• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skua Cruise 2011, Sunday 4 September (1 Viewer)

yeah, so getting there early on the day is more important than booking ahead? standing room only is fine by me, not sure I'd want to sit when i'm looking for birds

yeah, so getting there early on the day is more important than booking ahead? standing room only is fine by me, not sure I'd want to sit when i'm looking for birds

Probably right to be honest although there are raised seats in the centre which would be better for viewing. Being at the front is obviously important and I have tended to sit on the bow for unobscured viewing.

Last edited:
Best place on the boat Ollie is about 5 places from the front on the side. Guaranteed to be near the action.
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
or the water when the boat hits the swell at the edge of the bay.

The side facing seats in the middle are great - unless all the action is happening behind you! I agree that being near to the front is best. Don't the guys close to the chumming action at the back do ok too? Never sat there...

Last year was great for the inner seats and very very wet for those on the outer seats. I'd be willing to queue up earlier to get prime positioning.

Mark.

The dates this year are

Saturday 10th and 17th September

Sunday 4th, 18th September, 2nd and 9th October

All 9.00am starts

Tickets £18.00 each.

First year I can remember where there were more Sundays than Saturday sailings.

As before lets all vote for preferred dates

I'm out of the country for all but the 4th of September and the October dates so those are the ones I'll be voting for.

Im tempted by the 27th Aug one as it probably represents the best chance of Long-tailed Skua which I still need.

Is the Aug 27th date now cancelled? cant find that date on the RSPB website under Skua Cruise

Dave

Dave

the 27th August is listed as 'the best of both' cruise on the flyer. Sails at 9.00am.

The meet is the 4th September cruise again sailing at 9.00am.

After umming and ahing over the last couple of weeks about the cost of weekend in Brid I don't think I'd forgive myself if you guys saw something good and I hadn't made it across... before I go booking a train/B&B, is there anyone going from neck of the woods that fancies a petrol money sharer?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back