• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.
Absolutely gorgeous @delia todd couldn't believe it just cruised slowly by, I thought I'd glimpsed it before but now it's confirmed, must keep a camera in every window :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Add: I've just realised, I think I've seen a female over the same field in the past, I asked someone about a brown bird of prey with a white patch above the tail .... :unsure:

Last edited:
January 18th 2024 - Bird of prey and Corvid - Driving slowly along the lane this morning, due to snow, I spotted a bird of prey above the trees that follow the lane, smallish, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk maybe? Couldn't get a decent look at it until it turned across the fields, away from me, only to be spotted by a Covid that decided it didn't like its presence and proceeded to chase it off.
I grabbed the camera, long lens and started shooting for about 2 minutes, both birds now quite distant but the flying display was fabulous until it became obvious that the BoP was fed up and turned the tables, chasing off and attacking the Corvid. A longer / better lens may have helped but I don't think so.
My point and questions is, what are they? Rook and Sparrowhawk? Raven?
20240118 - Corvid vs BoP.jpg
20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 2.jpg 20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 3.jpg
20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 4.jpg
20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 6.jpg
20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 7.jpg 20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 8.jpg
20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 9.jpg
20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 10 - Finale.jpg
Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 5.jpg
    20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 5.jpg
    905.1 KB · Views: 11
Just noticed this tucked away in the bowels of BF. :rolleyes:

Nice selection of birds. 👍
Though it's generally pretty high up the Scottish section ;) ;)

Beginning to vie in popularity with the Torry thread (Andrew will have to watch out!!!:D

Think your raptor (vs corvid) looks a lot like a Merlin, Brian. Probably worth cropping in tighter on the birds before uploading - will also reduce file size.

Thanks Barry, these are already heavily cropped, they were probably a mile ish away 👍
When looking for an ID/confirmation you are cropping to help to show at least some detail as well as the overall shape of the bird rather than for aesthetic reasons. It is amazing how much detail even a substantial crop (such as these below) can retain and it can make ID-ing easier. Birdforum only lets you zoom in once on a PC so zooming in on your 'crop' doesn't really help much, meaning that anyone who wants to zoom in further has to save your photos and then crop in software to show detail (unless using a phone to view) which is more effort than a lot of people are likely to go to, to answer an ID query on here - unless they want to confirm their own suspicions. Most folk won't. Obviously there are times when cropping further won't help -usually as a result of poor light/distance but not every bird is identifiable at a distance anyway. Posting 'your' crop and 'mine' side by side can also be a helpful option and lead to more answers. As you will be able to see from the cropped photos below the bird is easier identifiable as a Merlin with the large crop.

Attachments

• 20240118 - Corvid vs BoP-EDIT.JPG
    20240118 - Corvid vs BoP-EDIT.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 9-EDIT.JPG
    20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 9-EDIT.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 8-EDIT.JPG
    20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 8-EDIT.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 7-EDIT.JPG
    20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 7-EDIT.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 5-EDIT.JPG
    20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 5-EDIT.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 3-EDIT.JPG
    20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 3-EDIT.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 2-EDIT.JPG
    20240118 - Corvid vs BoP 2-EDIT.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 4
When looking for an ID/confirmation you are cropping to help to show at least some detail as well as the overall shape of the bird rather than for aesthetic reasons. It is amazing how much detail even a substantial crop (such as these below) can retain and it can make ID-ing easier. Birdforum only lets you zoom in once on a PC so zooming in on your 'crop' doesn't really help much, meaning that anyone who wants to zoom in further has to save your photos and then crop in software to show detail (unless using a phone to view) which is more effort than a lot of people are likely to go to, to answer an ID query on here - unless they want to confirm their own suspicions. Most folk won't. Obviously there are times when cropping further won't help -usually as a result of poor light/distance but not every bird is identifiable at a distance anyway. Posting 'your' crop and 'mine' side by side can also be a helpful option and lead to more answers. As you will be able to see from the cropped photos below the bird is easier identifiable as a Merlin with the large crop.
Many thanks Barry, I'm just chuffed it's a Merlin, a first for me (y)

2024 so far .....
It's been quite a busy start to the year up here, without going too far at all. During the first couple of weeks I've spotted both male and female Hen Harriers cruising the fields at the back of the property then, on the 17th I photographed, albeit long distance, a Merlin / Carrion Crow battle, thanks to @Stonefaction for confirmation. The garden was almost overrun on our snowiest days with repeated visits by a Brambling pair, possibly three, one of the females showing a ring but I couldn't get close enough shots for any info.
I've already share some shots above but I'll add a link to my page for the 17th, on of the busiest in the garden so far.
Feeding the 5,000

Nice one.... hope he stays to breed.

You'll have to set up a feeding station and chuck out choice cuts of meat for him....:rolleyes:

There was a pair nesting somewhere nearby last year 🤞
I'm sure there were, I've seen so many the last couple of years along the Kaims of Airlie Road , round the Castle entrance and right along that road to the double bend.

Wandered out to the back of the house earlier this evening, just to see what I might see in the hedges and around. Took a look further down the field and spotted a Short-eared owl hunting, been out watching and photographing, will try for better in the morning or tomorrow evening, patch first :love:(y)20240329 - Short-eared Owl on the patch.jpg
20240329 - Short-eared Owl on the patch - edit 1.jpg 20240329 - Short-eared Owl on the patch - edit 2.jpg 20240329 - Short-eared Owl on the patch - edit 3.jpg 20240329 - Short-eared Owl on the patch - edit 4.jpg

March 31st - Spent an hour and a half lurking in the SEO zone last night, not a glimpse! A fox did slink by and a wee Warbler landed so close I couldn't have got a shot unless with my phone so, I trudged home, had a look back with the bins and there it was!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back