• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello, new to birdwatching in the garden (1 Viewer)

codirosso

Switzerland
I installed a bird feeder in the garden. Surprisingly, I took good pictures with an almost 20-year-old camera, the Panasonic FZ50. A Great Tit and a Sparrow (am I correct?) are my pictures so far. They are cute little creatures, ravenous and very shy. I read they should be nesting now, if I am correct.... I used the Merlin app. This latter one is a beautiful innovation that opened up a new world for me.

Attachments

• Great Tit - Cinciallegra.jpg
    Great Tit - Cinciallegra.jpg
    636.9 KB · Views: 53
  • passero - sparrow.jpg
    passero - sparrow.jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 53
Hello Codirosso,

welcome to Birdforum!

Yes, the left bird is a Great Tit.

Your right picture is a bit more diffcult, at least for me.
The left bird is no Tree Sparrow. Please note
  • Bold white bar on the median coverts and a buffier stripe on the greater coverts. More two similar stripes in a Tree Sparrow
  • Many Tree Sparrows have a deeper rufous brown back, the buffish tinge is better for a House Sparrow
But is it really a House Sparrow? There is a similar form, the Italien Sparrow. Its cloesely related to this species and hybride/intermediate birds occur in the Suisse.

The right bird is such an Italien Sparrow: The following features are good against House Sparrow
  • Brownish crown, nearly lacking grey (grey should be visible in the left bird too, if this is a pure House Sparrow. So the legt bird is either an Italien Sparrow, an intermediäre bird or a rare House Sparrow with reduced grey in the crown)
  • deeper brown colour of the cap, but its so variable in House Sparrow. I have seen similar House Sparow in N and NE Germany.
  • Whiter cheeks, contrasting with the greyer belly
What an interesting observation. You may well report it here. If you dont knnow this site, it might well be interesting to dig deeper and report your observations here Le Moineau domestique au sud de Bellinzone

More about Italien Sparrow

Welcome to Birdforum again!

Hi codirosso and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Alexander has given you some excellent information about the Italian Sparrow v House Sparrow and hybrids etc . I think I'll move your post to the ID Forum in case they have anything extra they can add.

You can read more about this complex in our Opus articles: Italian Sparrow - BirdForum Opus

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hello Codirosso,

welcome to Birdforum!

Yes, the left bird is a Great Tit.

Your right picture is a bit more diffcult, at least for me.
The left bird is no Tree Sparrow. Please note
  • Bold white bar on the median coverts and a buffier stripe on the greater coverts. More two similar stripes in a Tree Sparrow
  • Many Tree Sparrows have a deeper rufous brown back, the buffish tinge is better for a House Sparrow
But is it really a House Sparrow? There is a similar form, the Italien Sparrow. Its cloesely related to this species and hybride/intermediate birds occur in the Suisse.

The right bird is such an Italien Sparrow: The following features are good against House Sparrow
  • Brownish crown, nearly lacking grey (grey should be visible in the left bird too, if this is a pure House Sparrow. So the legt bird is either an Italien Sparrow, an intermediäre bird or a rare House Sparrow with reduced grey in the crown)
  • deeper brown colour of the cap, but its so variable in House Sparrow. I have seen similar House Sparow in N and NE Germany.
  • Whiter cheeks, contrasting with the greyer belly
What an interesting observation. You may well report it here. If you dont knnow this site, it might well be interesting to dig deeper and report your observations here Le Moineau domestique au sud de Bellinzone

More about Italien Sparrow

Welcome to Birdforum again!
Thank you, Alexander. It's impressive that so much investigation is involved. In short, I checked the websites and a book I found, and yes, I was glad to slowly follow through with your reasoning and other's reasoning, too. So, this is an Italian Sparrow ("passera d'Italia", in the book). There are different (at least five ?) types of sparrows apparently: Passera oltremontana (ultramontane Sparrow?), Italian Sparrow, Spanish Sparrow, Tree Sparrow, and Rock Sparrow, which in turn are grouped into four types (or species): Passer domesticus, Passer hispaniolensis, Passer Montanus, Petronia petronia. The book is by Francesco Mezzatesta with illustrations by Lorenzo Dotti; Mondadori Edition (1990)

Attachments

• copertina libro Francesco Mezzatesta.jpg
    copertina libro Francesco Mezzatesta.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 7
  • Passeri 2b.jpg
    Passeri 2b.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 8
  • Passeri 3.jpg
    Passeri 3.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 7
at least five ?

Yes, more than five if you include birds from outside Europe.

Your book classifies Italian Sparrow as a subspecies of Passer domesticus, whereas in other places (including the Opus entry that Delia linked above) it would be regarded as a full species Passer italiae. What your book calls Passera oltremontana is usually referred to as the House Sparrow Passer domesticus.

Yes, more than five if you include birds from outside Europe.

Your book classifies Italian Sparrow as a subspecies of Passer domesticus, whereas in other places (including the Opus entry that Delia linked above) it would be regarded as a full species Passer italiae. What your book calls Passera oltremontana is usually referred to as the House Sparrow Passer domesticus.
Let's be honest, it's one of those cases in speciation where it could be considered either depending on where the line is drawn. No doubt hybrid beginnings are no great rarity in the history of evolution. Italian Sparrow seems to be a case in which they seem stable in some areas but less so in others.

Let's be honest, it's one of those cases in speciation where it could be considered either depending on where the line is drawn. No doubt hybrid beginnings are no great rarity in the history of evolution. Italian Sparrow seems to be a case in which they seem stable in some areas but less so in others.

True enough, but I was really addressing the tangle of naming brought up by the OP's book and what the heck an Ultramontane Sparrow is, rather than expressing an opinion on which interpretation is correct. Which I'm not qualified to do. Though at least in this case we're looking at forms which are distinguishable in the field by us mortals, at least to an extent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back