• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8x32EL - Calling all owners! (1 Viewer)

Are you fully digital(ized)? or do you occasionally reel back real films?
Just curious as a cat,
Tiger Tom (a full 10 min. behind)

Thomas,

Get this ...

Film cameras for all my professional work; digital for all my "point and shoot". Mind you, my professional subject matter is generally quite still (architecture and interiors), so I'm after the kind of detail that digital just can't match yet. Plus I need the movements of a view camera for various technical reasons.

I use Sinar 4x5 and Hasselblad 2.25 camera systems that are each 25 years old and still outperforming this year's latest digital offering. My two year old Nikon D2x is now considered virtually obsolete, certainly inferior, when compared to it's successor, the D3. (And the Sinar is Swiss made, just like the finest freshwater submarines in the world!)

That's not to say I don't value digital, I do. But as a performance junkie there is no comparing 35mm digital capture to large format film photography. Note, though, that all post production is digital from high resolution drum scanning (to 400 MB, or more) to selective retouching in photoshop.

Time to gather up the worms; I think I just dropped the can.

Say "cheese" ...

Robert

Thomas,

Get this ...

Film cameras for all my professional work; digital for all my "point and shoot". Mind you, my professional subject matter is generally quite still (architecture and interiors), so I'm after the kind of detail that digital just can't match yet. Plus I need the movements of a view camera for various technical reasons.

I use Sinar 4x5 and Hasselblad 2.25 camera systems that are each 25 years old and still outperforming this year's latest digital offering. My two year old Nikon D2x is now considered virtually obsolete, certainly inferior, when compared to it's successor, the D3. (And the Sinar is Swiss made, just like the finest freshwater submarines in the world!)

That's not to say I don't value digital, I do. But as a performance junkie there is no comparing 35mm digital capture to large format film photography. Note, though, that all post production is digital from high resolution drum scanning (to 400 MB, or more) to selective retouching in photoshop.

Time to gather up the worms; I think I just dropped the can.

Say "cheese" ...

Robert

So you're a great Sinnar then?!
I appreciated that before ;)

So here we go: "Swisssssssss cheeeeese!"

Got it? Large aperture, please. And a softener. Plus some backlight. As no Photoshop is going to wipe out those wrinkles on my old, ramshackle seafarer#s face.

Not being able to make a living behind a camera, let alone in front of it,
Ahab

Last edited:
Wot, all gone back to birding? Then ".....I only am escaped alone to tell thee".

A.S. Sancho
formerly of Swiss Naval Submarine Vessel "Pequod".

Not to worry, Mssr. Sancho ...

While strolling the grounds Thomas distracted the guards while I made a dupe of the key. We'll be out again soon, my friend.

Robert,
(Very) Petty Officer,
Italian Swiss Colonial Navy

I have to agree with Tom. I can't find a lot wrong with the Swarovski site. The worst one I have found is Nikon's. Unless they have updated it recently, there are no details about the ED50 scope on the UK site anywhere, and that must be one of their best selling lines at the moment.

Ron

For Nikon you should go the original site and then choose the English version (just as you do with Swarovski or Zeiss):

http://nikon.topica.ne.jp/bi_e/index.htm

Heikki

A.S. Sancho
formerly of Swiss Naval Submarine Vessel "Pequod".

Oh Sancho,
why have you retired from naval Service.
By the way, the Pequod has lately been seen in the northwestern Pacific by an air surveillance Sea Hawk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SH-60_Sea_Hawk). If was heading towards Seattle - they seem to have business there. Rumours have it they are after secret files full of compromising photos kept by an illustrous photographer.

North-northwest, Sancho, 20 deg.
Captain Ramius

From reading this thread I think the Swarovski EL 8x32 is currently top of my list for binoculars to try out.
Ron

Ron,
only to make the decision-making for you a little bit more difficult yet,

if you looking for a high-performance binocular that blows away all other binoculars,

you may include, along with the EL32 (and several others), this new model

on your shortlist:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/
(16 Feb 2008).

It's a limited edition. Not many items will be made. So you'll probbably have to run to get one |:$|

Tom

PS: I know how painful making up one's mind is. Did not intent to ridicule it but to alleviate it by a grain of light hearted humour.

Last edited:
For Nikon you should go the original site and then choose the English version (just as you do with Swarovski or Zeiss):

http://nikon.topica.ne.jp/bi_e/index.htm

Heikki

Thanks Heikki. I have navigated to the site that way before but it appears that Nikon have updated the site recently and it now includes the ED50. My apologies to Nikon. There still appears to be a few bits of information which are missing or hard to find, such as eyepieces for the ED50.

http://www.europe-nikon.com/family/en_GB/categories/broad/337.html

Ron

i've just got a pair of 8 x 32 ELs and i'm gobsmacked - technical terminology there! Had them a week and decided that yomping around with a telescope is now not justified - don't need it!
I thought my 7 year old beloved Opticron imagic, 8 x 42, were great at "turning on a light" when peering through the mist, but the Swaros - like being up there with the buzzards that I could just about see with the naked eye! Build quality -amazing, feel in the hand - amazing, optics - amazing! and dare I say the price is justified. I looked at the other "big names", but the price and/or vital statistics didn't compare to the Swaros.

Glad to hear you're happy with them, Jaxman....hope you get many years of faithful service for hem. And rest assured that if anything should ever go wrong (which it won't), Swaro will bend over backwards to repair them for you. To be honest, I've had romances with a few pairs of bins over the years, some of them brief but torrid flirtations, some of them more serious, bordering on long-term commitment.....but of the handful of pairs I now own, all of which I love, the Swaro 8x32 EL are the ones I wouldn't be without. (My other faves that I've kept are Nikon EII 10x35, Canon IS 12x36, and Leica BR 8x20. I mention these not as a jewellery display, but to show what I compare my EL's to. They all have their uses and strengths, but the best "all-rounders" for me are the EL's). Congrats on your new binos, and Happy Birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back