom of the lane, it's a mile long and up steep hills! I wanted to check out the mill pond for Damselflies .......... carrying the camera with a 150-600mm lens on it? Didn't really think that through. :unsure:
So, standing well back, I got a few shots of Large Red Damselflies in action, so to speak!
Large Red Damselfly on a rock.jpg Large Red Damselfly male on a leaf.jpg Large Red Damselfly male on a leaf 2.jpg
I can't even remember being aware of these here so, I'll be heading back to the pond later, with an appropriate lens :oops:
Large Reds hooked up on a rock.jpg Large Red Damselflies hooked up and laying.jpg
The colours in these creatures are just amazing.
I think it's worth noting that the local farmer maintains this pond and the surrounding area with wildlife in mind, wonderful.
So, I head UP the long lane, it's only a mile but a lot of steep ups!
I stopped a few times to watch, follow and wait for Orange Tipped butterflies to land :sleep: they don't very often!
Orange Tip butterfly on a young Oak.jpg
Sorry, it's Bird forum ;)
So, we've driven up and down the lane many times this year and recently spotted a bird(s) flitting through the trees, attempting to disappear from our view, never actually getting to see them clearly. Kind of brownish, Thrush sized, fast .....
There are a few Jays in the area but SO secretive and when I caught glimpses of two of these unknown birds I realised they may be young Jays? I will persevere and attempt to get a couple of shots.
So, over the hill finally, down into the last dip, near the reed beds and I hear a song, well, maybe a few so, I whipped out the trusty Samsung and started BirdNET. I let it run a good while, the sounds were confusing, not difficult for me. I analysed them (British spelling) 😡
Sedge Warbler and Greater Whitethroat that's what confused me (maybe) ;) Never saw the Whitethroat but did get to see a Sedge Warbler which was obligingly perching in the reed beds waiting for me. See, I knew I needed a long lens.
20230528 - Sedge Warbler in the reed beds.jpg 20230528 - Sedge Warbler in the reed beds .jpg
Still not seen a Reed Warbler down there .... yet

May 29th 2023 Still in love with the diversity of birds I get to watch, without leaving my wee den. Sitting at my Mac, writing this, camera on a trip next to me, looking out the window at the tree and grass. Just over a year ago, when we moved back to Scotland and ended up here, I had hoped to see Tree Sparrows, Yellowhammers, maybe even a Crossbill and not only have we now seen them and photographed them, two of them are regulars outside my window. Loving it still.
This morning I did a 15 minute watch.
Jackdaw, Crow and Rook, all out there at the same time. Male and female GSW on a suet feeder, Red Legged and Grey Partridge both there at the same time, Yellowhammers, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Tree and House Sparrows, Starlings with young, Greenfinches with young and Blue Tit; all without leaving my seat! OK, I do get up to grab shots but, you get the picture.

Gosh!! What lovely pictures you got. Didn't realise there used to be a mill there!

Good luck with the Reed Warbler, I hear there was a breeding attempt at the Tay Reed beds a year or so ago, but don't know what the result of that was. Otherwise I've not heard of any up here... are there any???

Gosh!! What lovely pictures you got. Didn't realise there used to be a mill there!

Good luck with the Reed Warbler, I hear there was a breeding attempt at the Tay Reed beds a year or so ago, but don't know what the result of that was. Otherwise I've not heard of any up here... are there any???
You're asking me? lol Just been scouring through last years photos, I thought I'd seen, captured them down there but no, all Sedge so maybe not?

I think I may have heard some when I had a holiday in the Borders a few years ago, but otherwise not had any up here.

The last I saw of them was 20 years ago when I was in Sussex!

A Great Reed Warbler now... saw one of them at Kinnordy! That'd be good, wouldn't it LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back