• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2014 (2 Viewers)

29. Mealy Redpoll

At last!

I really don't know what happened to them but on December 31st I had 20+ Lesser Redpoll and 3 Mealy Redpoll. New years day brought just 6 Lesser Redpoll and then nothing since. Really unusual to be Redpoll free in the winter in my garden, anyway.......

They are back. A large flock just arrived which includes 25+ Lessers and 2 Mealys. Probably the same group that were visiting pre New Year, wonder where they have been.

Check out your Lessers....you may have a few more "Brown" contrasting rumped Meally types than you realise! I have a grey classic Meally, also bigger/smaller browner types with rumps pink/grey/tan and white.

What do Otters do in winter in Lithuania? Do they 'migrate'?

I think the appearance of one on my land was a cold weather movement, all lakes around have totally frozen over in last days. The relative density of Otters is not as high as in, for example, coastal Scotland, Norway, etc - I would suppose winter conditions may well be a limiting factor. I guess Otters move to the major rivers that tend to remain ice-free for much of the winter or even all of the winter most years. When they freeze up, I guess they just stick it out in their dens and go through lean times.

One of the biggest rivers in the country flows through Vilnius - these last days are seeing it gradually become a sea of ice and, with minus 20 and below forecast for the next week straight, I guess it'll be frozen solid fairly soon.

It's been a little sluggish here and can only add 39) Great Spotted Woodpecker but very pleased to report that the male Hen Harrier has been back and seen on two more days including today so I'm feeling very happy about that.

So far this year in my yard and to/from work:

American Crow
Great Blue Heron
Canada Goose
Northern Mockingbird
Mourning Dove
Dark-Eyed Junco
American Robin
Tufted Titmouse
Northern Cardinal
Carolina Wren
Eastern Bluebird
Carolina Chickadee
Chipping Sparrow
White-Breasted Nuthatch
Red-Headed Woodpecker
Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker
Red-Tailed Hawk
American Goldfinch
Pileated Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Blue Jay
Red-Winged Blackbird
Yellow-Rumped Warbler
Red-Shouldered Hawk

32. Fieldfare
I have finally drawn level with last year's January 1st total! A serious lack of garden birds this year so far.......

"A serious lack of garden birds this year so far......."

Not so here anymore - temperature this morning was minus 22 C and feeding station is absolutely heaving, birds like confetti flitting everywhere.

Two year birds - Goldfinch dropping into one of the feeders and Black Woodpecker (don't know how I managed to get almost to end of January without the latter, two reside and I normally see every day)

24. Black Woodpecker
25. Goldfinch

So cold here that the snow which fell a week or so back has frozen into wonderful crystalline sculptures, dislodging them as you walk leaves a musical tinkling as though thousands of little bells are playing your path

Attachments

• Snow Labanoras lab 1.jpg
    Snow Labanoras lab 1.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Snow Labanoras lab 2.jpg
    Snow Labanoras lab 2.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 72
So cold here that the snow which fell a week or so back has frozen into wonderful crystalline sculptures, dislodging them as you walk leaves a musical tinkling as though thousands of little bells are playing your path

Sounds like...''It'sno joke''....any truth in the rumour Jos..that ''your land'' will shortly secede from the federation, and become the ''fourth'' Baltic state? ;)

.... will shortly secede from the federation and become the ''fourth'' Baltic state? ;)

Think you would be expelled from these 'ere nations, there is no federation of Baltic States, there are all fully independent states. Except my little bit of course, that is British Overseas Territory ;)

Think you would be expelled from these 'ere nations, there is no federation of Baltic States, there are all fully independent states. Except my little bit of course, that is British Overseas Territory ;)

I hope you administer your BOT with the due diligence, that one might expect from such a privileged position. ;)

Now back down to earth...or should I say ''back up to sky,'' with a Grey Heron passing over abode this am, no.46.

cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back