• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2014 (1 Viewer)

Hi Clive, sorry you did not connect. I think I am turning into a retired twitcher, I knew about the bird and didn't even go! A couple of years ago I would have left before dawn and would have been running around like a lunatic. I spent the day with the boys at the Cap ses Salines and had a great time watching the raptors from there. I will be in touch later in the week and hope we can meet up. Mike

I believe that the shrike is best seen in the evenings from the platform at the Depuradora, Albefuera. It is a cloudy night tonight so it is doubtful the bird will leave under these conditions. I am going tomorrow evening and I will report, so I am not quite cured yet. Mike

No sign of the shrike today despite extensive searching. A Rock pipit has been seen, details to follow, I think it is only the third sighting in Mallorca ever so the run of good birds continues. More people looking now though which makes me very happy, Mike

Hi Mike
I see that it was seen in s'Albufera (but no exact location) and assumed, from its exhausted state, to be a recent arrival so it may be around for some time, feeding. I hope people get to see it.
Martin

High winds and torrential rain today so no news on anything. I am going up north tomorrow and will post anything I hear about. If the Rock pipit was exhausted when it arrived it would have been very challenging for it to survive the conditions today. Mike

Starling numbers are building up at Albufera, we saw several groups of thousands but the big show is yet to come when perhaps half a million birds gather in one group and swirl around trying to avoid the hunting Merlin and Peregrine. The Marsh harrier also have a go but they look cumbersome and so slow in comparison and they seem to miss every time. It is all a bit later than last year I think but it has been very mild this autumn. The display is fabulous, all viewed from the platform in a setting sun, unforgettable. Mike

All a bit quiet at the moment, a few Common crane around, Kingfishers back and a few Goldcrest being seen, they are quite a hard bird to catch up with here. I am back in the UK for two weeks but will have a good scoot round when I get back with target birds such as Ring ouzel, Penduline tit and Alpine acccentor. Nice and warm here so I had better wrap up, I nearly died of cold last year at Liverpool airport. Mike

Hi Mike, been following the thread. Thinking of Majorca next year staying at Purto Pollensa. I know usually folk say go in spring but loos like the earliest I can manage is June. Would the birding be still okay then?

Hi Robert, sorry for the delay, I am in the UK at the moment and have been off-line. June is still a great month to be in Mallorca although it begins to get a bit hot some years. Eleanora's falcons are spectacular around the central plain and the marsh, still a few raptors moving through, breeding birds very active especially Bee-eaters, larks, pipits and still some warblers, waders good both on the marsh and at Salobrar de Campos. The beginning of June is better than the end, August is about the quietest month of the year and too hot. Let me know nearer the time if you have any target birds and I will try to help. Mike

Hi Mike, been following the thread. Thinking of Majorca next year staying at Purto Pollensa. I know usually folk say go in spring but loos like the earliest I can manage is June. Would the birding be still okay then?

Robert,

I can recommend going in June, pleased with the birding and wildlife I saw and details of my visit this year are in this trip report - Mallorca trip June 2014.

In Puerto Pollensa I found La Gola/'Smelly river' quiet, with Serins, Sardinian Warbler and Stonechat in the surrounding scrub and Fan-tailed Warbler in the rough ground beyond. If I go back, which I hope to do, I would like to spend more time around Torrent de Sant Jordi and visit Albufereta. I didn't go birding further afield around the island but Mike and the other great contributors to this thread will be sure to give some info.

Gi

Hi from a cold and wet Northampton. Just a brief question- in the Hearl guides to Mallorca published in the late 1990s by Arlequin Press, there is a tantalising reference to a possible book in preparation by Hearl and Muddiman on the Birds of the Balearic Islands. Obviously with the passing of Graham Hearl there would have been problems continuing the project, but is there still any hope of a modern up-to-date avifauna being published?

Back home in Mallorca now. Don't seem to have missed too much, a couple of Hawfinch (I have never seen one in Mallorca) and a Short-eared owl, (ditto). Some Slender-billed gulls and quite a few groups of Common crane around Albufereta and Salobrar. Will post any more news and keep up to date with winter birds. Mike

Hi
Reported elsewhere - a very late Long-eared Owl was seen in flight this afternoon at the Depuradora.
Martin

Just a report on this year's "Big Year". Pep is out front with 202 and he deserves it, he has been out nearly every day this year. Numbers well down on last year as there has not been such a variety. I think I was 15th last year but am 5th at the moment. I still need a few relatively easy ones, Med gull, Alpine accentor and Bluethroat, Short-eared owl would be nice too. Not too late for a surprise or two, I fancied a wintering Yellow-browed or Hume's, you never know. Mike

A few Red-rumped swallows being seen following an almighty storm here yesterday. They are very welcome and have brightened up these quiet times. Also Red-breasted mergansers being seen around the coast although mainly in the north. mike

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back