• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (9 Viewers)

Well the show wasn't as good as i thought it would be - it was better!!

Some really stunning paintings - impossible to pick a favourite.

All simply done with loads of detail - if that makes sense.
Tim really has captured the birds and their environment, somehow managing to encapsulate the essence of orkney and its wildlife - many, many congratulations.

Going to go back for a longer more leisurely view, so I can do them justice.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul if you were here you'd see, I'm turning green with envy! Where is my catalog....a poor substitute but at least something....

With the exhibition now taking care of itself I had a few hours on Sunday to address some of the many issues with the restarted peregrine portrait. I've changed the bird (for the umpteenth time) and gone back to the sketches of the young bird I made for the general angle and overlaid this with adult-type plumage. I think the lighting was always an issue and now I'm somewhat happier about this aspect. As Sally says - 'don't let the background compete with the bird' - so I'd better not.

Attachments

• pere newbird1.jpg
    pere newbird1.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 81
This is looking really good and much improved, now you've got it,

....the hardest thing to deal with in this work IMO is the bird being pretty much smack center will tend to make the composition static, so everything you do will have to work against that, and I can see things already sketched in that are helping, plus the way the bird addresses us is quite dynamic. It's not that one can never put the center of interest in the middle, just means a lot of juggling when you do.

Just for my own edification I cropped it several places to change the position, you may want to try that too. I do think you will pull this off now in spite of the challenges it's given you. The light is really beautiful. Right now there is a lot of focus on the foot, cause you are not done, the foot is almost the exact center, once you finish off that area the focus will be on the head and that will really help.

Last edited:
do you not make your own headaches! this is looking good again! (and will the next time you mess with it!) just try and keep some of that glowing underpainting visible, the contrast amongst the warm and cold parts really creates a zinging feel.

Ta!
Here are a couple of pot-boilers that I managed to get out of the way.

Attachments

• lappyportsm.jpg
    lappyportsm.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 79
  • northsidegeosm.jpg
    northsidegeosm.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 80
  • skuasheetsm.jpg
    skuasheetsm.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 83
do you not make your own headaches! this is looking good again! (and will the next time you mess with it!) just try and keep some of that glowing underpainting visible, the contrast amongst the warm and cold parts really creates a zinging feel.

It's looking very good right now Tim. Nick's advice is good: don't make your own headaches!! Easier said than done I know.

Nothing wrong with pot-boilers done as well as these are.

And you are in good company. Liljefors had to paint "foxes and hares, foxes and hares" at the end of his career, a couple a week for his gallery, to support his large family and lifestyle. Sargent after painting about 600 portraits said "no more mugs!" He had intended to make money when he went into painting, and that's why he went into portraits, he did make money and when through wise investments he got financially secure, he stopped no matter who asked him or how much money they offered.

Been working out some positional drawings for a goldfinches piece which ended up a tad hectic. Calmed down with a couple of charcoal drawings - the sea arch pic isn't fnished yet, but ought to be tomorrow. The drawings are 36"x22".

Attachments

• goldies.jpg
    goldies.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 105
  • cormorants.jpg
    cormorants.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 78
  • sea arch.jpg
    sea arch.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 72
bursting with energy those goldies, wow - don't know where to put my eyes - really, better than caffeine! Charcoal looking good!

wow, love the goldfinches,

what is a "positional drawing" ( if its something different that doing the different positions)

I believe it says "from memory" on the page, REALLY? I think I need some memory pills :)

Can't keep up with you at all lately, Tim! So much stunning work here, and the gallery shot has me itching to hop across the pond for look (too bad the private jet's in for repairs this week)! Glad to see it all come together (and equally, to experience the privilege of getting an inside peek at the whole process).

. . . what is a "positional drawing" ( if its something different that doing the different positions)

I believe it says "from memory" on the page, REALLY?

Yes Colleen, that's what I what I mean by it - just working out some bird shapes for a composition.

And yes - I rarely see goldfinches up here (my last being a couple, 2 years ago in South Ronaldsay) - so I just have to try and remember their shapes. One thing I can't quite recall is the extent of black on the open wing - R-T Peterson shows it to cover the whole of the greater coverts but I had a sneaky feeling there was a patch of buff too. No doubt he's right - I'll go to the gallery and see if there's an answer.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back