• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pocket binoculars that fit in your pocket! (1 Viewer)

“Figuring out your need” is a great point. Everyone has different real world needs. I love buying and trying binoculars, but I also don’t like clutter and “waste”, so I try to be disciplined and fight my gear junkie tendencies and ask myself “when will I really use this binocular?”

I had the same point on the other end of the spectrum in the current thread on the Leica UV 8x50. I just can’t imagine a situation where I would grab that instead of the 7x42.

My only “criticism” of the Zeiss 8x25 is that it didn’t fit any real need for me. It was in a sort of no-mans-land where it wasn’t quite comfy enough for “serious birding”, but not quite small enough for “carry anywhere emergency use”. So when I asked myself “when will i REALLY use these?”, the truth was that I would always grab a larger bin if I didn’t need to stuff it away. And they weren’t quite comfy enough for me to use them as a lighter alternative. And I would probably still leave them at home if I needed something truly tiny.

So then I veered towards “small 8x30” which (as you know) is all the rage these days, thinking I would prefer the handling as a light weight backup option. But, now that I have a Traveler 8x32, it really strikes me that these tiny-30 class is not that much more ergonomic than the Zeiss. In addition to the Opticron I’ve owned the M7 8x30, and the Swaro 8x30, they are all just a wee bit too small and slender for me to wrap my mitts around and feel totally comfortable using them for hours. The Opticron sits at home most of the time (although I will probably still keep them since the light weight and 51mm min IPD makes them perfect for my daughters).

So I think the Zeiss is more accurately viewed as a competitor to these tiny-30’s, but with the benefit of being able to fold in half! Perfect for someone who wants a serious optic for occasional use that handles almost like a mid sized bin, but can be stuffed into a belt pouch or roomy jacket pocket when not needed.

This thread has really developed. I agree with a lot here and particularly Eitan's #81 and the opening concept he references from Imans' #77. For me, it's the (excellent) new SW 8X30 CL that falls into no man's land. While the CL is optically better, I prefer the handling ergonomics of the VP which is also noticeably smaller and lighter. Just about anyplace I could carry the CL, I could carry the SV 8x32. The 8x25 VP is the best bin I can have with me more often than not. That is my number 1 real world need.

Mike

I was on a similar quest and have owned two of the Nikon Microns, the Leica 8x20, Swaro 8x25 and Zeiss 8x25. I found the Nikon too small to be enjoyable but a cool novelty. The Leica 8x20 is excellent for what it is. But the impressive views of the 8x25 size blows the smaller ones out of the water. To me, the 8x25 view is so nice that I sold all my larger binoculars (other than image stabilized bins). Out of everything I kept the Swaro 8x25. I like how it folds up into a more compact package than the Zeiss competitor and I also preferred the ergonomics.

IMO, they shouldn't really be seen as direct competitors as they fill somewhat different niches. The Zeiss to me slots in more in between 8x32's and "true" compacts. The Zeiss is perfect for someone who wants something that has comfort and handling close to an 8x32, but with a significant reduction in size/weight. The Leica is for when you need something that is more literally "pocket sized".

The photo below from the birdwatching.com review tells the story, as well as the subsequent image which I took when I had the Zeiss 8x25, next to my wife's UV 8x32 HD. The 8x20 UV is MUCH smaller, and with the double hinge folds up even smaller when collapsed.

The Zeiss, on the other hand, is (when opened for use) basically the same size as the Ultravid 8x32, albeit with slimmer barrels and a ~40% reduction in weight. It is obviously much smaller than more "full sized" 8x32's, as the Leica is among the smallest, but it's not any smaller (if at all) than the proliferating 8x30 class that's become popular recently.

View attachment 1373643

View attachment 1373644

So to me, the Zeiss 8x25 is really competing with binoculars like the Opticron Traveler or Nikon MHG -- i.e. a small, light binocular for when you want to minimize size/weight while still retaining handling and optical quality "close enough" to a normal-sized 8x32. The Zeiss is still large enough, and optically good enough, to function as an optic that's used for more than just casual views, more like an 8x32. Whereas the Leica UV 8x20 is a for when you want something truly tiny, at the expense of some ergonomics/handling comfort.

