• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2016 List Going? (2 Viewers)

This evening I went out owling, with Northern Saw-whet Owl as my primary target. I did get a very brief and unsatisfying glimpse of the bird with my spotlight as it flew into thick hemlocks.

126. Northern Saw-whet Owl

It was a Preston County lifer, number 221.

Dave

I am taking a friend of mine out birding around by my local patch (the oxbow lakes region just south of St. Joseph, Missouri) tomorrow. I did a "pre-run" today and tallied 50 species. Five (5) of the species were new for my 2016 Missouri List. Franklin's Gull (20), Great Egret (3), American Avocet (18), Yellow-headed Blackbird (1 male bird) & Great-tailed Grackle (1).

* Hope we can get most (if not all) of these on tomorrow's run!

140 purple martin
141 Wilson’s Snipe
142 Yellow-headed blackbird
143 Greater Yellowlegs
144 Wilson’s Phalarope
145 Pectoral Sandpiper
146 long-billed dowitcher

shore birds are starting to show up

Last edited:
I was on 135 at the end of March, so 18 additions during the month. Which included my first real spring migrant, sand martin right at the end of the month.

Now 143 as the summer species slowly creep in. 136 with a willow warbler in my local park last week, then yesterday a productive day out in Oxford (Otmoor & Farmoor):

137. Goldcrest
138. Yellowhammer
139. Swallow
140. House martin
141. Grey wagtail
142. Yellow wagtail
143. Red-necked grebe

The yellow wagtail was a bit of an oddity. The actual first one was a "channel wagtail", which is a hybrid between the British subspecies and the subspecies known as "blue-headed" (if I've got my taxonomy right). So if the two subspecies were ever to be split, it would become a hybrid and I wouldn't be able to count it!

Edit: The red-necked grebe is coming nicely into summer plumage. Beautiful bird. Shame about the weather.

Attachments

• IMG_2073a.jpg
    IMG_2073a.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2083a.jpg
    IMG_2083a.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2093a.jpg
    IMG_2093a.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2095a.jpg
    IMG_2095a.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
10/4/16

126. Scaup
127. Blackcap
128. Green woodpecker
129. Willow warbler
130. Woodlark
131. Long eared owl
132. Avocet
133. Garganey
134. Cetti's warbler (1st Yorkshire)
135. Sedge warbler

Managed to finally get out and do some birding this year! Other than a couple of days in the UK at the start of January and my trip to Côte d'Ivoire, I've had very little chance to get out! Went to a few spots in Västmanland, some 2 hours west of Uppsala. Our main target was the Three-toed Woodpecker site at Hälleskogsbrännan, which was a nondescript patch of commercial forest until it burnt down in one of the largest forest fires in Sweden in the summer of 2014. It was almost immediately turned into a nature reserve, and the burning has attracted a huge density of Three-toed Woodpeckers, which was our main target. We must have heard at least 15 birds and saw 4. We called in at Frövisjön on the way back where we picked up a few waterbirds. In all I managed 3 Swedish lifers (Golden Eagle, and the two Grebes) as well as a bunch of year ticks, some of which I really should have seen in the first couple of days of the year!

229. Black Woodpecker
230. Meadow Pipit
231. Woodlark
232. Green Sandpiper
233. Black Grouse
234. Eurasian Three-toed Woodpecker
235. Rough-legged Buzzard
236. Golden Eagle
237. Common Gull
238. Slavonian Grebe
239. Tundra Bean Goose
240. White-tailed Eagle
241. Eurasian Curlew
242. Little Grebe
243. Western Osprey

On my way to work this morning I drove slowly along back roads through open fields and picked up a new bird for the year.

131. Vesper Sparrow

Then on my way home I stopped by a state park and picked up another new year bird.

132. Yellow-throated Warbler

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back