• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Name a Bird You've Seen 2 (3 Viewers)

Unless Delia tells us otherwise, I'm going to assume her Intermediate Egret was A. intermedia intermedia, meaning Plumed Egret and Yellow-billed Egret are both now available if anyone's seen one, thanks to the IOC's taxonomic generosity. Good luck finding a connection from either of them to Variegated Antpitta, though...
Ummmm..... it was in Australia. I'll go look up the subspecies there, 'cos I can't remember LOL

Well ..... It's a real mission to come up with a connection, but Missiones is the only area within Argententina that Variegated Antpitta occurs, which is also true of the freshly split:-

9113. Atlantic Black-throated Trogon 😁

So we are now in the interesting position that Intermediate Egret was number 516, and Intermediate Egret is still available (we're not really going to call it "Medium Egret", are we?).

I now rEgret not waiting until later to post my last link because a smoother link would have been the word black in the even more freshly split:-

9117 Black-eared Barbet

(Sorry 😁)

I now rEgret not waiting until later to post my last link because a smoother link would have been the word black in the even more freshly split:-

9117 Black-eared Barbet

(Sorry 😁)
There's nothing wrong with "northernmost member of a multi-species group split by the IOC on 26 September 2023" as a link. Arguably it's almost the perfect example.

9115 (and 9116) and 9117 also rhyme, but 9116 and 9117 are both double-barrelled to start (a colour and then body part) but then 9115 and 9117 contain the letters 'term' and 'ear' respectively in the middles, both of which also occur in the phrase, 'terms of endearment'.

So not sure, but probably fine ;-)

At this point we need @Larry Sweetland to decide something for us, following the latest round of gifts from the IOC:
Oct 1 Split Streaked Fantail into three species: New Caledonian, Vanuatu, and Fiji Streaked Fantails.
So I did a search to see if he's reported where he saw the old species, found his epic trip report and ... he's seen all three.

So Larry, if you'd care to specify which you have already played, the other two will then be available for anyone else who's birded those islands.

At this point we need @Larry Sweetland to decide something for us, following the latest round of gifts from the IOC:

So I did a search to see if he's reported where he saw the old species, found his epic trip report and ... he's seen all three.

So Larry, if you'd care to specify which you have already played, the other two will then be available for anyone else who's birded those islands.
Ok, I'll say my original one is Vanuatu Streaked Fantail, as hopefully the other 2 island areas are more frequently visited

Olive-backed Sunbird is no more, having been chopped up into no less that 8 species. A bit of searching found that Will (who originally played this species) reported seeing it in Bangkok, which means the one he saw was Ornate Sunbird. He may well have seen others, but we'll go with that one. Garden Sunbird (which used to be the nominate subspecies) and the 6 localised ones are all available if anyone has seen them.

I'll play 9118 New Caledonia Streaked Fantail it has a black ear (althought covert stripe is white).

Attachments

• streaked fantail.JPG
    streaked fantail.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 2
Olive-backed Sunbird is no more, having been chopped up into no less that 8 species. A bit of searching found that Will (who originally played this species) reported seeing it in Bangkok, which means the one he saw was Ornate Sunbird. He may well have seen others, but we'll go with that one. Garden Sunbird (which used to be the nominate subspecies) and the 6 localised ones are all available if anyone has seen them.

What is the one in Singapore now called?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back