• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skua Cruise 2011, Sunday 4 September (1 Viewer)

Last edited:
Looks like West would be a better coast to be on when the hurricane hits, but Accuweather is currently predicting SE or SSE winds on 1st, 2nd and 4th for Brid (although I've learnt that they aren't too "Accu" most of the time, especially on long term forecasts...)

Looks like West would be a better coast to be on when the hurricane hits, but Accuweather is currently predicting SE or SSE winds on 1st, 2nd and 4th for Brid (although I've learnt that they aren't too "Accu" most of the time, especially on long term forecasts...)

it's all down to them damned butterflies causing chaos.

Was Thinking more along the lines of wind strength, possible rainfall associated with it and whether the boat will be going out. If not then I'll probably be on the west coast looking for leach's and whatever else.

despite all this if it gets out its likely to be corking. Remember the GS and sooties were on the back of NWesterlies...

Seem to remember that north-westerlies can blow birds into the North Sea. Will certsinly be watching the news services and the weather forecasts

A few snaps to whet the appetite, taken on Saturdays jaunt. Some good birds in the North Sea at the moment, big place though.

EDIT: Looks like a Sabines got picked up at 3 points making its way south.

Attachments

• IMG_9474_filtered.jpg
    IMG_9474_filtered.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_9534_filtered.jpg
    IMG_9534_filtered.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_9544_filtered.jpg
    IMG_9544_filtered.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_9523_filtered_1.jpg
    IMG_9523_filtered_1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9551_filtered.jpg
    IMG_9551_filtered.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
sunday looks good on xc with regard going ahead - max speed 12mph at 7am dropping to 7mph by 1pm. Sadly the wind will have run gently southerly for 3 days by then but in it to win it and that...

Wasn't 10,00 Manxies an American band from the 80's?

Not too fussed about the afters. Preferably somewhere that doesn't move. Tacumshin would be nice

Park at the harbour. Try the slightly higher of the two car parks as it's cheaper (they look like they are one and the same but one is council and the other private). As for finding us - approach any likely looking group I guess and ask. Not sure who is going - we might well be trying to add purple sand to the day list by the steps on the harbour wall or talking about last years Bonelli's, the Amur falcon from 2 years ago or the great shear from 4(!!) years ago

Anyone one any thoughts on where afterwards or will we decide on the day?

I promise no hard boiled eggs ;)

I say see where the mood takes us all on the day- seems to have worked every year so far!

I've a good feeling about the cruise. Seems to be loads in the North Sea at the moment - I suspect it'll be the best one I've been on.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back