• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why should I want to know your life/UK/patch list? (2 Viewers)

.... As for Andrew's posting I'll admit I found it rather cryptic as my dictionary doesn't have 'ravid' in it and I've not the faintest idea who Larry David is!
John

Me neither actually, but anyway, as somebody said, I can't believe we're expending mental energy on this. All the best.......

As a computer illiteratre, I can't even quote any part of an article , never mind all of it

Finally, I see that you don't have an avatar, yet most others do. Why? Why do we have to see daft pictures alongside everybody's posting? A lot of those seem to be trying to make a point, but why?
Avatars are useful - they allow one to easily spot who has made which post and either read or skip, depending on one's feelings about the poster. The avatar is much more easily recognised than the name (especially for those of us reading in the blurry-eyeness of a Monday morning).

But who cares what you think? Why do you think your so called wake up call means anything to anyone? I'd never noticed it before. It's as irrelavent (and by the way, even more childish) than my lists. Let's get on with life.....

...served it's purpose at last though? ;-)

Have to say one or two people enjoyed the irony when they realised who said it. (Wasted on the list-retentive, obviously..)

John - don't worry, you're not alone, you're in a minority of two.. it's not us who're paranoid, it's the rest of the world...

...served it's purpose at last though? ;-)

Did it? Ok, as long as you're happy.

Have to say one or two people enjoyed the irony when they realised who said it. (Wasted on the list-retentive, obviously..)

Some kind of private joke is it? Sorry you've completely lost me.

John asked for a reason why people put their lists on their signatures. I replied in a reasoned way and told him why I do it. You may find it hard to understand, you may even find it idiotic, but all I have been trying to point out is that it is no more daft than a stupid avatar or asking me what my favourite bird is. I've already said that showing my lists in my signature prove nothing and they're only a bit of fun.

Your signature on the otherhand is quite definitely a message. You claim to be sending me a "wake-up" call and presumably include me in the "list-retentive" group. Your signature is at least mildly confrontational. Why are you so concerned about people who keep lists. Do you have some kind of inferiority complex? If so, chill out. I'm not trying to prove that I'm better than you. It's all in your mind.

Can I ask that in future when people read replies like mine on this thread, they don't imagine me sneering and snarling, they think of me replying in a jovial couldn't careless kind of way, because that's actually nearer the truth. Just try re-reading my replies in that spirit, and maybe things won't get so heated.

Your signature on the otherhand is quite definitely a message. You claim to be sending me a "wake-up" call and presumably include me in the "list-retentive" group. Your signature is at least mildly confrontational. Why are you so concerned about people who keep lists. Do you have some kind of inferiority complex? If so, chill out. I'm not trying to prove that I'm better than you. It's all in your mind.

Curb your enthusiasm

(make that a minority of 3 )

Attachments

• Larry_David.jpg
    Larry_David.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Curb Your Enthusiasm was a very overrated post-modern trendy comedy about a bloke who no matter where he went would always make an embarassing social faux pas. Imagine Fawlty Towers but without any of the humour and you're pretty close to what it was like!

Tom

Curb Your Enthusiasm was a very overrated post-modern trendy comedy about a bloke who no matter where he went would always make an embarassing social faux pas. Imagine Fawlty Towers but without any of the humour and you're pretty close to what it was like!
Tom

Thanks Tom. Bit of a down to earth guy me, a spade is a spade as far as I'm concerned. Post-modern trendy comedies and embarassing social faux pas play no part in my life (the latter perhaps, but not knowingly!), and hopefully never will. Fawlty Towers was good though.....

Tom

oh Tom,
say it ain't so!!
How can the funniest voice on BF have such poor taste in comedy???!!

;)

I completely disagree with John. I think it should be compulsory to post at least national and self-found lists under posts
[...]
And then I forget to add my self-found numbers...!
Please insert: Dutch self-found (Punkbirder rules): 256. UK self found (Punkbirder rules): 150.

say it ain't so!!

I loved Seinfeld, hate Curb - that crappy twee music is probably what puts me off most, perhaps I should watch it in subtitles?

Incidentally, I think there should be a size limit to how much crap you can have as a signature. Some threads get so blocked up with poems and quotes that I can't find the actual posts!

Last edited:
(long rant)

Ahh, I enjoy a nice rant. Thanks for posting! Oh, and I'd better get into the spirit of things: here is my new sig.

----------------------------------------------------------
UK List: nil
Berkshire List: zero
European List: zip
Norway List: none
Life List: not sure. Want me to guess?
Shopping List: milk, eggs, butter, salt

I've been a bit embarassed about my rather pathetic list, but this thread has given me the confidence to post. So thanks all.

Woodlice (world life) 4 Woodlice (uk life) 4 Woodlice (world/uk year 3)Woodlice (self found 4)

Incidentally, I think there should be a size limit to how much crap you can have as a signature. Some threads get so blocked up with poems and quotes that I can't find the actual posts!

I know what you mean, it makes me chuckle how often the signature is longer than the post...

Now your talking. A much more serious problem..... long signatures (keep in mind the smiling face - this might help ;) )

Life list totals

I think it is good that birders/twitchers post their life list totals! It shows they are passionate about their hobby.

Getting the motivation/time/money/luck in sync at the same time is something to celebrate isn't it?

I agree that a big list doesn't indicate your ability. The beter birdwatchers I come across, seem to be local patch watchers who may or may not twitch.

If you are blessed with good eyesight, good hearing, brain full of bird data etc and have just seen a new bird. You probably get the same amout of enjoyment as a novice seeing his first Bullfinch.

In fact it would be nice to see more of the British Birding population disclosing their lifelists etc on the listing websites such as Bubo and Netfugl.

......I agree that a big list doesn't indicate your ability. The beter birdwatchers I come across, seem to be local patch watchers who may or may not twitch.

If you are blessed with good eyesight, good hearing, brain full of bird data etc and have just seen a new bird. You probably get the same amout of enjoyment as a novice seeing his first Bullfinch...

Gary, I agree with everything you have said.

I might also point out, that I very rarely twitch these days, and that my UK list has only increased by about 30 species in the last 15 years.

This is because I spend almost all of my birding time at my local patch. Last year I visited my local patch on over 200 different days, sometimes spending nearly all day there. On top of that, there is an area of farmland that I survey on my bike, about 15 miles in total. I visited that on 60 different days last year, racking up a total of 900 miles of carbon free birding in the process. I go out surveying on my bike in rain, wind, hail and occasionally sunshine, throughout the year from January to December.

I am also a founder member and secretary of our local wildlife group, and play an active part in local conservation. So don't assume that just because a birder keeps a list, that it means he is a twitcher. I probably do a lot more local birding and a lot more to help conservation than many who have replied to this thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back