• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.
I think I may have heard some when I had a holiday in the Borders a few years ago, but otherwise not had any up here.

The last I saw of them was 20 years ago when I was in Sussex!

A Great Reed Warbler now... saw one of them at Kinnordy! That'd be good, wouldn't it LOL
Hi Delia,

Reed Warbler is regular in Lothian now. I think they are in the Tay reedbeds too.

David

Ah!! Thanks David.

That's good to know... maybe Kinnordy and Scoz will get one (or a pair) before too long!!

June 5th 2023 Just walked down to the mailbox and back, on the way back up we spotted our first Swifts circling above the trees, had to be 20+ Greta to see them at last and like last year, I think, by the time we'd walked out of the trees, they'd gone! Dispersed to their respective areas?

June 3rd 2023 After being inundated with Starling youngsters, the first of the Great Spotted Woodpecker young appeared today. The adults brought their young to the feeders last year, three that I could be certain off but now there are two at least coming with the grownups.
20230603 - GSW youngster and mum.jpg20230603 - GSW youngster and mum 2.jpg
First glimpse was of mother feeding a juvenile on the tree.

Mum, or dad then shoot off, back to the nest I presume and the youngster often stays around looking lost but then heads away, back to the nest area I assume.
20230603 - Great Spotted Woodpecker youngster.jpg
20230603 - First GSW youngster.jpg
I'm always concerned that the Sparrowhawk or similar are around and watching.
Both parents are now visiting often and seeing off the young Starlings when they take over.
20230604 - Mother pecker checks out the Starlings.jpg20230604 - Starling youngster gets pointers from the Woodpecker male.jpg
The Starlings are great to watch, like a comedy show but they're like a plague of locusts, in, eat EVERYTHING, leave!
20230604 - Starling youngster joins the woodpecker male on the suet feeder.jpg
This male looks a right state, maybe just been in the water? There seem to be two males visiting, not just while the young are here but generally, one has a very pronounced red patch, the other much smaller and there's often ructions when they both appear!

June 6th 2023 Day of the Sparrow. The Tree Sparrows have brought the first youngsters I've seen this year, to the feeder. It's getting very busy out there with all the Starlings and the GSW, the Starlings devour anything and everything, definitely the bullies too.
20230606 - Tree Sparrow youngster being fed.jpg 20230606 - Tree Sparrow youngster being fed 2.jpg 20230606 - Tree Sparrow youngster being fed 3.jpg
Young birds always seem to look glum, maybe it's just hunger?
20230606 - Tree Sparrow youngster.jpg 20230606 - Tree Sparrow youngster trying to smile at the camera.jpg
There seems to be two young and an adult is feeding one each.
20230606 - Tree Sparrow family portrait.jpg 20230606 - Tree Sparrow youngster and adult on the fence.jpg
Just the House Sparrows to arrive although, they do seem to spend more time off in the wild and the Siskin parents seem to be visiting a bit more.

August 9th 2023. Another sporadic post from my patch / garden, I spend so much time taking and editing photos, I forget to update here and a few other places too :( but, it seems to have been a pretty good year for the young birds up here, most notably a sea of Greenfinches, always good to see, I gave up counting the young birds after 10 ish, there were four pairs at the start of summer and the first brood appeared back in May, I'm still seeing young birds now, some looking pretty fresh, so provided they all make it into adulthood, it's been a good year for them. I didn't see very many Goldfinch young this year maybe two or three but they may just be feeding elsewhere. There were quite a few Tree Sparrow youngsters around and fairly recently the House Sparrows some still feeding young now. There were quite a few Yellowhammers dropping by the garden but I've yet to see any young from them, our resident Pied Wagtails came back then disappeared, to nest? but one has now re-appeared and is guzzling the mealworms on the ground. There are a plethora (great word) of Chaffinch young in the garden and the GSW returned with two or three youngsters, not sure how many. Blue and Great Tits had young, there seem to be around four Blue Tit young and definitely two Great Tit.
Outside the garden the Swallows have definitely multiplied and I did see a Whitethroat feeding two young on the fence across the lane. The Mistle Thrush ate enough mealworms in April to feed a nestful but I never knowingly saw any young in the garden. The Crows, Rooks and Jackdaws have appeared briefly with young in the garden, a Jackdaw family popped in this morning. One of the most recent was the Siskins but, again, there don't seem to be as many as last year, they may well be elsewhere of course. I did post earlier in the year that we hadn't seen a Dunnock up here, not long after that it appeared and there have been a couple of young ones seen foraging along the fence line. I almost forgot the Blackbirds, seen a few young birds in the garden. I Know there are House Martins around, I see them mud collecting earlier then they disappear.
Yet another Sparrowhawk incident yesterday evening, sitting watching TV, curtains closed when the budgies started kicking off, we crept up to the curtains and peeped through and there was a beautiful female on one of the deck chairs, looking quizzically at the budgies, trying to figure out why she couldn't get to them? (Inside the patio doors)
20230808_210338.jpg 20230808_210335.jpg20230808_210334.jpg 20230808_210247.jpg
I got a couple of video clips of her but they're too big for here :(
My only concern is for the Sparrowhawk, if she hits the window at speed. I watched her on our boundary fence after this with Swallows dive bombing before she flew off.

