• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding with a disability (4 Viewers)

Thanks Sam & Henry, this is a very good site indeed! Im sure I'll get a lot of help and information here, as indeed I have done so far, but Im certain theres much more to come!

Malc.

Nina,if you get to read this,you were asking how you could transport your scope etc on a buggy.Yes ,it can be done.I have a small buggy which takes apart so I can fit it in the car boot.Scope and tripod hang over the backrest of the seat,straps shortened so nothing is dangling on the ground.Scope cam sits in a bag above them and rests on the scope.Slr cam is in the basket on the front of the buggy,a bit heavy and it does make the handlebars swing around somewhat when stationary,fold up stick and spare lens tucked underneath,the seat.I had to find something I could use when going anywhere in the car,as my usual trike is too big,and this set up works perfectly.Complete independence.It is a little slow,does get stuck in the mud,and when photographing the Herons at Muncaster Castle,did forget to switch it off,leant on the handlebars,it set off and nearly knocked me tail over top down the Castle ramparts,very scary,and embarrassing,as I had to be "rescued " as it were, (my main concern was hanging onto the scope and tripod which was set up beside me!!!) but yes Nina,and indeed anyone else who has to resort to one of these contraptions to be able to be out and about birding etc,with a little thought anything is possible.

Hi Malcolm, welcome to BF.

This is a great site, and this thread is one of the most inspirational I have ever read. Thanks for refreshing it for everyone to see again.

Like many people of this thread, I took up birding when illness (arthritis) curtailed my other activities (long-distance walking and hill climbing).

My illness is in remission at the moment, and I am far better than I have been at any time in the last two years - still a little bit of pain but absolutely nothing to complain about.

This site, this thread, and the people who share their thought here have been a source of inspiration to me at some of my lowest moments, when I thought I might not walk again at all.

I hope you get as much out of being on BF, and as much from your birding, as I have over the last couple of years.

Good luck with everything, and I hope to see you in the River Pool Hide soon. I thoroughly approve of your choice of targets - I know it well and it is a great spot. Mind you, I think I've seen most of my best Ladywalk birds from the near side (including some great views of Bittern and Water Rail) so don't give up on those hides!

Cheers

Marc

I've only just come across this thread. I have emphysema and asthma (smoking roll-ups) but not to the extent that I need oxygen. I'm OK on the level and not carrying anything but it pales into insignificance when compared to the stories I've read here. You're all an inspiration and deliver to me a much needed swift mental kick up the bum when I'm feeling sorry for myself on one of my "bad" days. (which I now realise aren't really bad)
H

Oh just an addition. It was nice to hear from Ashley whose dad is Bo, The Fat Birder, who has done so much to try to inprove our lot.
H

Hi Marc, Im glad to hear you are improved in health, hopefully it will stay that way for you! I was a bit reticent about posting to this thread at first since it was quite a time since the last post, Im glad I did now, as you say it has refereshed it! I love Ladywalk, and to think it was a huge power station! I'll be easy to spot as Im 6'2" at 20st and have a wooden walking stick will be with a 5'1" wife, and have no birding dress! LOL!

Cheers, Mal.

H, are you still on the rollups? I always use a filter in mine, and liqorice papers. Have cut dow a bit since this heart attack mind you, even though i have low cholestrol, good blood pressure ect, and they seem to think it is hereditary heart disease. My dad was dead at 46 with his second attack, and his brother at 55, i believe uncle Bill lasted the further 14 yrs as he never did any physical work in his life! They would likely have survived these days however as knowledge in medicine is so much better than 20 years ago.

Malcolm Fisher said:
Hi Marc, Im glad to hear you are improved in health, hopefully it will stay that way for you! I was a bit reticent about posting to this thread at first since it was quite a time since the last post, Im glad I did now, as you say it has refereshed it! I love Ladywalk, and to think it was a huge power station! I'll be easy to spot as Im 6'2" at 20st and have a wooden walking stick will be with a 5'1" wife, and have no birding dress! LOL!

Cheers, Mal.

I look forward to that meeting Mal. Keep well.

I was a roll-up smoker up to a month ago,when i started on Patches. with the money i have saved i will be ordering a pair of HG 10x32 or 10x42s can,t make my mind up yet suggestions please? And yes i do feel a lo t healthier for stopping smoking.

Hello Malcom, so sorry to hear about your health problems, but I do hope you enjoy your birding. You have a great attidude to life. Good luck. Trish.