The reason I sold the Zeiss 8x25 was that (for me) they weren't small enough to be truly "pocket sized", which reduced their value as something I could have on me at any time even in non-birding contexts.... but when used for normal "I'm birding but I don't want to carry a big 42mm" outings, where I'm not putting the binocular in a pocket or bag, I would rather have a slightly larger 30/32mm with the superior ergonomics and more meat to grab onto.

In other words, if I'm not going to stuff it into a pocket, the small size / light weight is a negative, not a positive. I'd rather carry an 8x32 and benefit from the superior handling, larger exit pupil, fatter eyecups, etc. And if I am going to stuff it into a pocket for "emergency use", I would rather have something even smaller (like the Leica).

It also should be noted that I don't wear glasses, so the long eye relief and small eyecups of the Zeiss didn't work out that well for me, and I much preferred the handling of my wife's Leica. I can totally understand how someone who wears glasses would prefer the Zeiss, as I found it to be virtually the equal of the little Leica optically. Especially if you're more of a "look occasionally at stuff" binocular user, not a hardcore birder who is using them constantly when out in the field.

I have a Leica UV 8x20 on its way, so I will see how I mesh with that one. I'm not expecting it to have the viewing comfort and handling of the Zeiss, but I also expect I'll be more likely to tote it along to random places where I otherwise wouldn't have any binoculars on me.
Your post is what I was getting at when I started the thread. I love the look of the Swarovski 8x25 and was so close to getting it but I had to think to myself if they will not fit into my shorts/trouser pockets then again I'll be leaving them at home. Also if I've got a pair of 8x32 I just don't see the point of having a pair of 8x25.

I know now that when I'm going for a walk, cycle, going camping or to a festival or even the theatre I'll be able to take the Leica with me with out them being a hassle. If I'm going out birding or to an air show etc then the Hawkes will be my companion.

I think you made the right choice and agree with the sentiment that the Zeiss and Swarovski have optical advantages, but the form factor is somewhere between a "pocket" and midsized.

That's why I like my little Swarovski 8x20 so much, it's even a wee bit smaller and lighter than the Leica. If I was buying new today it would definitely be the Leica.

I was on a similar quest and have owned two of the Nikon Microns, the Leica 8x20, Swaro 8x25 and Zeiss 8x25. I found the Nikon too small to be enjoyable but a cool novelty. The Leica 8x20 is excellent for what it is. But the impressive views of the 8x25 size blows the smaller ones out of the water. To me, the 8x25 view is so nice that I sold all my larger binoculars (other than image stabilized bins). Out of everything I kept the Swaro 8x25. I like how it folds up into a more compact package than the Zeiss competitor and I also preferred the ergonomics.
I agree. I tried just about every small compact and I kept the Swaro 8x25 CL-P. It folds smaller than the Zeiss Victory 8x25 and even though the FOV is smaller it has a bigger sweet spot and sharper edges which makes up for it. I also preferred the ergonomics of the Swarovski 8x25. The eye cups fit my eye sockets better, and I don't have to "float" it to avoid blackouts like I do the Zeiss 8x25. The Swaro 8x25 kills the Leica Ultravid 8x20 optically.

So how far do the eye cups pull out on the victory? Looking at pictures they look like they pull out about 6/7mm? Compared to the swaro which looks about 10mm. Surely if they made them to pull out a couple more mil they would suit the eye relief they have?

So how far do the eye cups pull out on the victory? Looking at pictures they look like they pull out about 6/7mm? Compared to the swaro which looks about 10mm. Surely if they made them to pull out a couple more mil they would suit the eye relief they have?
That is what they need or maybe a little larger eye cups, so they don't sink into your eye sockets as much. I think the Swaro 8x25 CL-P has bigger diameter eye cups.

Hello everyone! I'm so glad I found this forum, this is a lot of great information. This is exactly what I have been looking for after days of searching endlessly.

