• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robins are flycatchers? (7 Viewers)

“If we have two original spellings, we need a first reviser.”
I nominate Blyth as first reviser he published: Sylvania phoenicuroides, Blyth, JAS Beng. xvi. p. 136 (1847)

Although the second version of Catalogue of the Specimens and Drawings of Mammals, Birds, Reptiles, (1863) states that the original catalogue used oe not oa.

Last edited:
White-bellied Redstart

Laurent's useful comment noted -- with thanks to him and to Daniel who drew the comment to my attention. The relevant First Reviser action will be found shortly. Almost certainly G.R. Gray will have so acted, in accordance with Article 24.2.4 of the Code, and no later than 1855 I expect.
Good wishes to all.
Edward

PS Readers are always welcome to e-mail me with suggested corrections to spellings and dates in the Howard & Moore Checklist. I can also provide a contact for each region for suggested corrections to range statements based on published information. The team is working hard to produce a superlative 4th. edition next year with several new features.

White-bellied Redstart

I fear Blyth, 1847, does not qualify as First Reviser. He cannot be considered under Article 24.2.4 as he is not one of the original authors and as he is not he would have had to spell out both original spellings which he did not do.

Best wishes

Edward

Thank you Mr. Dickinson, great for you to communicate here!
Catalogue of the birds in the Museum Asiatic Society
By Edward Blyth
BRACHYPTERYX series.
Genus SYLVANIA, Blyth.
1052. S. PHOENICUROIDES, J. A. S. XVI, 135.
SYN. Brachypterus phoenicuroides, Hodgson, Gray's Catal.
HAB. Himalaya.
A. Male (in bad order), from Nepal. B. H. Hodgson, Esq. (1843).
B. Female. Masuri. Capt. Hutton.

Then later "Bradypterus phoenicurodes 1052 (vide App., No. 3)" and "1052. For " Brachypterus," read Bradypterus."

The Catalogue was not published until 1852 but the appendixes ie “Supplement” were published in 1849. See SNAB 47. The name Bradypterus phoenicuriodes was used in the appendix, see above. So I nominate Blyth again as first reviser of phoenicuroides in 1849 but not the 1852 part. Nevermind App. 3=APPENDIX, No. 3.
Corrections and additions of Synonymes, Habitats, Etc. not the Supplement.

In the Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum (Gray) (1855) has phaenicuroides not phoenicuroides. So it is ae and Gray is the reviser

Last edited:
Or, depending on whether you consider John Edward Gray an author of the Hodgson Catalogue, he may be the first reviser. In his List of the osteological specimens in the collection of the British museum(1847):

The RED-TAILED SHORT-WING. Bradypterus phaenicuroides. Two Sterna. Nepal. Presented by B. H. Hodgson, Esq.
The ae dipthong again. Does it matter if John Edward Gray was an author of the Hodgson Catalogue?

White-bellied Redstart

George R. Gray 1855 certainly did publish and used phæni- [kindly verified by Steven Gregory].

Blyth, whether in the Catalogue or the Supplement would have had to cite both spellings. I doubt he did that but I can check later.

However it looks as if J.E. Gray's 1847 paper will win here. Well found; we will cross check when we can.

E.

White-bellied Redstart

I am pleased to be able to confirm that the First Reviser action in this case is indeed in the 1847 list of osteological specimens. This is dated from April 17, 1847 see Sherborn (1926, Ann. Mag. Hist. Nat. p. 272); as usual for museum catalogues of that period it has no author on the title page, Sherborn attributes it to both the Grays which ir probably correct, but the Preface is by J.E. Gray alone. Apart from that no puzzle. There can be almost no chance of finding that either Gray acted between 9 Jan and 17 April.

Unless anyone objects I will store this with a few other similar cases for a follow-up to David et al. 2009 (Zootaxa 2085).

Edward

"Unless anyone objects..." I certainly do not object. We all throw our two cents in on this site freely and simply for the further understanding of these birds we love. But perhaps you and your co-authors could thank, BirdForum Ltd 2002 - 2008 who built this place so Australians, and Amuricans and Polish, British and Belgians can get their head together on these little problems.