Thank you for the very kind words Trish! I feel I will continue to enjoy birding, Im keener now than when I first took interest around 18 months ago, and of course I have so much time now, which I did not when at work! :)

The Driving Tour

Malcolm Fisher said:
Thank you for the very kind words Trish! I feel I will continue to enjoy birding, Im keener now than when I first took interest around 18 months ago, and of course I have so much time now, which I did not when at work! :)
for those of us with limited mobility or stamina I have found the driving park tour an outstanding ecperience.Near me is a refuge of over 2000 acres of marsh on the south shore of Lake Erie.The Ottawa refuge is legendary for migrants passing to and from Canada Because it is such a specie abundant site it can not be overloked by any serious local birder.The park has nine miles of trails that are 12 feet wide and built atop sturdy erthen dikes.Once a month the trails are opened for a self guided auto tour through the marsh.I just finished my third one today at Ottawa and took a similar tour last year at the Brigantine wetlands in NJ. The car becomes a mobile blind and shoulders have been provided at key spots to pull over to.If you can find these types of tours they are of great value for getting through large parks and seeing many birds.
Sam

The Driving Tour

Malcolm Fisher said:
for those of us with limited mobility or stamina I have found the driving park tour an outstanding ecperience.Near me is a refuge of over 2000 acres of marsh on the south shore of Lake Erie.The Ottawa refuge is legendary for migrants passing to and from Canada Because it is such a specie abundant site it can not be overloked by any serious local birder.The park has nine miles of trails that are 12 feet wide and built atop sturdy earthen dikes.Once a month the trails are opened for a self guided auto tour through the marsh.I just finished my third one today at Ottawa and took a similar tour last year at the Brigantine wetlands in NJ. The car becomes a mobile blind and shoulders have been provided at key spots to pull over to.If you can find these types of tours they are of great value for getting through large parks and seeing many birds.
Sam

Hi All

I first started having problems with mobility 4 years ago when diagnosed with Peripheral Vascular Disease (clogging blood vessels) 3 years later my right leg was amputated.

My main hobbies are Golf, Birding and Photography. Have I stopped any of these activities since my op, not on your life. Well the golf is on hold for the time being.

For those with mobility problems have you thought about a golf buggy. Mine is battery powered and instead of carrying my golf bag on the back I carry my birding gear i.e. scope tripod camera bag. Because it is a golf buggy it is built to go over most terrain although I have found it does not like shingle or soft sand. Also if anyone decides to go down this route watch out for the distance between the wheels I have found mine will not go into most hides.

The make is Powakaddy and it will come apart to allow transportation in the boot of most cars, 2 12 volt gel type batteries give it a 20 mile capacity.

In the UK and I presume there is similar in the USA there is a good selection of electric mobility vehicles most of which are or can be made suitable for Birding. I would recommend the 4 wheel version for stability. The RSPB have started providing these at some of their sites. Minsmere I believe have one and Titchwell are supposed to be getting one.

Hope this is of help to someone.

Pete

This is a fascinating thread, which I remember reading earlier in the year, and I'm glad it's been revived now, because there are obviously so many of us with various disabilities.

I have a question though, for those of us in the UK. I have a wheelchair, and am quite tempted to get an electric one, but I do wonder about use of rights of way. Do we have the right to use electric wheelchairs on bridleways etc? (Obviously I realise that many footpaths would be out of the question because of stiles, kissing gates etc.) At the moment, I tend to go birding at established bird reserves where they will either allow you to drive your car to hides, or, for example, Pulborough Brooks, where they have a marvellous Tramper electric wheelchair (sails up a one in four hill with no problems at all). The only reason I would buy an electric wheelchair would be to get out into the countryside to go birding, but it might not really be feasible. I would be interested to hear if anyone can enlighten me about use of rights of way.

