• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2015 List Going? (9 Viewers)

Early fall migrants, such as some ducks and warblers, are starting to trickle in. This morning I saw my first new bird for the year in well over a month. I picked up a warbler that I should have easily seen in the spring but which I somehow missed. I'm now at 221.

221. Cape May Warbler

Dave

It was quite a trek... we were really out in the middle of Grizzly country: a 50 mile, 5 day hiking/camping trip that looped around the Brazeau Lake area (southern edge of Jasper, started in Banff).

Ah. So, a non-trivial amount of effort required, then. That may explain why I've never seen one.

26 August

Saw a new lifer along the running trail!

Chevy Chase, MD, USA
178. Eastern Towhee (New Lifer)

31 August

Stayed in beautiful Annapolis, Maryland for a two day work "offsite" and got some good birding in. Seeing 20 for the day, 6 of which year-birds and 3 new lifers!

Annapolis Harbor, Annapolis, MD, USA
179. Green Heron (New Lifer)
180. Black Vulture (New Lifer)
181. Osprey
182. Laughing Gull (New Lifer)
183. Brown Thrasher
184. Chipping Sparrow

I am spending all of next week in Luxembourg and look forward to seeing some new or 2015 European birds there!

World life list: 440 (Laughing Gull, Annapolis, MD, USA; August 2015)
USA life list: 136 (Laughing Gull, Annapolis, MD, USA; August 2015)
2015 year list: 184 (Chipping Sparrow, Annapolis, MD, USA; August 2015)

This morning I chased a rare vagrant from the desert southwest. I found my target, which puts me at 223 for the year. It was also a state lifer (number 251).

223. White-winged Dove

The dove has been coming to a feeder at a private residence. Although the homeowner is an experienced birder, it took him a couple of days to realize that it was something rare and not a partially leucistic Mourning Dove.

Dave

A new fall migrant this morning puts me at 224 for the year.

224. Bay-breasted Warbler

Last year I saw 223 species in West Virginia, which was a personal best. Today's bird breaks that record, and with fall migration ahead and over three months left in the year, I should be able to add at least ten more to this year's total.

Dave

I got to 148 by the end of August, with black tern the only additional lifer. This past Saturday was pretty good:
149 Cattle egret
150 Wryneck
151 Grey plover
152 Yellow-legged gull (UK tick, previously seen in Italy)
Then on Sunday I took my UK 2015 odonata list up to 27 with small red-eyed damselfly.

It's been a while since my last update in May. I've not been doing much birding since the end of my field season but I've picked up a few along the way, but most of them were back in June and all were in Sweden:

183. Western Osprey
184. Black-throated Diver
185. Brent Goose
186. Black-tailed Godwit
187. Common Rosefinch
188. Western Yellow Wagtail
189. European Nightjar
190. European Honey-buzzard
191. Willow Tit
192. Eurasian Reed Warbler
193. Sedge Warbler
194. Bluethroat
195. Rough-legged Buzzard
196. Taiga Bean Goose

Things should pick up again next week however, as I'll be heading to West Virginia for a conference and I'll have a few days at the end for birding. It'll be my first trip to the states so I'm looking forward to getting some of the common stuff there!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back