• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2015 List Going? (8 Viewers)

Brutally hot here since early July so have done hardly any birding. A quick look at a local pond this morning turned up:
290 Stilt Sandpiper
291 Solitary Sandpiper
292 Pectoral Sandpiper

Jeff

UK list was 130 at the end of July, with only 3 lifers among that lot. Last weekend's trip to Cannock Chase via the very co-operative red-footed falcon nearby left me at 133 with 5 lifers. My current Norfolk trip is going pretty well, but I haven't started adding up yet...
131 Red-footed Falcon
132 Black Redstart
133 Nightjar
The nightjars made up for a probable last year that I ended up deciding I hadn't seen well enough to be sure.

Some Orange County birding this weekend:

349. Reddish Egret - 5 individuals at Bolsa Chica!
350. Ridgway's Rail - first ever seen - heard and counted in past years, not a lifer per se, but pretty damn close

This has not been "a Banner Year" for me [due of health issues] in regards to building a 2015 Missouri Bird List, but ... I did manage to add an entry today:
167. White-winged Dove, St. Joseph, Missouri Stockyards (also home to Mourning Doves & Eurasian Collared-Doves)

A couple days in Maryland for a wedding, no "real" birding to be had, but:
351. Carolina Chickadee
352. Fish Crow

147. Cooper’s Hawk
148. green heron

The Cooper's was a little early for the area, but it was too big for sharpie and I could not "make it into" something else

5 days in Norfolk and south Lincolnshire added 11 species to the year list, 3 of them lifers. Total now 144. Also saw a barnacle goose but didn't count it as I tend to assume lone birds are escapes. Highlight was definitely Titchwell - finally caught up with bearded tit, a long-time bogey species, decided to hang around to try to get a better view, and ended up seeing 3 of them out in the open, while I was watching the white-rumped sandpiper that turned up while I was there. Two lifers from the same hide in one afternoon.

Backpacking trip in Jasper National Park in Alberta, Canada yielded some much desired lifers!

353. Black-billed Magpie
354. Swainson's Hawk
355. Clark's Nutcracker
356. Townsend's Solitaire (lifer)
357. American Dipper
358. Dusky Grouse (lifer)
359. Boreal Chickadee (lifer)
360. White-tailed Ptarmigan (lifer)

Way to go on the Ptarmigan, Alex! I am muchly gripped... have spent some weeks in western Canada (over various years) and have not even caught a whiff of ptarmigan (of any description).

Sunday, August 16:

69) Eastern Kingbird

Location: Amherst Island, Lake Ontario, Canada. Several individuals heard along the south shore of the island, during the 10-km "Wooly Bully" race.

Amherst Is. is a very famous spot, locally, for its owls and other predators in winter. Conditions are particularly good for Short-eared and Snowy thanks to the flat alvars, which are often blown clear of snow. There is also a wooded spot which is a go-to location for Long-eared, and gets the occasional Boreal.
Despite all this, I had never been there before last week - being at the far eastern end of Lake Ontario, it's just a bit too much of a drive for me. Of course, I wasn't hoping for owls at this time of year! but thought a Kestrel or Northern Harrier might be a possibility. However, it was pretty thin for birds at the time - aside from the Kingbird, all I got during the race was Indigo Bunting and a good number of D-C Cormorants.

Conditions: Horrendously hot! Fortunately, there was a fairly good breeze of the lake; nonetheless, starting such an event at 0945 on an August morning is way too late! Could barely finish this one...

Way to go on the Ptarmigan, Alex! I am muchly gripped... have spent some weeks in western Canada (over various years) and have not even caught a whiff of ptarmigan (of any description).

Thanks, Peter! It was quite a trek... we were really out in the middle of Grizzly country: a 50 mile, 5 day hiking/camping trip that looped around the Brazeau Lake area (southern edge of Jasper, started in Banff). On the last day we got hit with snow HARD. Soaking wet and freezing, hands numb, feet in boots that served as mobile puddles... It was only due to my brother's timely bathroom break that he scared up 4 of the white-winged, white-tailed beauties! I'd given up hope by Day 5, but there they were, 20 feet away. Got a nice long study - well, long enough for my hiking companions to complain about dawdling in the snow!

Seen right around Nigel Pass, just at the border of the two parks (Jasper/Banff).

Last edited:
Back in SoCal, last minute plans to jump on a weekday pelagic resulted in an absurd haul!

361. Pink-footed Shearwater
362. Red-necked Phalarope
363. Brown Booby
364. Pomarine Jaeger
365. Ashy Storm-Petrel (lifer)
366. Black Storm-Petrel
367. Buller's Shearwater (lifer)
368. Sabine's Gull (lifer)
369. Pigeon Guillemot (lifer)
370. Laysan Albatross (lifer)

A bit of a catch up Northumberland Caspian gull ,202 roseate tern 203 Scotland golden eagle 204 sea eagle 205 hooded crow 206 blacktoft sands spotted crake 207 Rutland water woodsand 208 frampton marsh curlew sand 209 black tern 210

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back