• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2014 (7 Viewers)

Hi Michael, yes I live just near Mondragó in Porto Petro. I would love to go around the Park with you when you are here. I am in Mallorca for the whole of April so contact me when you are coming and we can arrange to meet. I don't speak German I'm afraid but both our daughters lived in Germany and speak very well.. Mike

A walk along the south coast this morning was delightful in sunny calm weather, lots of Shag, also Cormorant, Common sandpiper and a Northern Gannet. No sign of any Shearwaters sadly. First migrants will be arriving any day now with Swallows and House Martins usually being the first in. Mike

Hi Michael, yes I live just near Mondragó in Porto Petro. I would love to go around the Park with you when you are here. I am in Mallorca for the whole of April so contact me when you are coming and we can arrange to meet. I don't speak German I'm afraid but both our daughters lived in Germany and speak very well.. Mike

Hi Mike, great! I will only have a day or so... Rest of my stay will be for business. Porto Petro? Nice place for Balearic Warbler, Short Toed Lark, and Thekla. I am not good at English common names... hope the birds I mentioned exist at all.

Looking forward to meeting you, Michael

Salobrar de Campos this afternoon, about 60 Crag martin, Osprey, 2 Marsh harrier, 25 Flamingos, Little stint and Dunlin. There was a report of a Slender-billed gull but I only saw Black-headed. I missed this one five times last year so maybe I will get lucky this year. Mike

Just a few words about Balearic warblers as many people had trouble connecting last year. Bóquer Valley is still very good for this species but patience is needed. The males sing from the low bushes from March until May and are easier to see during these months. Being a sylvia warbler they are real skulkers and often you just see the rear end disappearing under a bush, always very low. Another good place is Son Real Reserve just through Can Picafort which is not too far from Albufera. Balearic warblers are all over the Island mainly in the "garrigue" (low scrub) but can be difficult at times even at known sites. The rocks along from the Lighthouse at Porto Colom in the South-East seems one of the best places but it is a long trip from the North. The best part of the Bóquer Valley is about three-quarters of the way down the track towards the sea. Good luck to everyone visiting the Island this year, let me know if you have any target birds and I will try to help. Mike

Hi Mike

I've also had some great views in the Serra de Llevant, from the path leading from the car park towards the beach, although it's a bit of a hike (especially on the way back!). Some spectacular views of unspoilt Mallorca, plenty of other birds and wildlife - and the beach - are an added bonus.

Martin

Hi Mike

I've also had some great views in the Serra de Llevant, from the path leading from the car park towards the beach, although it's a bit of a hike (especially on the way back!). Some spectacular views of unspoilt Mallorca, plenty of other birds and wildlife - and the beach - are an added bonus.

Martin

Hello!
It's very very useful know the call and song of the Balearic Warbler to find it.
http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Sylvia-balearica
Cap Blanc and Cap Enderrocat, Cala Figuera and El Toro, Galatzó are very good for B.Warbler too but a bit far depending on where you are staying.
Regards

Hi Kevin. Yes, there were two at the s'Albufera reserve but they are in a restricted area sadly. You may be able to get permission to walk down the track. If you are going to Salobrar de Campos they can usually be seen there too. Walk down "Eddie's Track", the path goes left then right through a very muddy area (you will need wellies!) and the first gate on the left looks down a grassy track. Bluethroat can normally be seen flitting onto the grass at times. It may take a while but there are great views from there over most of the salt pans so lots of things to see whilst you are waiting. There should be some good wader passage too. Let us know what you see and good luck, Mike

ps. A great place for Bluethroat also is the Depuradora at the back of the s'Albufera reserve. View from the platform and they can be seen on the concrete causeways of the lagoons. It will save a trip south if you were not planning on going. Phil and I saw double figures once. Mike

ps. A great place for Bluethroat also is the Depuradora at the back of the s'Albufera reserve. View from the platform and they can be seen on the concrete causeways of the lagoons. It will save a trip south if you were not planning on going. Phil and I saw double figures once. Mike

Thanks Mike. I will be visiting all 3 of the sites you mentioned. Maybe I'll get lucky.

bluethroats

Thanks Mike, I visited all three sites you mentioned in mid January without success. I hope to visit all three again. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Mike, I havent been to Mallorca for a year or two now, but just wanted to say how great it is that you keep this thread alive and well.

I often take a look, every day or so.

Like you, I love the island.

Hello again- Looking forward to our next visit to Port de Pollenca from 5th to 19th April this year- a week later than last year so should see more summer visitors but conversely it might make winter visitors more difficult as they may have gone by then. Mention of Bluethroat brings back unhappy memories of missing one in the Pollensa Park Hotel gardens by 5 minutes a few years ago, assuming my informant had correctly identified it! Only 8 weeks to go to the highlight of our year.

A couple of Slender-billed gulls have been seen, presumably over-wintering. I am going for both tomorrow so will surely connect with one of them! Also the first House martin has been seen. Mike

A quick scoot round the east coast early this morning did not produce the hoped-for Razorbill, a hard bird to see here, but good views of Balearic warbler at Porto Colom near the lighthouse together with the best views of an Osprey I have ever seen, it drifted just over my head and along the coast and back again. Also one Northern gannet, large numbers of Thekla lark in song, Blue rock thrush and many Corn and Cirl buntings Also one Slender-billed gull at Albufereta with Black-headed gulls. Mike

Last Friday (the 7th) at s'Albufera, 2 Swallows and at least 3 House Martins - so Spring is on its way.

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back