• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Theron Questa 8x42 and 10x42 (1 Viewer)

adhoc

Frank/"FrankD", I thought I would start a new thread rather than "bump" your very informative one on this binocular, as it is titled 'New Kid on the Block', and the Questa is no longer new.

Could you please make any longer-term comments on your 8x42 than in that thread, and comment on the 10x?

Other readers, could you please comment on your experience with the Questa in 8x42 or 10x42?

I have had the Leupold McKinley, which is nearly "clones with" the Theron Questa, should you be able to make any comparisons with it. That was in 8x42. Thank you!

Surprised there hasn't been any responses yet. I haven't ever looked through the Theron, but it IS the binocular I recommend to anyone looking for best bang for buck under $500. A good birding friend of mine has the 8x42 and loves it especially the optical performance.

I use Tract Toric 10x42 which is a few hundred more expensive than the Theron Questa. I'd love to compare them sometime because I love the Tract Toric. The Questa is only $399. I remember they use to be $500. So they are a great price today.

This is an old thread, but funnily enough I just spent some time at a local overlook comparing the 8x Questa and 10xToric. Just returned the Toric to Amazon. It's a great bino, but it isn't any better than the Theron.

I've bought and sold A LOT of $1k range binos that weren't really any better than the Questa. If I ever find a used 10x available I'd be on it like white on rice.

It's stunning for a sub $500 optic.

HoodieOR, reports generally convey that the 10x is not as good as the 8x. This is so with the Theron Questa and the other binoculars that are "clones with" it, or nearly, viz. the Zen-Ray Prime and Leupold McKinley. I don't remember specifics, only that the experience is less satisfying. This idea might be seen somewhere in the thread I refer to above, and will be seen in threads on the 10xs of those other models.

I would go further than you, and others have done so, about clarity, in those other models. A McKinley 8x42 I had was to my eyes alpha or near-alpha in sharpness, CA control, contrast, stray light control, and apparent brightness. But it appears that in those optical quality is variable, probably co-related to general quality control. It is very surprising to me that there aren't more (maybe any!) reports or references recently on the Theron Questa in this forum and few in others.

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me if the 10x isn't the bino the 8x is. I've heard people prefer the 8x Toric as well. To echo your sentiment, since I've owned the Questa I've had a 12x50 Meostar HD, a 10x42 Monarch HG, an 11x45 Maven B2, and a 10x42 Toric.

All of them were great. And I sold all of them.

The field flatteners in the Questa have made me a snob about edge sharpness. The Meopta controlled CA a little better, and the Monarch HG may have been just a smidge brighter, but the Questa was a better total package for me. The Nikon had similar "Wow" factor for me, but it wasn't any better so I couldn't justify paying double for it.

As far as QC, I think Theron may have been a little more consistent than Leupold or Zen-Ray. I've never heard anyone complain about a Questa or any of their previous models (which I haven't tried).

This is a pretty subjective aspect but another thing I liked about the McKinley was its color rendition and I gather from what I read that the Questa is similar in that. In Frank's thread he says, "Truly a beautiful, natural image greets your eyes every time you look through it." I found in the McKinley's image a kind of calmness. Sorry if that's too scientific and precise :)

What is happening at, or with, Theron Optics? A Google search brings up the first item attached (as an image) here, and clicking on that brings up the second. Clicking on the options in this leads to some text that is not very helpful to me!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 6
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back