• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2024 (3 Viewers)

I intended to get some birding done a little further afield today but a late night on last year's photos meant a day in and around home with a little birding on foot.

That did give me the pleasure of an exchange with a local dogwalker who took exception to the fact that I shouted out of my window for them to keep their dog under control as it was taking a dump in my front garden. A short piece of cross-examination later led to an acceptance that it was not appropriate for someone else's dog to cr@p in your garden but apparently, not a concession as to lack of control.

I was then informed that I was not a nice person (possibly true), it was not the dog's fault (I never contended that it was), the owner was a teacher (interesting but not relevant). I should not shout as I did not know the individual was going through a hard time in their personal life (raising my voice was persuading the dog not to carry on with its toilet activities) and my garden did not look like a garden (it is a more wildlife friendly area but very obviously my front garden). Maybe I should have gone to Slimbridge or Wales after all.... :)

Any way, whilst looking out of the window and either side of this fascinating insight into self-delusion and a failure to accept responsibility for a lapse of appropriate dog ownership, the following species were added:-

27​
Raven
13-Jan-24​
28​
Greenfinch
13-Jan-24​
29​
Mallard
13-Jan-24​
30​
Goosander
13-Jan-24​
31​
Grey Wagtail
13-Jan-24​

The Great White Egret gave a nice close flyover.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• A Great White Egret 001.jpg
    A Great White Egret 001.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Yesterday morning I noticed a pale heron like shape flying by. I was hoping for an Egret, but it was just a Gray Herron. However, while scanning the sky I realized there were two (XIII) Red Kites in the distance. Later in the morning there was a tiny (XIV) Wrenn sitting in the Apple Tree. Last year I had to wait until October to see one, so this is a nice one :D

I realized yesterday that I have a reasonable unobstructed view of the nearby forest from the bedroom window of my youngest sons' room. Unfortunately, most of the time the path from the door into the room to the window is generally anything but unobstructed.....

Regardless, yesterday spend some time with the bins at abovementioned window and noticed a rather pale (XV) Buzzard. I also saw a (XVI) Feral Pigeon, which seem to be quite a bit less prevalent than 10 or so years ago. Not sure whether that correlates with an increase in certain raptors, or if there are more complex underlying reasons.

In afternoon, I saw two Wood Pigeons courting on a branch in a tree in front of our house. They spend about 10 minutes courting, and then proceeded to mate. Now we indeed had the first sun of the year during that brief period, but it has been freezing for over a week, and there is still snow on the ground. So, to me it seems they are very early.

Did anyone else already in the Northern Hemisphere with winter season already see courting and mating birds?

I realized yesterday that I have a reasonable unobstructed view of the nearby forest from the bedroom window of my youngest sons' room. Unfortunately, most of the time the path from the door into the room to the window is generally anything but unobstructed.....

In afternoon, I saw two Wood Pigeons courting on a branch in a tree in front of our house. They spend about 10 minutes courting, and then proceeded to mate. Now we indeed had the first sun of the year during that brief period, but it has been freezing for over a week, and there is still snow on the ground. So, to me it seems they are very early.

Did anyone else already in the Northern Hemisphere with winter season already see courting and mating birds?

You have some rugged walking boots or similar? ;-)

Wood Pigeon are one species known to breed (ie lay eggs) in every month of the year, so perhaps not that unusual - although most probably follow a more normal breeding season pattern. Interesting though.

Noticed a lot more birdsong when out yesterday, and had forgotten, but heard Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming last week. But they mostly won't be 'breeding' yet for a while ...

Was out most of the day yesterday - got back about 4:30 and went to the back garden for a quick 5 minutes before going into the house. Movement in the ivy behind the house eventually resolved into

22. Song Thrush
23. Redwing

Was a bit worried no berries left for Redwing, but still there ...

(As an aside - finally seen a normal Chiffchaff for the year. Unfortunately someone else pointed it out to me before I could see it first for myself! Was from the hide at Stithians hopping about in the grass by the feeders.)

Regardless, yesterday spend some time with the bins at abovementioned window and noticed a rather pale (XV) Buzzard. I also saw a (XVI) Feral Pigeon, which seem to be quite a bit less prevalent than 10 or so years ago. Not sure whether that correlates with an increase in certain raptors, or if there are more complex underlying reasons.

Woodpigeons here too, also Stock Doves.

Nothing new for me yesterday (and after a very late night I’m only just now about to go and have a wander in the garden).

However yesterday did spot a Fox hunting in the back garden, as seen through the back fence.

I keep losing count of how many times I’ve seen Fox in the garden, but I’m pretty sure it’s just 6 times in 6 1/2 years. Ironic as they have a den in the scrub. Strictly nocturnal around these parts. Given it was hunting at midday, I wonder if there cubs to be fed?

IMG_0572.jpeg

View attachment IMG_0573.mov

#48 Skylark this morning. Two flew high over the garden going West. I presume in advance of the (even) colder weather to come. I’m hopeful that some more movement will be evident in the next week or so, may as well get some benefit from freezing our socks off.

To my surprise, these were the first Skylarks I’ve ever had in January. (74 species in total recorded in Jan.)

This afternoon I inadvertently flushed a pair of Teal from the garden, not a year tick, but the first in the garden this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back