• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2024 (4 Viewers)

Saint Sixt (more precisely the former ski station at Orange), above La Roche sur Foron at 1100m, it was quite a celebrity and several birders came to twitch it. It lived to be a good age too. My theory was that it had got trapped in an Italian lorry and flew off when it arrived nearby (there's a transport company in La Roche that does International freight work). My other claim to fame whilst there was finding a Great Snipe one March morning in the fields above the house (so it didn't quite get on the garden list). Only one person (Mike (Bittern on Birdforum)) was quick enough to come and twitch it before the snow set in.
The patron saint of Car Hire?

This forum is certainly a mine of interesting information.

March 19th
57. Goosander
- a female flew SE early evening

Depite there being small numbers on the two ponds either end of town I think this is just the third time in seven years I have had one passing over here.

There were up to 17 on my main lake c1.4 miles to the North of me Nov-Feb, all gone now! and I never saw one. 😩

Succumbed to the pillow this morning, so was out about an hour later than planned.

No worries, as I heard #64 Green Woodpecker after just a few minutes. I had difficulty in believing it, as it’s my first in nearly 10 months - a bird that I used to record pretty well every month except June, for some reason. Fortunately Merlin was on the ball.

IMG_1183.jpeg

Last year they disappeared in June, as usual, but never returned! The same has happened with Mistle Thrush, just don’t know what’s happened to them.

IMG_1184.jpeg

Later in the morning the bird had moved to the other side of the cricket pitch behind the garden. Hopefully it will return, and be more than a one day wonder.

As I lie in bed typing this a Tawny Owl is hooting by the bedroom window.

Last edited:
A Full House of thrushes for me this morning, the usual Song and Mistle Thrush and Blackbird dawn chorus is now accompanied by (the less musically pleasing to the ear) Fieldfare, a pair nesting just down the road from the house. But better still, a Redwing was alarm calling from the Elm tree, this was after I'd been watching Tetley the Black Grouse prancing about in a clearing on Sulens. Suddenly what I took to be a a Blackbird landed next to him, strange to see one right up there at 1700m alt, oops, then four more on the snow above the tree line, not Blackbirds but Ring Ousel, silly me! Typical dates for both these last two, though Redwing is only a couple of times a year bird for us here.

58 Ring Ousel
59 Redwing

A song outside my window this afternoon drifted through my ears unnoticed for several minutes before it registered that this wasn't the local Curve-billed Thrashers (which are feeding young now). It was my first

42. Northern Mockingbird

of the year here, a brief and sudden performance just like last year's first one of March.

Yes, I just need to wait for the Rock Thrush to hopefully be visible when it does its display flights on the mountain next month to complete the set (unless Ken gives me some cast iron guaranteed successful tips to tempt in a Naumann’s ;) )!

…..A flock of accompanying Redwings as playmates might help Richard.😉

60 up and not the expected (normally in March) Serin or Firecrest. With my wife resting in prep for her night shift later I did some early morning gardening (enabling me to hear a Middle Spotted Woodpecker call, they've been very discreet lately) then set up the 'scope behind the house(see photo of the 'migration watchpoint' ;) at 09h00 to do some vis-migging. By 10h15 I hadn't seen a single migrating bird so was contenting myself watching the Common Buzzards displaying in every direction I looked. Then a reward arrived gliding high northwards over Sulens (the Christmas pudding shaped mountain in the pic):

60 Short-toed Snake Eagle

I lost it while getting the camera fired up, found it had already flown directly overhead and then my new toy had trouble focusing on such a tricky target drifting N in a 'mur à mur bleu':cool:. 'tis a poor workman that blames his tools ' I know.....
To my surprise when it started circling to gain even more height I realised it was not alone, by the size difference it seemed they were a pair, presumably heading to Switzerland to breed. Previous earliest here was 5 April but they've been reported in nearby Savoie already so yet another sign of these climate disturbed times.

Attachments

• C J.jpg
    C J.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 14
  • viewpoint.jpg
    viewpoint.jpg
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back