• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2015 List Going? (1 Viewer)

A cold front came through last night, bringing in lots of waterfowl, including two new birds for the year.

232. Black Scoter
233. Tundra Swan

Dave

Forgot to update from last month. Went to a small island of the Swedish coast back in mid October in hope of some Siberian migrants. Didn't get anything rare, but I did pick up a few year birds and a few Swedish lifers.

271. Black Grouse
272. Razorbill
273. Black Guillemot
274. Short-eared Owl
275. Purple Sandpiper
276. Jack Snipe
277. Red-throated Diver
278. Great Grey Shrike

176. pine siskin
177. rock pigeon
178. bonaparte’s gull
179. common loon
180. black-headed gull
the last was documented and a lifer for at least a dozen local birders

This evening at dusk I went into the woods behind my house, playing the tape of Barred Owl. Almost immediately one flew into a tree not far away, giving me great looks.

235. Barred Owl

This is a bird I should have seen by now. I've heard many this year, but I don't count heard-only birds.

Dave

181 hooded merganser
also had a nice fly by 30 sandhill cranes today
did not drive 1.5 hours to see whooping cranes (6)

184 gold-crowned kinglet
This gets me in the 100 club at eBird Nebraska. I have not used 184 birds to get in there, I only started eBird in June. I added some 10 spring birds as "incidental" observations.I doubt we have more than 500 eBirders in NE. I've met maybe 6 on the list I am looking at.

This is a bird I should have seen by now. I've heard many this year, but I don't count heard-only birds.

Last night I went to an owl banding station and picked up a new bird for the year.

234. Northern Saw-whet Owl

Obviously everyone's list is their own, just thought I'd pass along (as a former bander), that according to the ABA's "rules", we're not supposed to count birds post/during capture. That is, unless you watch it fly into the net.

I count 'em with an asterisk myself, similar to "heard-only" birds.

185 red-necked grebe
have only seen in Finland before, in summer plumage but a bit far for the first bird ( my friend made that ID)
this was seen close by and a clear medium grebe in winter plumage found by local birder 2 miles away so had to go

On November 10 I observed and photographed a bird that I identified as a Curlew Sandpiper. I hadn't reported it until I got opinions about the bird's identity from other birders, since this is a potential first state record. Most of those who looked at my pictures concurred about the identity, so I'm preparing a report for the state checklist committee and am posting it here as a new year bird.

236. Curlew Sandpiper

Dave

Obviously everyone's list is their own, just thought I'd pass along (as a former bander), that according to the ABA's "rules", we're not supposed to count birds post/during capture. That is, unless you watch it fly into the net.

I count 'em with an asterisk myself, similar to "heard-only" birds.

Hi Alex,

I'm aware of the "rule" and it's one I never really understood the rationale for. I know the bird is a temporary "captive", but it's a bird born and raised in the wild, and after banding (a 15-minute process), it will go on its way and continue to live its life in the wild. Not like it was born and raised in captivity. So for the purpose of my Year List, I count it.

Dave

I am a certified bird bander and I do count birds that are caught in our mist nests on my personal list. They are wild when they fly into the nets, they are wild when we document/process them and they are wild when we quickly release them.

One new bird this morning puts me at 237 for the year.

237. Red-throated Loon

I also saw Common Goldeneye in Preston County, giving me 199 species this year and breaking the record for the most species ever seen in the county in one year.

Dave

On November 10 I observed and photographed a bird that I identified as a Curlew Sandpiper. I hadn't reported it until I got opinions about the bird's identity from other birders, since this is a potential first state record. Most of those who looked at my pictures concurred about the identity, so I'm preparing a report for the state checklist committee and am posting it here as a new year bird.

236. Curlew Sandpiper

Dave

Badass! Well done! :t:

This morning on my way to work I stopped at a local farm that has a pond and open grassland. It often produces good birds and this morning was no exception. I picked up one new bird for the year which was also a state lifer (number 256) and the 200th species I've seen in Preston County this year.

238. Snow Bunting

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back