• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2024 (8 Viewers)

#65 Rock Pipit (probably, though might not be able to rule out Water Pipit) flew over the garden this lunchtime. Called 3x.

When I first claimed Rock Pipit I got into trouble with some localish birders. Water Pipit is more likely around here, in certain habitats, though I’ve certainly had Rock Pipit on the deck in some nearby fields.

I think I had my ‘London head’ on when I first recorded them. On my old patch, Walthamstow Reservoirs, Rock Pipit was much more likely than Water Pipit.

Around here, especially in winter, Water Pipit is more likely around wet areas. As a flyover on migration, all bets are off.

Anyhow, today’s bird sounded (when compared on Xeno-Canto) more like a Rock Pipit. I’m unlikely ever to see either on the deck here, so I only count one species Rock/Water Pipit.

Red Kite, Kingfisher, singing Siskins and Grey Wagtails were the best of the rest today.

This morning the Tree Fellers (actually 4) returned to the garden. An Ash tree with die-back, was for the chop. We’ve lost a lot of trees in and around the garden lately, but I’m trying to see change as a good thing rather than bad - it’s the only thing that keeps me sane. 🤪

View attachment IMG_1202.mov

Sat out on the verandah after dark this evening - a positive racket of Lapwings in full voice, a Snipe a few times and the cronking of Grey Herons ...but best of all, the haunting booms of the first Bittern of the season echoing across from a lake a kilometre or so distant. Hopefully mine will be back these next days too ...

72. Bittern

A cloudy morning here didn't prevent a couple of new visitors from showing up after good overnight migration. I also had some really nice looks at Ladder-backed Woodpeckers, which tend to be more shy than the Gila Woodpeckers and Gilded Flickers.

43. Ladder-backed Woodpecker
44. Rufous-winged Sparrow (singing)
45. Brown-headed Cowbird (new arrivals)

A female Northern Cardinal wasn't rare at all, but I hear them in the neighbors' properties more than I see them here.

Attachments

• LBWO_3:23:24.JPG
    LBWO_3:23:24.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 6
  • NOCA_3:23:24.JPG
    NOCA_3:23:24.JPG
    8.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Last Thursday, while arriving home with my wife after work, I saw the first (XXIII) Serin of the year. Today joined by some newly arriving (XXIV) Black Redstarts.

Next week, we'll be off to France for the long Easter weekend, hoping to increase the year list for our property there a bit. Apparently, it has rained quite a bit, and all is rather wet. Normally, then we see actually less birds around our ponds, since they have plenty of other places to go. But, I guess we'll find out and I will for sure see some spring arrivals there too! :D

(17 March)

... a flock of 34 Wigeon (near annual bird on my land, but never had more than eight together before).

After being impressed with 34, an even bigger movement today - no less than 90 rather musical Wigeon in a flock today!

Was actually a big wildfowl day overall - thousands of White-fronted and Bean Geese overhead the whole day (and the lingering two White-fronted Geese on the floodpool), plus my 4th ever Gadwall, four landing on the floodpool by my house. For good measure, my first Teal of the year too, plus the usual Mallards, a pair of Goosander and a Goldeneye.

73. Gadwall
74. Teal

Today, my 24th (foy) Red Kite over the house, certainly the most I’ve ever notched up for this species on this date in March.
Got me looking back at some of the highlights for the month, as April will soon be upon us!
Mostly bedroom window shots with pride of place going to one that “got away” Passer domesticus, how long might I have to wait for the next one?😢

Attachments

• DSC08501.jpeg     Mand.2..jpeg
    DSC08501.jpeg Mand.2..jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC08618.jpeg    Standard Morph.jpeg
    DSC08618.jpeg Standard Morph.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • DSC08836.jpeg   Another morph.jpeg
    DSC08836.jpeg Another morph.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC08673.jpeg      Buzby1..jpeg
    DSC08673.jpeg Buzby1..jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC07069.jpeg    Best Redwing group4..jpeg
    DSC07069.jpeg Best Redwing group4..jpeg
    660.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC06807.jpeg     Flying RNP2..jpeg
    DSC06807.jpeg Flying RNP2..jpeg
    488.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0373.jpeg
    IMG_0373.jpeg
    716.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC05539.jpeg   Lone Muntjac.jpeg
    DSC05539.jpeg Lone Muntjac.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 22
A day later than average, but my first singing #66 Blackcap in the garden this morning.
Strangely enough, our Blackcap has stopped singing this morning, I can't think why..................................
Yellowhammer numbers, which were running at around four per day recently, have grown to over 35 today, good job I bought some bird food yesterday. I am on maximum Citril alert in these conditions....

Attachments

• DSCN1055.JPG
    DSCN1055.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCN1060.JPG
    DSCN1060.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCN1069.JPG
    DSCN1069.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
44. Buzzard - courtesy of a long session giving the buddleia its severe annual haircut now that the small birds have less need of its seeds and before it grows even more and takes over the whole garden. My goodness I can see a lot more sky now....

John

Not that I realised it at the time until I checked but my first addition since a break away... Snap.

38. Buzzard

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Buzzard 001.jpg
    Buzzard 001.jpg
    733.3 KB · Views: 2
Naturally as you look at this new categories come up and my garden list of 104 spp breaks down as follows:

In the garden or in a narrow definition of garden airspace: 44% (46 spp)

Outside the garden on the deck or perched: 14% (14 spp)

Flyover: 40% (42 spp)

Call: 2% (2 spp: Common Scoter and Spotted Redshank)

The narrow definition of garden airspace means below the level of the roof or garden shrubs passing through the area defined by the fences: Kingfisher has achieved this several times.

Outside our garden includes along Cove Brook which is visible from the upper windows giving us Grey Heron, Little Egret, Mallard, Mute Swan, Snipe and Common Sandpiper on the deck. Perched birds include Spotted Flycatcher, Whinchat and Yellow-browed Warbler.

The flyovers include Great White Egret, Cuckoo, 9 species of raptor including Black Kite, Honey Buzzard and Merlin (but still missing Osprey) a presumably lost and baffled Barn Owl and a male Ring Ousel in a flock of migrating Fieldfares.

After overnight rain the sky is now clean blue and I'm thinking a cup of tea or succession thereof in the garden with bins and camera may mark out my morning.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back