• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Name a bird for each letter of the alphabet- (4 Viewers)

R - Rose-coloured Starling

I'm not really much of a proper twitcher, but I've dipped 2 or 3 of these. First was in S Wales, Pembrokeshire, although I did connect with American Black Duck and Spotted Sandpiper, then in Cornwall (Penzance?) and somewhere else I don't recall. They have also been somewhat regular/annual on the Lizard/W Penwith in Cornwall and never connected when in those parts. (I have seen nice family groups/flocks in Turkey though).

Sinaloa Wren, tried for 3 months to find it on Fort Huachuca in Arizona a few years ago. One of the few birds I have tried to twitch.

I've not knowingly dipped Upland Sandpiper, Upcher's Warbler or Ural Owl.

So I can't think of any U's V's or Z's right now. I could probably scrape a W or Y.

I do have an X of course.

What do others have? Think we need to wrap this one up before Christmas ...

If we could skip to W I can put down Waxwing (I spent 3 hours standing in the cold waiting to see them, never did, then had to bike the 40min to 1 hour home (at which point I realised I had a puncture!)

If we could skip to W I can put down Waxwing (I spent 3 hours standing in the cold waiting to see them, never did, then had to bike the 40min to 1 hour home (at which point I realised I had a puncture!)
Same happened to me, tried last January and dipped, same for my first try in the Christmas holidays (dipped the Hertford and colchester lot). Finally got a group in London, reported 10 minutes way from the house. My brother recently got back into birding and while attempting to get him his lifers we failed on our first two stops, however we hit the jackpot in the third location.

X - Xenus cinereus

Terek Sandpiper. Trip to Finland some years ago failed to see one at a site. Not sure if they are even still there now. Have seen one since - one turned up in Cornwall.

Y- Yellow-billed Cuckoo. A vagrant here in UK - the first one I tried to twitch on the Isles of Scilly in 1995 was showing as I boarded the helicopter in Penzance, but no sign when I got to the site, or ever again. (Have seen one since, thankfully.)

So anyone ever failed to see a Fan-tailed Warbler, a siberian thrush, american sparrow etc etc ... ? ;-)
Z- Zitting cisticola

Possibly bending the rules a little, it was a species that I had expected to see while on vacation in France- didn't get it. Which I later found out was because I was not looking in the right areas, it ended up being one of my highest counted species on my last trip to France.

Z- Zitting cisticola

Possibly bending the rules a little, it was a species that I had expected to see while on vacation in France- didn't get it. Which I later found out was because I was not looking in the right areas, it ended up being one of my highest counted species on my last trip to France.
Phewwwww!!!!

(but you eventually saw a few ... ;-) )

Z- Zitting cisticola

Not starting a new one?

A - American Redstart.

Outside of one location where they are regular and expected, only a few breed in my region every year.

B - Black-throated Blue Warbler

Urban Miami-Dade is the only relievable wintering site of the species in North America

Last edited:
D- Dartford warbler

Haven't seen them in the area but we occasionally have a few spending the winter near Richmond park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back