• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2024 (2 Viewers)

Circa 30 Fieldfare very low just over canopy this am SSW, probably my largest flock “ever” from the house.
Too quick for me to image, however an image taken on Tuesday from Chingford Plain c1mile away, might be of interest?
The now seemingly daily “displaying” Sprawk over the house…several times this am, with c25 Redwing briefly alighting in my “magic tree” before suddenly taking flight, just managing to image one.😊
Not forgetting, the returning to roost female Brambling, for its 9th consecutive visit this evening.😮 Fieldfare apart, the cold snap did not live up to the hoped for Bonanza…time will tell.

Attachments

• DSC01701.jpeg    Sprawk1..jpeg
    DSC01701.jpeg Sprawk1..jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC01978.jpeg      FF1..jpeg
    DSC01978.jpeg FF1..jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC03384.jpeg  Redwing coming on..jpeg
    DSC03384.jpeg Redwing coming on..jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9724.jpeg
    IMG_9724.jpeg
    689.8 KB · Views: 12
Snow on the ground, and it freezing 10 degrees yesterday enticed some (XVII) Treesparrows to the feeders. I hear them quite often around the forest edge, but this was a first for the garden.
We had the same temperatures as you Frank, but much milder today and joining in with the calling Great and Coal Tit just now was a somewhat overdue

43 Willow Tit

not a single visit to the feeders by this species all winter so at least I now know they’re still around :)

Update from Aberdeen's Glittering West End...

26 - Starling - an ommission from the other day
27 - Stock dove - two over the city centre this morning. One I thought might be hard, but actually these are the second I've had (after one went over with woodpigeons when I was 10 yards down the road...)

I had an summer holiday at last week. I spend it on island in Southern seas - at least from my point of view.

Utö is Finland's southernmost island with a permanent population. We saw some really nice species from our lodge: Long-tailed Duck, Black Guillemot, Razorbill, Purple Sandpiper, Arctic Redpoll, Merlin and Rough-legged Buzzard among other things. Photo is from our window.

Sadly I can't count those birds for my garden list, but yesterday I manage to see one new species from my "office" window:

#18 Greenfinch - 3/2

20240118_100858.jpg

Working on the laptop this morning, with my bins by my side, just in case. So busy that I didn’t think to look out of the window, until I got up to cook Mrs. BH some brunch…Two chunky things sat on top of a Silver Birch, one flew off, but the other remained, it had a crest!

#52 Waxwing. They were about for 20 minutes and I managed a quick couple of photos through the kitchen window. Don’t know how long they may have been there before I spotted them.

IMG_0627.jpeg IMG_0633.jpeg

Popped out after brunch but no sign of them. A couple of Redwings over momentarily got my pulse going. Hopefully more to come in this invasion year.

Working on the laptop this morning, with my bins by my side, just in case. So busy that I didn’t think to look out of the window, until I got up to cook Mrs. BH some brunch…Two chunky things sat on top of a Silver Birch, one flew off, but the other remained, it had a crest!

#52 Waxwing. They were about for 20 minutes and I managed a quick couple of photos through the kitchen window. Don’t know how long they may have been there before I spotted them.

View attachment 1555638 View attachment 1555639

Popped out after brunch but no sign of them. A couple of Redwings over momentarily got my pulse going. Hopefully more to come in this invasion year.
Nice one, had a flock of 95 from my window a couple of days ago ... wrong window unfortunately, my Vilnius flat, not my Labanoras where I do my listing.

Mabe Burnthouse

35. Linnet
January 24th:

36. Grey Heron

Was on the phone earlier when saw one fly low over out of the living room window being mobbed by Jackdaws. Bit bizarrely saw one nearby in a tussocky field above the res when walking back from Asda, don't see them in fields much in the UK usually. Reasonable chance same one.

Still a few Redwing out the back, Song Thrush prominent, lots of bird song and 2 Dunnocks chasing each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back