• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Butterflies 2022 (1 Viewer)

A very tatty Small Tortoiseshell and a very smart Speckled Wood came out to greet the warm sunshine (out of the wind) this morning.
Well done. We were out in good habitat in quite strong sunshine this morning but nothing. Was still about 9 degrees despite the sun though

Male Brimstone flying around in the local park just before noon-always one of those magical seasonal milestones in the natural history year.

Finally clocked my first butterflies of the year today while looking for the female Serin by the M25 (saw it, too) - two Small Tortoiseshells hurtling across the field in line astern.

John

My first Peacock and Comma today - spiralling together on my arrival at the field - chased down the Comma first, then had to go the other direction for the Peacock. Also a Small Tortoiseshell.

My first butterfly of the year was a peacock on February 28th here in Düsseldorf.
Last week I saw a couple of Brimstones and on Friday the first Small Tortoiseshell (while watching curlews showing courtship display at Dingdener Heide). Sunday was the best day for butterflies yet with at least 7 Peacocks, 2 Commas and one Brimstone at the edge of a small forrest

Edit: I forgot to mention that I also saw my first Red Admiral of the year on Sunday.

Last edited:
My first butterfly of the year was a peacock on February 28th here in Düsseldorf.
Last week I saw a couple of Brimstones and on Friday the first Small Tortoiseshell (while watching curlews showing courtship display at Dingdener Heide). Sunday was the best day for butterflies yet with at least 7 Peacocks, 2 Commas and one Brimstone at the edge of a small forrest
Do you have a picture of that Small Tortoiseshell? I have seen quite a few Large Tortoiseshells (here is one from the Heubachwiesen), but Small Tortoiseshell has become very rare in the region.

Do you have a picture of that Small Tortoiseshell? I have seen quite a few Large Tortoiseshells (here is one from the Heubachwiesen), but Small Tortoiseshell has become very rare in the region.
No, I don‘t have a picture as it was only flying by. The underside of the forewings was distinctly brighter than the hindwings so I assume it was a Small Tortoiseshell rather than a Large T.
I wasn’t aware that Small T. is very rare in that area and didn’t spend too much time looking at it, so maybe it was a Large T.
Must be the only area in NRW where Large T. is the more common one.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back