Do you have it posted by one of these?

If so, hmmm .... think you'd need to either edit one, or think about a lower resolution copy. Sorry, no idea about what you need to do, as I've no experience with videos.
Thanks @delia todd I was just trying to upload it directly, I'll try Flickr, I've given up on FB, hate it (n) I use Mastodon now (what?) 😱
Sparrowhawk female on the roof

A lovely video that Scoz. You could now upload that one to the Gallery as well.

If you do, could you add " video " to your Tags. That way it will ensure it gets picked up in the Video Search on the Opus article.

A lovely video that Scoz. You could now upload that one to the Gallery as well.

If you do, could you add " video " to your Tags. That way it will ensure it gets picked up in the Video Search on the Opus article.
Thanks Delia, the file is almost 24 Mb, too big too upload :( PS, Ignore me:ROFLMAO:(y)

Last edited:
I've added the scientific name to the tags along with the full common name. However, there must be something wrong with the search parameters as neither your video, nor others which should be there are showing.

I can't work out what is wrong so I've asked the more technically clever for assistance! It'll soon be sorted I'm sure.

Seeing a Treecreeper always makes my day!!!

Thanks for posting this so early Scoz... my day is made already!!!

October 28th 2023
Well, hasn't it been dreich up here all week? Floods last week and here we are with another week of rain, can't have it all eh? It has meant that a lot of wee birdies have been flocking to the garden and the feeders AND, I've had to go out and clean my window at least twice!!! :(
So, the Mistle Thrush is now visiting daily, a pair of GSW still make an appearance from time to time and the Greenfinch population is strong so far, roughly 14 birds visiting regularly. I estimated 3/4 pairs earlier in the year. A Pheasant has started dropping by daily again and there have been families of Grey and Red-legged Partridge seen having a browse but not regularly yet. The Yellowhammers and Reed Buntings are rarely seen in the garden but still in the field at the back. Blue, Great and Coal Tits are regulars, now seeing more than one Coal Tit. My news of the week is the appearance of the Brambling(s), a male first spotted on the 24th on a feeder, posted in the gallery yesterday, I think :unsure: with the caption "Here today, gone tomorrow, that's me" ( little quote from the moon) ;)
So last night, at too dark for photos o'clock, I spotted the Brambling again, grabbed a few very noisy shots and viewed / edited this morning!
Well, well, well ...
20231027 - Brambling female in the garden.jpg 20231027 - Brambling male in the garden.jpg

He brought a lady friend, only noticed when editing this morning :)
20231027 - Brambling male and female in the garden.jpg
Nice to see.
I am seeing flocks of Thrush-like birds around and Merlin told me it heard Redwings yesterday as I stood outside for the fifteen seconds of dry spell :cry:
Ach, it's only rain, hoping to head up the reservoir today, that's what wet weather gear is for right?

20231015 - Mistle Thrush in the corner.jpg
Parting shot of the Mistle Thrush outside the window, still very shy but ok if I move V E R Y slowly when trying to focus 👋

October 29th 2023
There was a minuscule break in the weather this morning so I headed to Kirriemuir to hunt for Waxwings :oops: it rained, a lot and there were no Waxwings that I found. A LOT of Redwing in the Holly trees in the cemetery but that's about it Oh and it rained the whole time so, no photos anyway.
Home again and sitting at the Mac editing, listening to music and looking out the window. Oh and taking more photos, the Brambling count is now up to four! What with all the leaves falling it's getting harder to spot them in amongst all the Chaffinches, Greenfinches and Goldfinches so ....20231029 - The gathering.jpg
What do you see?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back