Like the OP, I am looking for true pocket binoculars. Not necessarily the best of the best, but a pair that I can take literally everywhere I go. Having said that, I don't want to waste money on really cheap binoculars that I will want to upgrade almost immediately based on poor image etc.

The Leica Ultravids that @Sprite1275 purchased was what I was looking to go for, but the price is quite higher than I wanted to spend. As a relative novice, I don't think I could justify that cost.

Due to the great post by @John A Roberts I found the Vanguard Orros 8x25. Does anyone have any insights on the quality of these or even the Nikon Trailblazer 8x25 ATB? It seems from the reviews that they have decent performance and only slightly bigger than the Leica and both under 100$.
Hi Imans66 (post #28),

A couple of images showing the size differences:
Firstly from Michael and Diane Porter at Birdwatching: Charts for Pocket Binoculars Review, 2018, by Michael and Diane Porter
And then from Dennis at: Monocular - 8x20 or 5x15?

The second makes clear that if you want maximum compactness combined with binocular viewing,
either the 6x15 or 7x15 Nikon Mikron needs to be seriously considered
However, for some the fatal limitation will be the 10 mm eye relief, see the attached specifications

John
Thanks for any help, and all the great information!

Last edited:
Having said that, I don't want to waste money on really cheap binoculars that I will want to upgrade almost immediately based on poor image etc.

The Leica Ultravids that @Sprite1275 purchased was what I was looking to go for, but the price is quite higher than I wanted to spend. As a relative novice, I don't think I could justify that cost.
1. My advice would be to buy the best you can possibly afford, rather than end up with the same amount of money tied up in a succession of increasingly better binoculars, as many seem to do. Buy the good ones to begin with, and enjoy them from the start.
2. I don't think the fact that you are a "relative novice" is at all relevant. Good optics are useful for many different purposes, and I think many people fall into a trap, and miss a lot of enjoyment by assuming that their binoculars are for a single purpose. ("Oh, I'm not going to see any birds, so I won't take them with me.")
3."Justify" to whom?

Just my thoughts on the subject

1. My advice would be to buy the best you can possibly afford, rather than end up with the same amount of money tied up in a succession of increasingly better binoculars, as many seem to do. Buy the good ones to begin with, and enjoy them from the start.
2. I don't think the fact that you are a "relative novice" is at all relevant. Good optics are useful for many different purposes, and I think many people fall into a trap, and miss a lot of enjoyment by assuming that their binoculars are for a single purpose. ("Oh, I'm not going to see any birds, so I won't take them with me.")
3."Justify" to whom?

Just my thoughts on the subject
Thanks for the thoughts! All valid and well thought out points.

Justify in sorts to myself the price difference. I refer to myself as a novice in terms of frequency of dedicated bird viewing trips to qualify my needs in binoculars. I am searching for take anywhere binoculars that would assuredly be used solely for bird watching, via infrequent walks. In the future as I grow in the hobby I would probably invest in large/heavy binoculars dedicated to birding trips that would not need to be pocket sized. If I do, that 600 dollars I saved would go a long way. Since they will be used for two completely different things I don’t think it would be an issue of continually upgrading whichever option is picked as they fill different needs.

I am involved in several potentially expensive hobbys (Astrophotography/reef keeping) and always see the „more expensive/more money the better“ advice; which isn’t always the case. Many times low cost items can be just as rewarding/successful and the hundreds of dollars difference only yields small differences negligible to a casual participant.

The best option might very well be the expensive Leicas, I am not sure so I was wondering if any had insights on the very inexpensive Vanguards. Unfortunately I can’t try them out in person to compare so don’t know if the Leicas are 600 dollars better than the Vanguards. Obviously this would be a personal evaluation; but I thought experts might be able to provide some insights on the significant or lack thereof differences between the two based on my experience and needs.

