• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rockfowl's Eclectic Mix / Travels with Mark Andrews (4 Viewers)

No probs Ed (I was hoping you'd cast your eye), you're right, I see it from the image (should have tried this with PS myself) but currently glad the hacksaw's in the shed B :) tomorrow's another day, will start chopping !

Thanks for the encouraging comments folks, appreciated.

Last edited:
Beautiful Marsh Sands, especially against the colour.

I've probably pushed my luck far enough on your Spoonie, but if you are tempted when when you get back from the pub..

no need to interfere with the carved detail on wingtips etc

just two cuts with the hacksaw as suggested in magenta should do it..

then rotate severed rear section about the yellow "x" and fill the gap..
That's fecking clever, old boy!
Y'know - you really ought to use some of this latent intelligence in your day job ;) B :)

All is pretty wonderful!

Hope the lung thing gets better...

Don't deprive us of this wonder!

Keep on getting better! You and user!

We desperately NEED you both in this World!

PS Derry is a March Hare. His Tea Parties are devoid of substance. Simply using Cormorant's to spoon,supposedly, efficacious lumps of (?) into muddypuddlewater, disguised as Tea! (Or, maybe, Teal?)

PPS Your thread will be visited by many Mark. 43 pages for starters! Get well !

Regards,

phil

Hope you raise lots of money for the Spoon-Bills!

Hey Mark!

Great to see you've finally stared a thread.
Love the Spoonies, great!
And the paintings are cool too - like the Spoonies, got them spot on. And the Marshies, very nice and love the reflections....just one little thing (if I may be so bold!) the reflected left leg of the furthest right bird looks a little wrong as it stops too short I feel. But other than that looks great!!

Hi Mark,
You mentioned not knowing whether you should go with artistic licence or accuracy! Bu**er it, go with both, that man!! Cracking bits of art and I would be well happy to have one of them just as they are. Leave the Marshies alone, they are bl**dy good as well ( they just make my attempts at "art" look like dyslexic toilet graffiti - which makes me a tad bitter :t: )
Chris

I've probably pushed my luck far enough on your Spoonie, but if you are tempted when when you get back from the pub..

no need to interfere with the carved detail on wingtips etc

just two cuts with the hacksaw as suggested in magenta should do it..

then rotate severed rear section about the yellow "x" and fill the gap..

Surgery completed, bit touch and go for a while, very tough stuff and I wasn't sure where I'd put the pebble (see below ) but back together and awaiting a bit of 'hardening off' Looks better, you're right...watch this space for the ammended version :smoke:

amazing material, do you still need an armature inside?

No armature Colleen but I did build the body around a beach pebble, like you do, because it was about the right size for the head - strange process I know!

As I've been photographing some work (badly I might add) another favourite wader of mine, and should be seeing these next week with Russ B.

Attachments

• Ibisbills.jpg
    Ibisbills.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Hi Mark,

Love them.

Brought back memories of me walking back in the dark to the 'old' huts on Happy Island for my evening meal. I'd had the beach to myself and an incredible spooner down to 10 metres. 'Twas calling also. I could hear it from miles away. They'd just sent out a search party for me and I was in trouble but wow was it worth it.

Love the sculptures especially the photo of the near 'head on' one. Difficult to better your paintings though. They capture them superbly.

Hope you've recovered sufficiently to lead the trip to Beidaihe this spring? I'm finding it difficult not to head there myself.

Cheers

Frank

Hi Mark,

Love them.

Brought back memories of me walking back in the dark to the 'old' huts on Happy Island for my evening meal. I'd had the beach to myself and an incredible spooner down to 10 metres. 'Twas calling also. I could hear it from miles away. They'd just sent out a search party for me and I was in trouble but wow was it worth it.

Love the sculptures especially the photo of the near 'head on' one. Difficult to better your paintings though. They capture them superbly.

Hope you've recovered sufficiently to lead the trip to Beidaihe this spring? I'm finding it difficult not to head there myself.

Cheers

Frank

Thanks Frank, I remember you telling me about the distinctive call when we were waiting for the old 'ice whites' to come over a few Autumns ago.

The hospital are 'allowing' me to go to China next week (like they could stop me providing I could breathe) as long as I take an entire pharmacy worth of med's with me just in case. If I find a Fairy Pitta I'm gonna need em! :-O

You and Chinese search parties hey! ;)

See you there hopefully.

please post more of these paintings you just keep stumbling upon!

Here's another one for you then, one I literally step over frequently, perhaps I'll finally get round to sorting all this mess out, I did say it would be an eclectic mix! Perhaps odd, lot of it done with a knife, Oil on Plywood, 3x2 foot or there about's.
Petrel slick - think I'd had a beer when I did this one!

Thanks to everyone for the comments :t:

Attachments

• Petrelslick.jpg
    Petrelslick.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Petreldetail2.jpg
    Petreldetail2.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 62
  • Petrel.detail.jpg
    Petrel.detail.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 74
and ammended/hacksawed/operated on Spoon-billed Sandpipers with added under-carriage.

Thanks Ed!

Attachments

• Spooner.ammended.jpg
    Spooner.ammended.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Spponer2.jpg
    Spponer2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
A strong resin I think, once I've added finer detail and polished them up a bit!

I'll photograph the process as it will be a first for me and may be of interest should anyone else want to have a go.

Definitely, happier with the shape now, though I almost cursed you when I nearly broke the open bill :eek!: Can't really put them in a vice!
and it's now a couple of cm's bigger than real life :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back