• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (13 Viewers)

Currently at a life bird stalemate for a while with Yellow-billed Loon at 1,258. Not a bad species to be stuck on, though.
Indeed, same here (Black-whiskered Vireo last June), and unless some neat vagrant shows up locally, probably won't change until spring. I did get a new mammal on the first of the year though, Eastern Pygmy Shrew, so that is something...

Like Tiraya above, I too had a life bird stalemate (in my case, for two years). It was broken last year when I was able to see and photograph Western Screech and Great Grey Owls in Anchorage. The pictures are poor, and in one case shot by a cell phone through 8x20 binoculars, but it was nice to get something.

Attachments

• W screech owl.jpeg
    W screech owl.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Great Grey.jpeg
    Great Grey.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 8
I just got back from the Yucatan for a family vacation, but squeezed in my first ever guided tour and ended up with 42 lifers on the tour, in addition to 10 others I found on my own at our resort. This was my first international birding experience, outside of relatively low-diversity USVI, so really an amazing experience.
We had a mixed flock near the end of the day, so I'm not sure which bird was truly my most recent lifer, so I'll choose royal flycatcher since it's such an awesome bird.
Having a guide in a jungle environment where you really need to key in to unfamiliar calls and sounds was great. For anyone looking for a guide in the Yucatan, Miguel with Amar Aves Birding was fantastic. We ended the day with 80 species, virtually of which were forest birds, and nearly all of which we got good looks at.

Last life bird (Sarah) was Rockrunner which she finally saw well in Daan Viljoen Park near Windhoek after missing it 5 times.

Attachments

• rockrunner.JPG
    rockrunner.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 8
Not a life bird, but a life image seris. I wanted this image for a super long time now. Cranes at WWT Slimbridge, out on the Severn estuary area
IMG_6731.JPG
IMG_6692.JPG
IMG_6649.JPG
Also, two life birds which are probable (Ross's goose) and potential (snow goose-no ring on leg) escapes at the Severn I still counted on my life list, and was extremely excited to see them.
Depending on how next weekend goes, a bird I wanted to see since childhood may smash all of that excitement to pieces, despite being an introduced species in the UK...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back