• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8x32EL - Calling all owners! (3 Viewers)

Is that the standard rainguard or a special rainguard?

My only concern with winged eyecups is condensation from lack of air circulation.

Also, ThoLa, is that 'functional bag', on the Swaro link you posted, the standard case supplied with the 8x32ELs?

I think it's a special rainguard. I suspect you'll get it along with a pair of the winged eyecups.

The "functional bag" is presumably the ones the new binos are coming with.
They must be pretty useless as they do not have a strap. The Leica disease spreds.
Zeiss Victories seem to be the only ones nowadays that come with a bag that is of any use. Sad.

As regards extras, you may download a brochure on the models you're intersted in:
http://www.swarovskioptik.com/index...236__ID434cbb9cbaff88.00618154&produktname=EL

It will probably give all the information you'll need. It's available in English.

Thomas

Forgive me for being a bit dense here but if the normal eyecups twist out to the desired position, how does that work with the winged eyecups. Can you rotate the wings when the eyecups are in the correct position or have I misunderstood how they work?

Ron

I have not seen them in real life. Shops don't usually have them.
I think Swarovski should include them into their package.
They look certainly more useful than the snap shot adapter that comes with their binos now. Couldn't care about that.

I guess they'll stay in a fixed position. They ought to look odd if you turn the wings upside! Wouldn't help much, too.
Maybe they are soft so they can be easily squeezed tight to the eyesockets?

T

They twist. There are no click stops, but positions are firm and stable at any point on the turn.
Thanks Robert. In that case I still don't quite understand how you can twist the eyecups out to the correct position and then adjust the position of the wings without changing the eyecup position which you have just set. Unless the wings are an additional piece which clips over the existing eyecup.

Edit. I have often wondered about this with the Steiner Discovery binocular. Perhaps I should get out more!

Ron

Last edited:
Dialyt,

Best to read a fair number of the previous posts. Thomas and I appear to be on a 3 minute delayed response (we're both confusing, and confused, enough in real time).

(Dr. "Freud" - Did we not synchronize our watches when last in Geneva?)

Thomas and I ... (we're both confusing, and confused, enough in real time).

It's the aftereffects of both of us having been prisoners in a Swiss Navy interrogation camp once. Clockwork Orange - wasn't that the secret code by which is was known in sec serv circles?

(Dr. "Freud" - Did we not synchronize our watches when last in Geneva?)

No, no. Swiss watches ALWAYS give the precise time, of course. It's this Einstein thing...... yes, this "time is like chewing gum" thing that the weird-haired Doc has invented .... and then lost track of.

Eh, what's the time now?

Going in wheels within wheels,
Willy the Wheasel

From reading this thread I think the Swarovski EL 8x32 is currently top of my list for binoculars to try out.

The real question is: do I buy a cheapskate DSLR camera and telephoto lens or a top notch 'lifetime' binocular? I can't afford both. I think the binocular will probably win.

Ron

Dialyt, you should pay Black & Lizars a visit, at 8 Wellington Place, Belfast. I personally found the gentleman behind the counter less than welcoming and helpful, to the extent that I took my business elsewhere, but they do stock Swarovski and Leica binoculars. (Perhaps I didn't look like a serious customer because I'm in my mid-twenties.)

Swarovski make beautiful binoculars, but they haven't a clue about the importance of online marketing. Their website is comically bad: ugly and dysfunctional. Even ancient German companies like Zeiss and Leica have more useful websites, with large glossy PDF brochures available for download. These give one an idea of the "fit and finish" and "look and feel" of the products, which is essential information for making a choice.

The internet is where most people research a major purchase these days, and premium binoculars are things one tends to mull over for a long time before making the commitment (or maybe that's just me?). Lots of places in Europe have poor access to binocular stores, and the storekeepers are loath to let one just mess about with a bunch of binoculars for literally hours, only to leave without buying anything, and perhaps repeat this process for a few days over a couple of weeks before buying. But that service is the only thing they can offer over online stores! Their inability to see this astonishes me, and their fate is guaranteed if they don't wake up soon. The market of dupes who can't comparison-shop online is rapidly becoming extinct, and nobody will knowingly pay more if there is no added value.

Whoops, I'm ranting about the sheer ineptitude of the marketing and selling of binoculars once again. Apologies all around.

Give Black & Lizars a visit; I may have had bad luck there. Or maybe cross the pond and check out US stores, where customer service seems to be given some consideration. Prices are far better there too, due to the current exchange rate, better competition, and economies of scale.

Last edited:
Dorian,
I totally agree, that is why and how I ended up buying my Ultravids from a local store. I could have ordered them sight unseen and perhaps gotten a little better deal, or bought a bin that wasn't available here such as the high end Nikon or Zeiss, but my local guy encouraged me to spend hours over the course of weeks comparing every bin in his case. He even let me take two pair home over a weekend to use in my yard.

What became apparent was that slight differences in shape of face, color sensitivity and other personal issues matter a lot when choosing a binocular. I would never been able to pick the best bin for me just based on internet forum advise. As a bonus this local guy was less expensive than any internet source I have found.

Dialyt, you should pay Black & Lizars a visit, at 8 Wellington Place, Belfast. I personally found the gentleman behind the counter less than welcoming and helpful, to the extent that I took my business elsewhere, but they do stock Swarovski and Leica binoculars. (Perhaps I didn't look like a serious customer because I'm in my mid-twenties.)