christineredgate said:
Nina,if you get to read this,you were asking how you could transport your scope etc on a buggy.Yes ,it can be done.I have a small buggy which takes apart so I can fit it in the car boot.Scope and tripod hang over the backrest of the seat,straps shortened so nothing is dangling on the ground.Scope cam sits in a bag above them and rests on the scope.Slr cam is in the basket on the front of the buggy,a bit heavy and it does make the handlebars swing around somewhat when stationary,fold up stick and spare lens tucked underneath,the seat.I had to find something I could use when going anywhere in the car,as my usual trike is too big,and this set up works perfectly.Complete independence.It is a little slow,does get stuck in the mud,and when photographing the Herons at Muncaster Castle,did forget to switch it off,leant on the handlebars,it set off and nearly knocked me tail over top down the Castle ramparts,very scary,and embarrassing,as I had to be "rescued " as it were, (my main concern was hanging onto the scope and tripod which was set up beside me!!!) but yes Nina,and indeed anyone else who has to resort to one of these contraptions to be able to be out and about birding etc,with a little thought anything is possible.
Well Christine, I can only say, "been there and done the same trick" don't you just feel soooo stupid? But this is how I now go about and with Trish now being with me it is so much easier, makes birding a real pleasure, this is how I look while out and about!

Attachments

• new access.JPG
    new access.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 146
florall said:
This is a fascinating thread, which I remember reading earlier in the year, and I'm glad it's been revived now, because there are obviously so many of us with various disabilities.

I have a question though, for those of us in the UK. I have a wheelchair, and am quite tempted to get an electric one, but I do wonder about use of rights of way. Do we have the right to use electric wheelchairs on bridleways etc? (Obviously I realise that many footpaths would be out of the question because of stiles, kissing gates etc.) At the moment, I tend to go birding at established bird reserves where they will either allow you to drive your car to hides, or, for example, Pulborough Brooks, where they have a marvellous Tramper electric wheelchair (sails up a one in four hill with no problems at all). The only reason I would buy an electric wheelchair would be to get out into the countryside to go birding, but it might not really be feasible. I would be interested to hear if anyone can enlighten me about use of rights of way.
As you can see I bought the battery powered buggy as I live in a rural area and cars aren't always the best things to use for short journeys, I got one that dissembles for use in the car as well as up the road, I was told that there is no reason not to use on bridleways, apart from the fact they get very boggy and wheels do get stuck, legally, no, but practically, possibly not!
If you know the path is negotiable then go ahead, but be warned that you will need another with you to go ahead so you don't come unstuck! Hence I now go with Trish my dear helpmate who has opened up my world enormously! See me in the buggy above!

Nina P said:
I was told that there is no reason not to use on bridleways, apart from the fact they get very boggy and wheels do get stuck, legally, no, but practically, possibly not!
If you know the path is negotiable then go ahead, but be warned that you will need another with you to go ahead so you don't come unstuck! Hence I now go with Trish my dear helpmate who has opened up my world enormously! See me in the buggy above!

Thanks for this Nina. Yes, I can understand that mud would be a problem.

In the advertising bumph that comes with the Tramper, I seem to remember someone taking it up the side of what looks like a Lake District fell. I would love to know what the legal situation is on that one! Still, a Tramper is out of the question for me. I was told that they cost about £5,000, and they are much too big to get in the car boot, would need a trailer, and we don't have a garage at home to store one in.

florall said:
Thanks for this Nina. Yes, I can understand that mud would be a problem.

In the advertising bumph that comes with the Tramper, I seem to remember someone taking it up the side of what looks like a Lake District fell. I would love to know what the legal situation is on that one! Still, a Tramper is out of the question for me. I was told that they cost about £5,000, and they are much too big to get in the car boot, would need a trailer, and we don't have a garage at home to store one in.
My little buggy can cope with a fairly steep slope but it isn't too good on a sideways one as I have gone out the side door on a 45deg slope, but it can't get up more than an inch step, if you can buy your buggy with DLA you don't pay VAT and mine cost £1500 but worth every penny to me, and you can get them on terms using mobility allowance.
I store mine in a shed which is very narrow dooway into it but it can be charged in the shed or house, I could get it in the narrow doorways here, but I feel the dirt would drive me mad! so keep it in the shed where I have electricity laid on so no need to bring it in doors, My Mother has a bigger buggy that she has to keep outside with a waterproof caver that is a bigger beast but also breaks down but we haven't resorted to that yet, I believer it was another thousand, so take your pick and choose whats best for you.

Last edited:
Malcolm, I thankfully managed to stop smoking about 13years ago so the emphysema has not "progressed" as much as it would have done. Cancer was/is the curse of our family. My father died with lung cancer at 49yrs, 2 brothers and 2 sisters have also gone. It leaves 3 of us, me being the oldest. My other sister had to have a kidney removed because of it.
I used the patches (nicotinelle) to help me stop. It wasn't too bad after the first 2 weeks.
H

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back