Last edited:
cmid, take Maljunulo's very sound advice. I'd like to add three further aspects for consideration. Go for a x20 rather than a x25 if you "want to take it literally everywhere" as you say. A x25 configuration is bulkier and will not slip into your pockets easily, whereas a Leica 8x20 will do. Also bear in mind that it's not just about optics but also about mechanical construction. Focusing can be a pain with small binoculars. Again, this is where the Leica shines. A third point is that you will find it difficult to resell an inexpensive pair if you want to upgrade for the aforementioned reasons.

I have the Ultravid 8x20BL (and Trinovid 8x20, Nikon Mikron 7x15 CM F and more monoculars than I’d care to count), but I prefer the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 by a wide margin. Yes, they are bigger, but the usability jump is huge, at least for a glasses wearer like me.

Thanks for the thoughts! All valid and well thought out points.

Justify in sorts to myself the price difference. I refer to myself as a novice in terms of frequency of dedicated bird viewing trips to qualify my needs in binoculars. I am searching for take anywhere binoculars that would assuredly be used solely for bird watching, via infrequent walks. In the future as I grow in the hobby I would probably invest in large/heavy binoculars dedicated to birding trips that would not need to be pocket sized. If I do, that 600 dollars I saved would go a long way. Since they will be used for two completely different things I don’t think it would be an issue of continually upgrading whichever option is picked as they fill different needs.

I am involved in several potentially expensive hobbys (Astrophotography/reef keeping) and always see the „more expensive/more money the better“ advice; which isn’t always the case. Many times low cost items can be just as rewarding/successful and the hundreds of dollars difference only yields small differences negligible to a casual participant.

The best option might very well be the expensive Leicas, I am not sure so I was wondering if any had insights on the very inexpensive Vanguards. Unfortunately I can’t try them out in person to compare so don’t know if the Leicas are 600 dollars better than the Vanguards. Obviously this would be a personal evaluation; but I thought experts might be able to provide some insights on the significant or lack thereof differences between the two based on my experience and needs.

cmid,

Short version: I am familiar with the Porter article referenced by John A. Roberts and with a number of the bins reviewed and ranked there. I am not an expert but am an owner and fan of various pocket models. Generally I agree with the "buy the best you can" school but given your current plan for occasional casual use it may well make more sense for you to start with a less expensive pocket.

I have two full size Vanguards and they represent good value/quality for the money IMO but am not familiar with the Orros model. Two caveats. First the Orros may not be small enough for you to truly be a "go anywhere" pocket bin. The Leica 8x20 UV is the current champ in that division (on the high end). What may appear to be insignificant differences in size and weight of pockets based on pictures and specs can make a real difference in practical use and enjoyment. OTOH the larger size and the offset hinge may make the Orros easier to use for beginners. Second, you have probably read that the Orros model has too little eye relief to be used with glasses if that is a consideration.

I have no experience with any Nikon pockets but have a number of full size Nikons and generally IMO they represent a very good price to performance ratio.

You may have read that many experienced members who own some of the best full size glass prefer to go mid range on pockets, specifically most often the Zeiss Terra 8x25 is recommended. I love mine and for me they have the best handling of any dual hinge model. More expensive though.

Not to complicate things but you might also consider a used 8x20 if looking to go really small with a noticeable increase in optical quality as mentioned by others here.

Hope this helps and keep us posted.

Mike

cmid,

Short version: I am familiar with the Porter article referenced by John A. Roberts and with a number of the bins reviewed and ranked there. I am not an expert but am an owner and fan of various pocket models. Generally I agree with the "buy the best you can" school but given your current plan for occasional casual use it may well make more sense for you to start with a less expensive pocket.

I have two full size Vanguards and they represent good value/quality for the money IMO but am not familiar with the Orros model. Two caveats. First the Orros may not be small enough for you to truly be a "go anywhere" pocket bin. The Leica 8x20 UV is the current champ in that division (on the high end). What may appear to be insignificant differences in size and weight of pockets based on pictures and specs can make a real difference in practical use and enjoyment. OTOH the larger size and the offset hinge may make the Orros easier to use for beginners. Second, you have probably read that the Orros model has too little eye relief to be used with glasses if that is a consideration.