Swarovski make beautiful binoculars, but they haven't a clue about the importance of online marketing. Their website is comically bad: ugly and dysfunctional. Even ancient German companies like Zeiss and Leica have more useful websites, with large glossy PDF brochures available for download. These give one an idea of the "fit and finish" and "look and feel" of the products, which is essential information for making a choice.

The internet is where most people research a major purchase these days, and premium binoculars are things one tends to mull over for a long time before making the commitment (or maybe that's just me?). Lots of places in Europe have poor access to binocular stores, and the storekeepers are loath to let one just mess about with a bunch of binoculars for literally hours, only to leave without buying anything, and perhaps repeat this process for a few days over a couple of weeks before buying. But that service is the only thing they can offer over online stores! Their inability to see this astonishes me, and their fate is guaranteed if they don't wake up soon. The market of dupes who can't comparison-shop online is rapidly becoming extinct, and nobody will knowingly pay more if there is no added value.

Whoops, I'm ranting about the sheer ineptitude of the marketing and selling of binoculars once again. Apologies all around.

Give Black & Lizars a visit; I may have had bad luck there. Or maybe cross the pond and check out US stores, where customer service seems to be given some consideration. Prices are far better there too, due to the current exchange rate, better competition, and economies of scale.

Yes you are right - they are quite unfriendly in that store. I've been there myself. They have been listed as an official Leica dealer in the past, not sure if this is the case, but last time I talked to them they said they don't stock Leica binoculars. I don't think they know what they stock.

But I'll give them a call and see if they have the Swaro 8x32EL in stock so I can examine it.

As regards usefulness of websites, I'd say the Leica site is top, followed by Zeiss and Swarovski. Kowa's site is pretty poor, as is Nikon's, as regards the quantity and quallity of information available.

Last edited:

Well, I am not feeling quite at ease with this judgement.
For example, the Leica website contains information that is plain rubbish ("glass made from the crystalline Fluorite..." - pure physical nonsense).
You may download a pdf, yes, but you HAVE TO do it if you want any technical specifications. The website does not give any useful information.
If you want a printed version of their catalogue - a MUST for a posh company - you have to search with lots of ingenuity to find contact information. Then you have to send an e-mail. There is no simple check-list.
Zeiss has it, and they'll send something in print at once.
All the information is there on their website, too.
Swarovski has all the tech info readily available.

The Leica site is too "Gucci" for my taste.
Swarovski optics website is the easiest to operate as it is not littered with gimmicks.

Online shops would be nice but the companies would charge their fancy list-prices which are out of this world. No one in their right minds will pay that much.

Just my personal, skewed thoughts.
Tom

From reading this thread I think the Swarovski EL 8x32 is currently top of my list for binoculars to try out.

The real question is: do I buy a cheapskate DSLR camera and telephoto lens or a top notch 'lifetime' binocular? I can't afford both. I think the binocular will probably win.

Ron

Ron,

I'd also check on the comparative offerings from Leica and Zeiss for a thorough comparison. (Maybe a few other makes as well).

Re top bins vs. camera: If limited to only one for now, I'd go bins. Digital camera technology is progressing on such a steep curve that no matter what you buy today it will be a virtual dinosaur in a year's time. Might as well have something that stands a chance of actually becoming a 'lifetime' piece of equipment, and I think binocular engineering is pretty much reaching the effective limits of diminishing returns. A wisely chosen pair of binoculars today will still be serving you admirably in 20 years. The camera system can come a bit later when funds allow. Conceptually, I'd also place a higher value on enhancing my ability to experience an event (bins) as opposed to recording the event (camera, obviously). Just my opinion, of course, but a considered one since I make my living behind a camera!

Robert

I have to agree with Tom. I can't find a lot wrong with the Swarovski site. The worst one I have found is Nikon's. Unless they have updated it recently, there are no details about the ED50 scope on the UK site anywhere, and that must be one of their best selling lines at the moment.

Ron

Last edited:
I have to agree with Tom. I can't find a lot wrong with the Swarovski site. The worst one I have found is Nikon's. Unless they have updated it recently, there is no mention of the ED50 scope on the UK site anywhere, and that must be one of their best selling lines at the moment.

Ron

Ron - We just posted at the same time. Be sure to go back a page for a reply to one of your earlier comments. Robert

Thanks Robert. I've read your earlier post and there is some good advice there re. the camera versus binocular dilemma. Given that it would be a top quality binocular but a bottom of the range camera and lens I think the answer is obvious.

When I try the binoculars I intend to look at the Swarovski EL 8x32, the Zeiss FL 8x32, the Nikon HG L 8x32 and, possibly, the Leica Ultravid 8x32, although I think the new HD version is well outside my budget. There might be a few others to try as well. A trip to Cley Spy is definitely called for.;)

Edit. My present bins are Swift HHS 8.5x44 roofs, so I will be interested to see how the latest 8x32s compare.

Ron

Last edited:
I have to agree with Tom. I can't find a lot wrong with the Swarovski site.
Ron

Thank you !!

Maybe they could spice it up by having a little contest with a prize draw every now and then. 1st prize: a nice 8x30.
I guess we'd all meet there on a daily basis?!

The worst one I have found is Nikon's.
Ron

Maybe it's comforting to know that their german site is equally poor.
No technical specifications on the instruments.
No contact form.
No downloads.
I think they could save money by just shutting it down. ;)

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back