• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL Photo Adapter Ring (1 Viewer)

teircel

Has anyone used the new Swaro Bino photo adapter ring? It looks interesting for quick conformation photos in close cover.
Thanks

It's a handy little gadget - the sort you'd have thought someone would have come up with a long time ago.

Once you spot something you just have to raise one eye cup, fit the adapter and then the camera and take a photo. It takes a little practice as you have to hold the binos with one hand and hold the camera in a manner where you can release the shutter with a finger of the same hand.

I found it easiest to use something to lean against such as a tree or hide screen, but it can be done entirely hand held. With usually having my camera with me I haven't really used it much other than as a try out.

These photos are taken from 25yds and are both 1600x1200 crops resized to 800x600 - first with the Snap Shot Adapter and 8.5x42 EL's and the other from the same place with camera (Canon A95) at max optical zoom.

Attachments

• IMG_1373bo.JPG
    IMG_1373bo.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1385bbo.JPG
    IMG_1385bbo.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 163
I had a play with one at work the other week and it does seem a very handy bit of kit. It's quick at easy to fit to the bins and is very effective. As Ian has pointed out holding both bins and camera takes a bit of getting used to, and clearly you need decent light, but it definitely works. Having tested one I certainly plan to buy one.

Thanks, I too believe I will purchase one. Seems to be a very handy item when that odd vagrant shows up and you need a shot for the record commitee.

P.S. IanF, thanks the great example. Do you pre-focus? It seems that you may be one hand short if try to focus, hold the camera and shoot the photo at the same time. Without having tried it, though, it may be easier than it seems.

Yes, you prefocus the binoculars and then fit the camera and rely on it's autofocus. Around 1 in 6 shots came out pretty clear. You do feel as if you're one hand short though unless you can find something to lean against or sit down propping the binos on your knees.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back