I have no experience with any Nikon pockets but have a number of full size Nikons and generally IMO they represent a very good price to performance ratio.

You may have read that many experienced members who own some of the best full size glass prefer to go mid range on pockets, specifically most often the Zeiss Terra 8x25 is recommended. I love mine and for me they have the best handling of any dual hinge model. More expensive though.

Not to complicate things but you might also consider a used 8x20 if looking to go really small with a noticeable increase in optical quality as mentioned by others here.

Hope this helps and keep us posted.

Mike
Thanks for the great information Mike!

I noticed my previous posts were rather lengthy, sorry for that! Out of consideration for everyone's time I'll try to make it short, so please excuse my curtness.

• I looked into the Zeiss models, but these seem to not really fit into a standard pant pocket. (not cargo or coat pocket)So not quite what I am after, although I appreciate the upgrade in quality. If I was looking for a lightweight binocular to carry in a bag or something similar, then I would definitely go for these.
  • I would very much be interested in any suggestions in the 8x20 category! I only just picked the 8x25 because there is a lot of information regarding those.
Since my situation will be a temporary interaction with the product (as opposed to a stationary astrophotography picture that you can continually examine) I am thinking the more inexpensive pair might be the best fit for my situation. (If they even fit in a pocket!) These binoculars would be for walks where I might happen to see a bird and would want something to identify it with. For dedicated bird trips I can take better quality/more expensive binoculars.

I went ahead and picked up the Nikon and Vanguard if anyone is interested in the thoughts of a novice. I'll let you know what I think. It goes without saying that I am not predetermined to keep either pair, so any other suggestions are welcomed.

Last edited:
You might want to keep your eye out for a used Leica Trinovid 8x20, which is both tiny AND optically excellent. It just lacks the waterproofing and some other high end features of the Ultravid 8x20.

As I noted in my prior posts in this thread, I was in a similar place where I felt the 8x25 Zeiss VP was just too large for a "pocket" binocular. The Ultravid 8x20 is much more to my liking for this purpose, as I can easily slip it into any normal pant pocket. There is no question however that the Zeiss is a much more pleasant binocular to use for "real birding" as it handles closer to an 8x30 than an 8x20, but it would be left at home in situations where the Ultravid wouldn't.

The Trinovid is supposedly even a bit smaller than the Ultravid, and will save a few hundred bucks. The lack of waterproofing is likely a non-issue for your intended uses.

Sometimes you can great deals, I’d bought the Product RED version of the Ultravid 8x20 BL for just $400 as a wedding present from MidwayUSA (found out about the deal on the Binocular Bargains thread here, although to be frank great discounts on alpha-class binoculars have been rare in the last 2 years or so).

Another compact bino you may want to consider is the Kowa Genesis 8x22 XD Prominar. Kowa does not enjoy the same prestige as Leica, Zeiss or Swarovski so they don’t have the same pricing power, but they are known for making the best spotting scopes.

I noticed my previous posts were rather lengthy, sorry for that! Out of consideration for everyone's time I'll try to make it short, so please excuse my curtness.

• I looked into the Zeiss models, but these seem to not really fit into a standard pant pocket. (not cargo or coat pocket)So not quite what I am after, although I appreciate the upgrade in quality. If I was looking for a lightweight binocular to carry in a bag or something similar, then I would definitely go for these.
  • I would very much be interested in any suggestions in the 8x20 category! I only just picked the 8x25 because there is a lot of information regarding those.
Since my situation will be a temporary interaction with the product (as opposed to a stationary astrophotography picture that you can continually examine) I am thinking the more inexpensive pair might be the best fit for my situation. (If they even fit in a pocket!) These binoculars would be for walks where I might happen to see a bird and would want something to identify it with. For dedicated bird trips I can take better quality/more expensive binoculars.

I went ahead and picked up the Nikon and Vanguard if anyone is interested in the thoughts of a novice. I'll let you know what I think. It goes without saying that I am not predetermined to keep either pair, so any other suggestions are welcomed.
I would keep looking for second hand. No way could I drop 600 notes on the ultravid but found mine on eBay couple of months old.
I was very close to buying a pair of Nikon HG 8x20 from what I can remember around £300 before I saw the ultravid.