Taxonomy in Flux

Sangster, Alström, Forsmark & Olsson 2010. Multilocus phylogenetic analysis of Old World chats and flycatchers reveals extensive paraphyly at family, subfamily and genus level (Aves: Muscicapidae). Mol Phyl Evol: in press.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=56f7997313051141b7cc8c63dd884e10

This could result in quite a re-shuffle – John Boyd will be very busy! ;)
John Boyd has now incorporated the results of Sangster et al 2010:
http://jboyd.net/Taxo/changes.html
http://jboyd.net/Taxo/List26.html#muscicapidae

Richard

Sangster, Alström, Forsmark & Olsson 2010. Multilocus phylogenetic analysis of Old World chats and flycatchers reveals extensive paraphyly at family, subfamily and genus level (Aves: Muscicapidae). Mol Phyl Evol: in press.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=56f7997313051141b7cc8c63dd884e10

This could result in quite a re-shuffle – John Boyd will be very busy! ;)

Recommended taxonomic changes at species level (cf Dickinson 2003):

[*]Luscinia ruficeps > Larvivora ruficeps

John Boyd has placed ruficeps in Calliope with some uncertainty, but stated that this is the most likely spot for it. I take it this species wasn't actually sampled in the study. Did Sangster et al. give a reason for placing it in Larvivora?

Rufous-headed Robin

John Boyd has placed ruficeps in Calliope with some uncertainty, but stated that this is the most likely spot for it. I take it this species wasn't actually sampled in the study. Did Sangster et al. give a reason for placing it in Larvivora?
"Our study did not include Luscinia ruficeps. We tentatively place this species in Larvivora based on the similarity of its structure, song and behaviour to those of L. brunnea and L. cyane (G. Sangster, P. Alström, U. Olsson unpubl. data)."

Richard

Last edited:
Firethroat

"Our study did not include Luscinia ruficeps. We tentatively place this species in Larvivora based on the similarity of its structure, song and behaviour to those of L. brunnea and L. cyane (G. Sangster, P. Alström, U. Olsson unpubl. data)."

Richard

How 'bout Firethroat, is that included? John Boyd has it in Calliope. My very non-scientifical gut feeling is rather Larvivora.

How 'bout Firethroat, is that included? John Boyd has it in Calliope. My very non-scientifical gut feeling is rather Larvivora.

Quote Sangster et al, 2010:
L. pectoralis, L. calliope and L. pectardens form a well-supported clade, although
the exact position of this clade was poorly resolved.
Calliope Gould, 1836 is available for L. pectoralis, L. calliope and L. pectardens. We also tentatively place L. obscura in this genus based on its plumage similarity to L. pectardens

Quote Sangster et al, 2010:
L. pectoralis, L. calliope and L. pectardens form a well-supported clade, although
the exact position of this clade was poorly resolved.
Calliope Gould, 1836 is available for L. pectoralis, L. calliope and L. pectardens. We also tentatively place L. obscura in this genus based on its plumage similarity to L. pectardens

Thanks!

Calliope/Larvivora

Looks like your feeling is shared by some ... including J. Boyd now.
That was Rufous-headed Robin (ruficeps) - yesterday moved from Calliope to Larvivora following Sangster et al:
http://jboyd.net/Taxo/changes.html

[Firethroat (pectardens) remains in Calliope.]

It's too early in the morning, Daniel!

Richard ;)

Last edited:
Luscinia svecica

found in Google...

ANMARKRUD J. A., JOHNSEN A., BACHMANN L. & LIFJELD J.T. 2010. Ancestral polymorphism in exon 2 of bluethroat (Luscinia svecica) MHC class II B genes. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 23 : 1206–1217. abstract

Turcokova L., Osiejuk T.S., Pavel V., Glapan J. & Petruskova T. 2010. Song divergence of two Bluethroat subspecies (Luscinia s. svecica and L. s. cyanecula). Ornis Fennica 87: xx-xx. PDF

Any inference in the body of the text of the first article?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back