• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pocket binoculars that fit in your pocket! (1 Viewer)

Hi Imans66 (post #28),

A couple of images showing the size differences:
Firstly from Michael and Diane Porter at Birdwatching: http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2018_pocket_bins/chart_2018.html
And then from Dennis at: https://www.birdforum.net/threads/monocular-8x20-or-5x15.375938/page-2#post-3845907

The second makes clear that if you want maximum compactness combined with binocular viewing,
either the 6x15 or 7x15 Nikon Mikron needs to be seriously considered
However, for some the fatal limitation will be the 10 mm eye relief, see the attached specifications

John

Attachments

• Zeiss, Swaro, Leica, Kowa & Nikon.jpg
    Zeiss, Swaro, Leica, Kowa & Nikon.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Swarovski, Leica & Nikon.jpg
    Swarovski, Leica & Nikon.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Mikron Spec's.jpg
    Mikron Spec's.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 128
Nice John.....great image comparison and just what I was looking for. It is intriguing to visually see the differences. I know I have played with the Zeiss pocket and thought it was really small...( At the time I had my HT to compare it to, so it hit home on the size of each!) It is hard to image one of the other's such as the Leica, Nikon as they are even smaller...

I think one thing that has to be brought up given that this thread is all about 'in your pocket', is a monocular. Not that I have one, but given the size of some of these bins, it might pay to look at the monocular too. It just depends on your needs. But if stuffing in a pocket is what you want, the monocular might be the way to go. For hiking or in your backpack or biking, any will do nicely. In all cases, quite the 'niche' of a product, jim

Hi Jim,

In the last few years here on BirdForum, there’s been a surprising amount of discussion along with images, of small binoculars and monoculars
e.g. see the following:

John

Last edited:
The single hinge definitely adds bulk, and I agree it was the wrong decision. The optics of the Victory Pocket more than make up for it, though.
How would you say the optics compare between the victory and Leica UV? I'd imagine the victory are easier to use but how does the image quality compare?

FWIW, the pics show the 8x and regarding Zeiss and Swarovski there is no difference in size between the 8 and 10x. There is a reasonable difference in length between the Leica 8 and 10x.
Also, the 8x of Leica is 20mm and Swaro/Zeiss count 25mm.
This makes (in 8x) the image of the Swaro and Japanese Victory in quality brighter.

Jan

How would you say the optics compare between the victory and Leica UV? I'd imagine the victory are easier to use but how does the image quality compare?
My eyes are the limiting factor, but the Victory Pocket competes with the Ultravid 8x32, not the 8x20 (I sold my UV 8x32 HD after getting the Zeiss).

1VabugM.jpg

Lovely little things. They are small enough to fit in my trouser pockets thankfully. Im also surprised how easy I find it to look through them. I thought they would be a little fiddly but there fine, and that's with glasses on. Focus wheel turns nice and easy and the dioptre is pretty cool.

Anyway here are some more pics for reference incase anyone is searching.

CqMdPuH.jpg

ntvW6Vg.jpg

Zt71nky.jpg

q62hhQ2.jpg

TOgTrwE.jpg

Hi,

congratulations on your new toy and great that 2.5mm exit pupil works for you (unlike me - I don't really like my pair of 10x25 Zeiss Conquests due to that).

Have fun with it!

Joachim

Ah...those pictures do show 'it all'....love the picture comparing it to the Swiss army knife!!!! ... Those Frontiers stand out as well as the Papillo's which are relatively small in themself. So when looking at the difference between a monocular and a 8x20 (as you have) and determining which to get, I suppose why not get the binocular as they are pretty small as it is.... plus the added benefit of just a bit easier to hold to eyes. jim

Hi,

congratulations on your new toy and great that 2.5mm exit pupil works for you (unlike me - I don't really like my pair of 10x25 Zeiss Conquests due to that).

Have fun with it!

Joachim
Thanks. Yes I was worried about the 2.5 exit pupil and not being able to get out and view some I took a gamble. Im still surprised how easy i find them to look through.
Ah...those pictures do show 'it all'....love the picture comparing it to the Swiss army knife!!!! ... Those Frontiers stand out as well as the Papillo's which are relatively small in themself. So when looking at the difference between a monocular and a 8x20 (as you have) and determining which to get, I suppose why not get the binocular as they are pretty small as it is.... plus the added benefit of just a bit easier to hold to eyes. jim
I suppose you could get better exit pupil with a monocular for the same size but i much prefer to have binoculars. Couldnt be doing with the eye squinting with a monocular, I find it bad enough when adjusting the diopter :D
Good health to enjoy them! I'm very jealous!

Will

Beautiful. Mine are the rubbery ones. But your leather ones have a cachet all of their own. Enjoy in good health!
They're stunning. love the look of them and one of the reasons i went for them. I must admit i would feel safer with the rubber ones but ill just have to be careful.

Hi guys

Not looking for bins anywhere near the same league as those discussed above but can anyone suggest a reasonable robust light pocket binoculars for an elderly lady who just enjoys watching birds in the local area - I had a cheap pocket roof prism pair many years ago that I kept in a handbag (for emergencies) and they were pretty good quality for the price but I gave them to a friend’s kid. - I paid about £80 if I remember rightly but that was 25 years ago! I wish I could remember the make. There’s no point in me ordering her a decent pair, she just wants to look at birds out of her window and while sitting in the garden occasionally. An autofocus pair might work too as she has quite shaky hands and it’s not for long distance. Her budget is anything up to around £120. Thanks! 🙂

Hi guys

Not looking for bins anywhere near the same league as those discussed above but can anyone suggest a reasonable robust light pocket binoculars for an elderly lady who just enjoys watching birds in the local area - I had a cheap pocket roof prism pair many years ago that I kept in a handbag (for emergencies) and they were pretty good quality for the price but I gave them to a friend’s kid. - I paid about £80 if I remember rightly but that was 25 years ago! I wish I could remember the make. There’s no point in me ordering her a decent pair, she just wants to look at birds out of her window and while sitting in the garden occasionally. An autofocus pair might work too as she has quite shaky hands and it’s not for long distance. Her budget is anything up to around £120. Thanks! 🙂
Hi Deb,

Shaking hands and autofocus has nothing to do with each other and I would suggest to stay away from both.
Weight "helps" reducing tremor effects so the best thing is to go for a 6 of 8x30/32, since she will use it only sitting outside and/or at the window.
Opticron would be a good option but I am sure some English friends here will help you out..

Jan

Thanks Jan - I realise that, what I meant was she may have difficulty getting her finger to locate and rest on the focus wheel but thank you for your comments - hopefully it won’t be an issue.

Troubadour, thank you!! Binoculars ordered 🙂

Either the Zeiss Victory 8x25 or Swarovski CL-P 8x25 because of their bigger aperture are going to have better optics, superior low light performance and easier eye placement than the Leica Ultravid 8x20 but the Leica will be more pocketable. You have to decide what your priorities are.

Anyway here are some more pics for reference incase anyone is searching.
Why does the case look half again as big as necessary? The Monovid case has a similar problem, which largely defeats the purpose of so compact an instrument, especially since they don't come with endcaps in order to dispense with one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back