• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2016 List Going? (4 Viewers)

Visiting the UK right now and managed to get one new species down on the River Perry at Mytton, Shropshire

321. Common Kingfisher

It has been two and a half months since I've seen any new birds for the year. So today I tried to remedy that by going to the Ohio River in western West Virginia to chase a mega-rarity. I quickly found my target (the plover) as well as another unexpected bird. Both were not only new for the year, but were state lifers as well.

216. Piping Plover
217. Little Blue Heron

Dave

Last edited:
Rather pleased to have already surpassed my 2015 year list, in terms of total species.

With the addition of Black Tern on Monday (a lifer) and Whinchat today, my year total reached 222, surpassing last year's 221 and leaving me only 2 species short of my best year's total since I started keeping a list.

Individual country lists for the year:
UK: 140
Switzerland: 65
Spain: 112
Sweden: 23
Finland: 54

Shorebirds are starting to move through. I added two to my Year List this morning.

218. Sanderling
219. Stilt Sandpiper

Both are rare in West Virginia and the Sanderling was a state lifer (number 261).

Dave

I've been lucky the last two months to have a few more opportunities to go birding. Happy to see a lifer in San Francisco!

22 June

Heron's Head Park (San Francisco, CA)
72. Surf Scoter (New Lifer)
73. Snowy Egret
74. Black-bellied Plover
75. Killdeer
76. Western Gull
77. California Gull
78. White-crowned Sparrow

23 June

Chevy Chase, MD
79. Field Sparrow

24 June

C&O Canal, Fletcher's Cove, Washington DC
80. Black-crowned Night-Heron
81. Osprey C&O Canal--Fletcher's Cove (Fletcher's Boathouse) US-DC 24 Jun 2016
82. Gray Catbird C&O Canal--Fletcher's Cove (Fletcher's Boathouse) US-DC 24 Jun 2016
83. American Goldfinch C&O Canal--Fletcher's Cove (Fletcher's Boathouse) US-DC 24 Jun 2016

4 July

Chevy Chase, MD
84. Baltimore Oriole

World life list: 469 (Surf Scoter; Heron's Head Park, San Francisco, CA, USA; June 2016)
USA life list: 151 (Surf Scoter; Heron's Head Park, San Francisco, CA, USA; June 2016)
CA life list: 74 (Brown-headed Cowbird; Heron's Head Park, San Francisco, CA, USA; June 2016))
2016 year list: 84 (Baltimore Oriole, Chevy Chase, MD, USA; July 2016)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back