• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2014 (2 Viewers)

Sunday night's snow and strong winds up here seems to have shaken a few birds out of the forest and within range of the garden:

28 Sparrowhawk
29 Crested Tit

So, I've now got two raptors on Joanne's 'Garden List 2014 Birds of Prey Mini-League'!

Photo for Ken of a Hawfinch in the garden last March, keep dreaming!

Richard

Attachments

• In the cherry tree.jpg
    In the cherry tree.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 70
Sunday night's snow and strong winds up here seems to have shaken a few birds out of the forest and within range of the garden:

28 Sparrowhawk
29 Crested Tit

So, I've now got two raptors on Joanne's 'Garden List 2014 Birds of Prey Mini-League'!

Photo for Ken of a Hawfinch in the garden last March, keep dreaming!

Richard

Fantastic shot Richard...can't compete there!...but I can here!...jaw-dropped then panicked, as I reached for the camera.

A very diurnal nocturnal!

Attachments

• Definitive Tawny Owl profile for web, Jan.28th '14 back garden..jpg
    Definitive Tawny Owl profile for web, Jan.28th '14 back garden..jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 67
1 American Crow
2 Western Red Tailed Hawk
3 Ruby Crowned Kinglet
4 Golden Crowned Kinglet
5 Black Capped Chickadee
6 Anna's Hummingbird
6 Pileated Woodpecker
7 Harried Woodpecker
8 Ferral Pigeon

Ken's Tawny made me 'owl with jealousy!

Three good ones added in the last couple of days, unfortunately I realised I'd counted Common Buzzard twice, so the 15 Crossbills this morning replace the duplication, the other two are:

30 Willow Tit
31 Golden Eagle

Richard

Ken's Tawny made me 'owl with jealousy!

Three good ones added in the last couple of days, unfortunately I realised I'd counted Common Buzzard twice, so the 15 Crossbills this morning replace the duplication, the other two are:

30 Willow Tit
31 Golden Eagle

Richard

Wow!...Why do I sense that you could be a ''contender''....I had hoped it would make you Gr-owl with envy so much...that you might throw in the T-owl!

Considering I live 20 yards north of the beach and 20 yards south of the local park, you'd think I would be inundated, but also live half a mile from the town centre... This is my 'birds seen from my kitchen table' list:

1. Wood Pigeon
2. Collared Dove
3. Feral Pigeon
4. Black-headed Gull
5. Herring Gull
6. Carrion Crow
7. Blue Tit
8. Great Tit
9. Robin
10. Starling
11. House Sparrow
12. Chaffinch (once)
13. Goldfinch (twice)
14. Sparrowhawk (once)
15. Dunnock
16. Blackbird

Minus 20 C continuing, plus windy ( a little unusual), taking it to minus 29 wind chill. The kitchen window Hawfinch (a female) has gone double today, a male also present.

Better though, the continuing House Sparrow - from autumn, daily till today (till this individual, two sole records of one day birds). Haven't seen the hybrids on a while though.

30. Grey Heron checking out the flooded gardens in our close.

Not added to my list but a change of Sparrowhawks this morning..... always the male that visits here virtually everyday, however a female this morning.

Circa 26 Redpoll, to include 2 Mealy (a site record for cabaret and flammea) this am, 5 Siskin, 1 Goldfinch also singing Song Thrush, roosting Tawny Owl being ''squawked'' by Jays and a flyover Legret ''kissing'' my tallest conifer before landing on a distant neighbour's Oak tree. Proving that...even on a cold damp grey day, the Sun can shine.

Bitter cold wind blasting today, no additions, but a short ringing session at me feeding station did net two White-backed Woodpeckers and a Grey-headed Woodpecker, all retraps it has to be said.

Pretty icy here too (see my Holmfirth thread) & a gale yesterday. Strong winds still but a little less cold today. Plenty of movement - including another Goosander scudding down the valley.

Large gulls included a flock of

Great Black-Backs: 45.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back