The ultravid are great and easily fit in your trouser pocket. Also easy to use. I would love a pair of Swarovski 8x25 but they just do not serve a purpose for me. It's either got to be 'pocketable' or I would rather use 8x30 if out purposely to use binoculars.

If for whatever reason neither the Nikon nor Vanguard work for you (the Nikon does seems admirably small for a 25mm based on specs) and you are still inclined to go for a more compact but inexpensive 8x20, I recommend the Promaster ELX Infinity HD 8x21 currently available for @ $129. In terms of size, design and shape, it's an inexpensive clone of the old Swaro 8x20. Just as compact as the Leica 8x20 Trinovid. I'd be glad to answer any follow up questions if you're interested in the interim.

I would be interested in your comparisons of the various models and it seems many people in your situation come to BF seeking advice on inexpensive pockets as an introduction to using binoculars.

Mike

If for whatever reason neither the Nikon nor Vanguard work for you (the Nikon does seems admirably small for a 25mm based on specs) and you are still inclined to go for a more compact but inexpensive 8x20, I recommend the Promaster ELX Infinity HD 8x21 currently available for @ $129. In terms of size, design and shape, it's an inexpensive clone of the old Swaro 8x20. Just as compact as the Leica 8x20 Trinovid. I'd be glad to answer any follow up questions if you're interested in the interim.

I would be interested in your comparisons of the various models and it seems many people in your situation come to BF seeking advice on inexpensive pockets as an introduction to using binoculars.

Mike
Thanks Mike! I would definitely consider these as they look great, however I think I found what I am looking for. I’ll detail my thoughts here:

disclaimer I know very little about optics and am a complete novice

1. Both come with pouches that can be affixed to a belt loop. Even there
  2. Both are genuinely pocketable. However, the hing design on the Vanguard makes less so. It would be awkward in smaller pockets. No issues sticking the Nikon into any pocket (see picture)
  3. The Vanguard are bulkier (more solid feeling) so some might like those if you have shaky hands?
  4. I found the focus on the Nikon much more easy to turn/get focused
  5. I much prefer the image in the Nikon, the colors are brighter and seem more saturated
  6. I very much have to struggle getting a clear image in the Vanguard. I have to open and close the hinge until I get a consistent image. With the Nikon I just raise the binocular and bam the image is there and clear with only manipulation of the focus wheel
  7. The Nikon has twist out extensions (eye cups?) that I don’t really know what for... but the Vanguard doesn’t have them. Maybe for glasses wearers? I didn’t have any issues pressing the brow against the eye pieces when extended, but some people might experience them collapsing easier than desired when viewing depending the angle you make contact. Just FYI, I like to rest the brow against the eye cup for stability so that is how I used them here.
  8. It seems as though I receive a bigger field of view with the Nikon. Not sure if that is actually the case, but it seems that way

9. Conclusion: I could tell after the first use that I far prefer the Nikon. In fact it is everything I was looking for. A compact binocular that can literally fit in any pocket and taken everywhere. Gym shorts, dress shorts anything. And if you wanted to use the belt loop, I imagine they would be inconspicuous as well. Without offending anyone, I can’t imagine 600$+ making a big difference for the novice with these criteria. Obviously take my opinion with the knowledge that I know next to nothing about binoculars and these are only my thoughts. I’m sure the image is clearer on the edges etc. but looking through the Nikon, is almost as clear to me as my normal vision (for purposes here it is basically perfect vision) just magnified. My vote is that the Nikon would be a consideration when a suggestion is being made to a casual enthusiast who wants a pocket binocular .(But please note the bold words as these might not be best for serious birding or serious optic connoisseurs)

Attachments

• 475453C2-B6C2-4ED8-B89B-512D256C272C.jpeg
    475453C2-B6C2-4ED8-B89B-512D256C272C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 79

Users who are viewing this thread

Back