• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

January 1st joint Birdforum list (2021 edition) (1 Viewer)

Well the good news is that I'll be online for much more of the first of Jan than I was going to be...

Swindon's back into lockdown (or tier 4 as the politicians call it when they're trying to claim it isn't lockdown) from tonight and a lot of our local birding sites are over the border in Wiltshire which is in a lower tier so off limits. Annoying, but we're almost there with the vaccine so hopefully it won't be for too much longer.

Anyway, if we're going to get any sort of UK total we'll need lots of people doing local walks and what we lose in individual totals we get back through geographical diversity.

No lockdown here (yet) and I bird in rural areas where I almost never meet anyone, so, weather permitting, I’ll be out trying to see as much as I can.

Dave

Forecast rain all day and just 3 degrees here, so 67 degrees colder. Grief, you'll be two thirds of the way to boiling point, is that survivable?

That wasn't stated, so I can't assume someone would use that archaic non-standard nonsense if they hadn't said so. Assume international standards, unless otherwise specified ;)

That wasn't stated, so I can't assume someone would use that archaic non-standard nonsense if they hadn't said so. Assume international standards, unless otherwise specified ;)
There's also common sense (and it was obvious ;) ) ... and knowledge in that, for example, other parts of the world may just use different systems or ways of doing things.

Vive la difference!

Was going to do a list for tomorrow for flowering plants on 1st Jan whilst I was out and about, discovered it is already a thing -

Will probably do a thread on the topic for tomorrow (5 or 6 species in flower in the garden today, likely to go further afield tomorrow)

Happy New Year everyone. Hopefully 2021 will prove better than 2020.

so my morning list cleaning up the Hong Kong standards. 33 species in all.

first bird of 2021 heard: spotted dove seen: oriental magpie robin

common sandpiper
little ringed plover
kentish plover
little egret
great egret
grey heron
pacific reef egret
black kite
white-breasted waterhen
spotted dove
asian emerald dove
eurasian tree sparrow
olive-backed pipit
white wagtail (leucopsis)
red-whiskered bulbul aka crested
light-vented bulbul aka Chinese
oriental magpie robin
daurian redstart
yellow-bellied prinia
dusky warbler
yellow-browed warbler
common tailorbird
mountain tailorbird
chinese hwamei
japanese tit / cinereous tit hkbws
fork-tailed sunbird
swinhoe's whiteeye
long-tailed shrike
brown shrike
large-billed crow dipped on both of the resident collared crow and oriental magpie
black-collared starling
crested myna
scaly-breasted munia

As the dipper says let’s hope 2021 is a better year for everyone.
First bird of the New Year:-
Tawny owl
A freezing clear night with a bright full moon welcomes in the New Year here in S. W. Wales.

Sadly I was preoccupied with social commitments today, but I managed to make a quick trip to a wetland reserve this evening, along with a few around the city of Christchurch earlier today, to get a few for the New Zealand list!

In approximately chronological order:

1. House Sparrow
2. Kelp Gull
3. Song Thrush
4. European Greenfinch
5. Red-billed Gull
6. Feral Pigeon
7. European Goldfinch
8. Common Redpoll
9. Welcome Swallow
10. Common Starling
11. Common Blackbird
12. Silvereye
13. Swamp Harrier
14. Eurasian Skylark
15. Yellowhammer
16. Dunnock
17. Australasian Swamphen
18. Paradise Shelduck
19. New Zealand Bellbird
20. New Zealand Fantail
21. Canada Goose
22. Australasian Shoveler
23. Grey Teal
24. Mallard
25. Great Cormorant
26. Black Swan
27. Masked Lapwing
28. Australian Magpie
29. Royal Spoonbill
30. Common Chaffinch
31. Cape Barren Goose
32. New Zealand Scaup
33. Little Pied Cormorant
34. White-headed Stilt
35. New Zealand Pigeon

I tried for Little Owl at dusk but sadly no luck. With a full day available for birding I could have probably got to 60, but I reckon 35 isn’t too bad at all, with the only other obvious miss being Grey Gerygone.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back