• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2023 (1 Viewer)

Coal Tits had record-breaking migrations this autumn. But not in my garden...

And I haven't seen anything else new, but my October total in Kotka's garden was 22 species. 4 more than September. For November I don't expect to see a similar increase. Even I'm working in home now.

The final number of species in the Pori's garden remained 41.

Some went to Pakistan (although that's from February this year):

No big flights in the past week or so, but I did have a little burst of activity back on the 4th. While working outside mid-morning, I was surprised to see a

130. Hermit Thrush (new yard species #141)

fly to a neighbor's yard, eventually picking up and heading SE. It sure looked out of place in the desert. Not long after, I enjoyed long scope views at the first "Gray-headed" Dark-eyed Junco for the yard.

Good stuff BM! Here it’s been rain, rain and more rain for nearly 3 weeks now but it was a bit colder overnight it would appear, here’s the scene at dawn ( no Yeti footprints though ;)) The first snowplough lorry of the winter just passed so I suppose the Chiffchaff on 3 November will be the last here for 2023, Yellowhammer numbers up to around 40 so still on the lookout for their exotic cousins🤞

Attachments

• IMG_1887.jpeg
    IMG_1887.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 4
A sign of wearying perhaps, or post vacation blues also…I was on the dog and bone yesterday, when no.84 flew past the window….Pied Wagtail 😮

Last edited:
A sign of wearying perhaps, or post vacation blues also…I was on the dog and bone yesterday, when no.84 flew past the window….Pied Wagtail 😮
Ken, I'll see you, and raise you one, as I believe the poker players say:cool:.
Two for the year in the space of 90 minutes this chilly morning, Storm Frederico blasted through here overnight, leaving new snow down to about 1300m and cold air behind him. This is the sort of event that brought me the Pine Bunting almost exactly four years ago, so I was scrutinising all the Yellowhammers extra carefully earlier. The tits and finches emptied the feeders in more of a hurry than usual so I ventured out in the sleet to top them up. With both hands occupied with sunflower container and feeder what do I hear on the wind? "Chaaar", no, can't be - "chaar" - "zut alors" (insert stronger expletive here ;) ) Yesss, a garden life mega, number 114, floppy flapping high overhead heading towards the cloud covered mountain up the valley with two Alpine Chough following 100m behind. The AC did a prompt u-turn, heading back down and a couple of minutes later so did the Red-billed, calling once again. Then c30 Crossbill zipped past, the biggest flock this year for me. It's all happening I thought, so I got the camera and 'scope out and had my coffee outside. Half an hour later the Chough announced its presence once again and kindly did a lower fly past and tight turn directly overhead before bravely going back up towards the snow and cloud, the light was not helpful but you get the picture I hope!
To really spoil me, the dung heap I regularly scope in winter finally came good when the Grey Wagtail finally paid it a visit, this is a regular occurrence in the cold season, though I suspect it's more the high level of the streams after the recent deluges that's causing it to wander away from the water to feed at the moment.

87 Red-billed Chough
88 Grey Wagtail

Attachments

• Crave 17 nov 23.jpg
    Crave 17 nov 23.jpg
    715.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Crave 17.11.23.jpg
    Crave 17.11.23.jpg
    824.5 KB · Views: 7
Ken, I'll see you, and raise you one, as I believe the poker players say:cool:.
Two for the year in the space of 90 minutes this chilly morning, Storm Frederico blasted through here overnight, leaving new snow down to about 1300m and cold air behind him. This is the sort of event that brought me the Pine Bunting almost exactly four years ago, so I was scrutinising all the Yellowhammers extra carefully earlier. The tits and finches emptied the feeders in more of a hurry than usual so I ventured out in the sleet to top them up. With both hands occupied with sunflower container and feeder what do I hear on the wind? "Chaaar", no, can't be - "chaar" - "zut alors" (insert stronger expletive here ;) ) Yesss, a garden life mega, number 114, floppy flapping high overhead heading towards the cloud covered mountain up the valley with two Alpine Chough following 100m behind. The AC did a prompt u-turn, heading back down and a couple of minutes later so did the Red-billed, calling once again. Then c30 Crossbill zipped past, the biggest flock this year for me. It's all happening I thought, so I got the camera and 'scope out and had my coffee outside. Half an hour later the Chough announced its presence once again and kindly did a lower fly past and tight turn directly overhead before bravely going back up towards the snow and cloud, the light was not helpful but you get the picture I hope!
To really spoil me, the dung heap I regularly scope in winter finally came good when the Grey Wagtail finally paid it a visit, this is a regular occurrence in the cold season, though I suspect it's more the high level of the streams after the recent deluges that's causing it to wander away from the water to feed at the moment.

87 Red-billed Chough
88 Grey Wagtail
Congrats for garden lifer! RbC would be just a lifer for me... (AC's I have seen in Germany)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back