• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2014 (1 Viewer)

A full day at s'Albufera today. 3 Yellow wagtails, about 20 House martins, a few Barn swallows, 60 Crag martin, Green, Common and Kentish plover, Dunlin, Golden plover, 20 Night heron, Water pipit, Greenshank. 7 Snipe, Spotted redshank, displaying Marsh harrier (a "must see") Osprey with a fish, Moustached warbler, high counts of Shoveler and Teal, Wigeon. A great day out much enjoyed. The migrants are on their way! Mike

Also saw the Golden eagle but this was originally an escape although it has been hanging around for years now. Just in case visiting birders see this monster bird and wonder what it is doing here. Still worth watching though, it's a wonderful sight. Mike

Also saw the Golden eagle but this was originally an escape although it has been hanging around for years now. Just in case visiting birders see this monster bird and wonder what it is doing here. Still worth watching though, it's a wonderful sight. Mike

Hi Mike, Birding at S'Albufera today 3/3 saw a Harris Hawk from Hide 10 Sa Roca presumably another escapee, been here for one month great birding.

Hi

I believe the Harris Hawk has been around for some time (at least 2 years) frequenting both s'Albufera and s'Albufereta.
Mike may be able to give more info.

Martin

Strong north winds are holding back migration but a Common swift has been seen. The Harris hawk has been around for quite some time and there are some good photos on the GOB site but I don't know any more than that. It does give a few heart-stopping moments until you realise what it is. Mike

A bit of migration with some more Yellow wagtails and four Common buzzard but it is all rather quiet at the moment. Mike

A note from Port de Soller on the NW coast where I have been for last three weeks. We have had an osprey here for last two days attempting to fish whilst being mobbed by the gulls. Also saw a pine marten last week on the Muleta early morning. Plenty of black redstarts around still, and not much else.
Last week's tremendous storm will no doubt have delayed things. Quite spectacular, I gather we were on national TV with recorded wind speed of 144 kph on the Alfabia ridge.

A query! I frequently find pine cones stripped down to the central core and wonder if anyone knows what animal does this. Only info on web relates to rats.

Good question! I often see stripped pine cones and wonder what has been at work. I suspect rats but I don't know. I will ask around and see if I can get an answer. Mike

almond rats

I recently read Selina Scott,s book on Majorca. Where in it she tells of her almond trees being stripped by what locals call almond rats. Apparently the latin name is Eliomys qurcinus gymnesicus. They are a type of Dormouse. I'm not sure but it could be these that are eating the pine cones?

Reading up on the Garden Dormouse it's diet seems to be mainly animal protein rather than vegetable - but they will eat fruit and nuts. Personally I've never seen one in the Balearics. I have, however, seen Black rats, which are very arboreal, building football sized nests in the trees.

Martin

I'm coming to the island on 6th.April,just for 6 days while my partner visits her sister in Switzerland(I don't fancy birding the middle of Zurich!). I'll be based near the Albufeira which I've visited before, but hope to get to some of the other areas - is there anyone else visiting about this time that would like some company ; I'm happy to share car hire costs?

Hi All

I arrive on Monday afternoon and will be there for a little over three weeks. I'll try to do a daily log, particularly for s'Albufera (where I'm staying) but I plan to spend a couple of days/nights up in the mountains near Lluch, when I'll be without e-mail access.

Have read various reports recently: wintering Buzzards, migrant Long-eared owl and one of a Great Spotted Cuckoo at a locality I can't find ("la zona de Rabaubeig").

I'll also be moth trapping so will report anything of interest.

Martin

Thanks Martin, I look forward to your reports and hopefully seeing you too. I was at s'Albufera today, one Great white egret, and then went to the tower but only saw one Black kite, the first this year I believe. I too tried to find Rabaubeig but drew a blank as well. I have never heard of it and neither has Google! Mike

Hi Mike

I think it might have been a typo as I've found some references to "zona de Rafaubeig" near Cala Figuera.

Best wishes

Martin

Last edited:
Hi All

I arrive on Monday afternoon and will be there for a little over three weeks. I'll try to do a daily log, particularly for s'Albufera (where I'm staying) but I plan to spend a couple of days/nights up in the mountains near Lluch, when I'll be without e-mail access.

Martin

Look forward to your updates Martin.Good Luck. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back