• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May 2022 Moths (1 Viewer)

No striped excitement for me up here in North Wales, best on offer this morning was the year's first Coronet.

Attachments

• IMG_20220526_152733.jpg
    IMG_20220526_152733.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 0
Roy and I went year-ticking in Norfolk yesterday (well that was the idea anyway, all we actually got in the bird line was Caspian Tern, and I then saw another in Kent today!)

However we had quite a lot of success on the moth front and while I haven't yet had the full list from Roy some of the highlights included:

Hickling (we returned from seeing the Caspo and dipping the White-tailed Lapwing to find the visitor centre was about to empty their moth trap): Eyed Hawk Moth 2, Poplar Hawk Moth 5, Buff Tip, Pebble Prominent, Grey Pine Carpet and a noctuid Roy is engaged on identifying for us.

Weeting Heath (stuff found mainly by the lynx-eyed Roy as we walked round failing to find Spotted Flycatchers): Common Nettletrap 6+, Scorched Carpet, Yellow Shell 2, Green Carpet, 2 waves whose photos I haven't looked at yet.

I'd only ever seen one Eyed Hawk Moth previously and had no digital photos, so to see two in one go was massive. Almost like a tick! I'll put one or two pix up when I can.

John

The unidentified moths from Wednesday turned out to be a Pale-shouldered Brocade at Hickling and two Common Waves at Weeting.

Since then I've had my own trap out twice:

Saturday morning's haul had no NFY, BOTR was probably White Ermine plus a fresh Buff Tip, also the following numbers:

Heart and Dart 9
Treble Lines 3

This morning I found NFY Sycamore, Flame, and two micros, Rush Veneer and Brown House Moth (last a tick). Numbers:

Shuttle-shaped Dart 2
Heart and Dart 11
Treble Lines 2
Vines Rustic 4

Cheers

John

I always use the form Hawk-moth, I think that's what's in MapMate and I try to use their format as it makes it easier to import records.

A Peppered Moth was new for the year yesterday, only 9 moths in total, 4 were Edinburgh Pugs, probably the most common Pug I trap here.

Out & about in Albania had Cream-spot Tiger, Hummingbird Hawkmoth, many Speckled Yellow, several Nine-spotted & quite a few of a pretty micro-Synaphe moldovica.

Would appreciate some help on this one. Doesn't seem to fit Vestal (but held its wings tented like that) but also doesn't wholly fit the Belles that get cross references too.

Attachments

• 20220612_060108.jpg
    20220612_060108.jpg
    795 KB · Views: 7
Would appreciate some help on this one. Doesn't seem to fit Vestal (but held its wings tented like that) but also doesn't wholly fit the Belles that get cross references too.
One of the larger micros- Garden Pebble, Evergestis forficalis.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back