• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (11 Viewers)

Very nice charcoal drawings Tim! I think they're the first I've seen of yours. They are very rich.

And drawing goldfinches from memory! I suppose you and some of the other artists here are accustomed to that. I just can't imagine doing so myself, at least not until I have a memory built up to work from. Right now there's next to none. It's a great lesson to those of us who are new to painting and drawing birds.

Very nice charcoal drawings Tim! I think they're the first I've seen of yours. They are very rich.

And drawing goldfinches from memory! I suppose you and some of the other artists here are accustomed to that. I just can't imagine doing so myself, at least not until I have a memory built up to work from. Right now there's next to none. It's a great lesson to those of us who are new to painting and drawing birds.

Ah yes...a memory. Gone be with the days....;)

Yours is doing fine, great Goldies almost flying off the page. Love the Shag charcoal, do love the medium a lot. Havent tried it in years, might have to change that.

(not been sketching due to Caspian Gull overload here, my head is starting to melt in the gull ID furnace, better get back to some nice migrants me thinks!)

MMmmm - Caspian gull. Wonder if it might be encouraged to drift o'er t'North Sea with several bucketloads of migrants this week-end.
Comlpeted the sea arch piece and all but with the second in the series:
The Fair Isle, I & The Fair Isle II - both charcoal on 1200 gsm lining paper, 36"x22".

Attachments

• FairIsle18.jpg
    FairIsle18.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 82
  • fairisle28.jpg
    fairisle28.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 70
MMmmm - Caspian gull. Wonder if it might be encouraged to drift o'er t'North Sea with several bucketloads of migrants this week-end.
Comlpeted the sea arch piece and all but with the second in the series:
The Fair Isle, I & The Fair Isle II - both charcoal on 1200 gsm lining paper, 36"x22".

This may seem like an odd question Tim, but I wonder if you know the type of rocks in these formations? They really have a hard, cold quality like granite or some other metamorphic rock. In any case I think it's a tribute to your powers of observation and ability to get that down on paper that makes me actually wonder about their type.

This is very detailed and believable rendering of both rock and water. I'm very impressed. As Nick says a 'harsh environment', but very striking for your ability to get that across. It reminds me of the icy surfaces of rock cuts that I see along the roadside as I drive to work in winter in Philadelphia. Hard and cold, with just the slightest gleam.

A Day of Fulmars

Yesnaby on a fairly inclement day, plus a quick watercoour of a juv cormorant.

Attachments

• yesnaby8.jpg
    yesnaby8.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 72
  • juvcorm.jpg
    juvcorm.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 76
Went to Birsay for hotdogs and cheeseburgers from the snack van at the Broch with darling wife and childers and on my return managed a wee bit of time at the peregrine portrait. I'm possibly about 80% there now, although most of the remaining work will be refining the scrappy stuff that I've done today . . .

Attachments

• peregrineport8.jpg
    peregrineport8.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 117
love the color work in this, really amazing, and you settled the composition nicely, with the horizontals...... one little thing , I'd like to see that foot settled in a bit more, at least in the photo it's a bit distracting, maybe because there is so much contrast there.
Your call of course, only my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back